Cane Pole'n

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by indiana_fishin, Jan 2, 2006.

1. indiana_fishin

indiana_fishin New Member

State:
    Indiana Baby
    Do any of you guys fish with cane poles?I've seen people using them before at a pay lake.If you do use 1,why? :confused: is it fun fishing with a cane pole?

2. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ain't nothing with fishing with a cane pole. my dad use one all the time, and catch pently fish with it.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    years back when the paylakes around me used to stock those HUGE canadian shellcrackers i used a canepole also. i take it your talking about those long teloscopic poles. i used to ask the same thing, why? a cane pole, especially the longer ones, are great for getting into the very tight spots where the shellcrackers were and lifting them straight up and out of there without getting hung up.

4. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I used to use one for bullhead fishin, but then got a rod and reel, went fishin for northern and walleye, still got the rod, but have changed the reel a few times. get more distance with a rod and reel, but cane poles are fun too.

5. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Here in Northwest Mo. Our rivers are wide and shallow. I use a cane pole and a nail apron to carry bait and tackle I walk down the river fishing the drifts and channels. I can normally catch 20-30 small cats from 3/4 to 3 lbs each trip. Using a cane pole I can reach right in there where they live. with a cane pole I normally don't have Meany hang ups. I use a dough bait that I make from deer meat. I grind the scraps and add other ingredients. When I am hungry for fish thats where I go.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Wow! Something happened to the site and I not only lost my post, but access to a couple of hundred posts made since my last visit. I'll give it one more try.

I've never used a cane pole for cats, but I used to use them for bass fishing. I'd tie on a big topwater lure with 12"-18" of line and drag it all around stumps and such. It can get really interesting with a nice fish on that short a line with no way to give line...it's just you and the fish, head to head. Be sure to wrap the line around the pole down from the tip all the way to the butt so that when the pole breaks you still have the fish on. And yes, you'll break a few poles if you're using a regular cane pole. I finally broke down and brought back a couple of Calcutta cane poles from Florida. We used to use them down there for fishing the jetties, again with a very short line. Move along the jetty, sticking your bait into every hole in the rocks you could find. Sometimes you'd get them out, and sometimes you wouldn't.

7. jeffjbeard

jeffjbeard New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    I read a story about cane poleing for flatheads with long stout cane poles in shallow rivers wadeing. They would look for tree and bank over hangs the way they hand fish and use the long poles to put the bait right in front of the flatheads sounde like a fun way to fish.

8. Parasite

Parasite New Member

State:
    N.Colorado
    I use a cane pole sometimes for trout fishing in a float tube. I use a bobber and a small nyph or dry fly. Its really fun when you get those hawg rainbows on.

9. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Adam
    I use a 3pc cheap bamboo cane pole for bait fishing. I use a short, light, line and a very small bobber, reach right back into the weedy shallow areas. Really great for good control. I like to keep the bait moving so gills and such don't get a chance to swallow the bait. Luck

10. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Keep a 5' one in the boat for a gill here and there, Daughter likes to mess with them during the day, but I have probably 6-7 up in the rafters drying from last season, some are 12-14", yes they are a fun time fishing for all types of fish, and make great bank poles also.

11. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I like to use on about ten feet long for catching bream around tree tops and logs on thee river.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you want a little unbreakable rod for bait, get one of those little metal rods for kids. Although very short, they are really pretty good rods. Because I use mine for baitfish, I broke my own rule and put a closed face spinning reel on it. (Don't like 'em.)