cane pole

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by unclebobo, Feb 20, 2008.

1. unclebobo

unclebobo New Member

State:
    missouri
    My uncle who cant get out much due to health problems gave me all his fishing equipment & tackle included in this were 3 cane poles.I know as a kid we used these alot for bluegill or crappie the older I got I seemed to have forget about the "old cane Pole" was just curious if anyone here still uses them?

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    most definitely.

i have one that i still use for gill fishing in thick cover. and one that i keep on my uncle's peer to catch white trout with under the lights.

actually, i have been thinking about cane pole's alot lately. the closer my wife gets to d-day, the more i think about teachin' my boy the fine art of drownin' crickets.

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i used to use one when i was younger. there was a little old lady that used to let me fish her pond and thats all she would use. she would sit out there all afternoon and pull in bluegill and crappie hand over fist.

4. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    Started out with one and I guess i'll have one around till the end.

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Doesn't everyone?Even Bass fishermen have been using them for 230,yes two hundred and thirty years.The first bass rig.William Bartram described them "Bobbin" for bass in his journal.They must have been starving as they were catching them to eat.Yuk!

Stored properly in a garage,barn or shelter,the good ones(fire cured) would last for many years.The longest that I have ever seen were the "Calcutta".I have seen one of these 28 feet long before trimming.A woman gave me a dollar to walk it un cut 3 1/2 miles to her house as it was too long to haul in the traffic.It came in while her husband was gone off.The tips on these were cut back,sometimes to the thickness of a mans middle finger or thumb to use for huge Jew fish,oops(Warsaw Grouper) in southern Florida shallow waters.

Can you believe 100-200-300 lb.fish on a cane pole?The fish would wear itself out pulling the boat for miles at times.Seen it,ain't done it my self (handle the pole).I was just a kid along for the ride and to bail.If you got a great big one you could not haul aboard,you sunk the boat to get the fish in,then leveled it up where the sides were all just out of the water and bailed the water out.You had to do this to keep the sharks off of it and you had to watch good when you were getting the fish in the boat.Sometimes they lost the fish.Bad situation.I get tickled when I see the words "Shark Fighting".They need to be waist deep with a sunk boat and a bloody Jew fish.You can not believe how fast you can bail that water out of that boat!Done that once.My friends dad caught and sold them at the Ice house when they wanted one.

I used the poles up to twenty foot for fishing for sheepshead in the rock jetties of Fl. and Ga.and Jack fishing in the rivers.I have two 14 ft.hanging in the garage.They were also great for fishing around in the Santee log jams of the 50's.

They have largely been replaced now by glass and graphite.I just stopped long enough to look at my great old Lew's Bream Buster.It has the solid Copper metal line winders on it.B'n'M has brought it back this year.I have no idea how old my old Lew's is.I have glass poles up to 20' with and without guides and reel seats.

There ought to be a lot of other old goats on here that used cane poles.Would you believe that I have a big patch of them growing in my back yard?They were here when I moved in 25 years ago.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

6. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    One of my fondest memories is my older son about 20 years ago fishing in a small farm pond with a cane pole and catching about a 4lb bass. It broke off the last foot of the pole and swam off since it was only tied on the end. Luckily it had a bobber and it would surface every so often and eventually it got close to a bank and we snagged the line and pulled it in by hand. Released it but no photos.

Dusty I'm sure you realize your uncle gave you way more than fishing gear. Quite an honor to get a man's fishing or hunting gear.

7. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    I haven't used one since I was just a kid but have thought about getting one for crappie fishing. I see them all the time at garage sales and they range from $1 to $20.

:big_smile:

8. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Same story here. Used them all my younger days. Then the bream buster poles came about and the canes were mostly obsolete in MHO. I remember dad used to run a jigger with a piece of pork rind on a stout cane pole with about a foot of line on it. He really worked on the bass and mud fish with that thing. One man paddlin' and one running the jigger. A ton-o-fun!!
    BB in SC

9. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    Yea, Bill! Reminds me of a fishing method talked about by Grits Gresham in
    one of his books on bass fishing. He talked about an old fella he knew that
    used a cane pole with the rib of an old umbrella wrapped onto the tip then
    attached to a shallow diving plug or a spinner. He'd carefully work every
    snag with that rig and had pretty good luck. Just found out today that
    old Grits Gresham passed on recently. I bought that old book over 40years
    ago and read every page. Really liked that man's writing style. He had a
    good long run and I hope his dying was easy.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Kinda sorta. IMO, you can buy extendable fiberglass poles that are longer and better than a real cane pole. I've got one that extends from about 4' to 12'. It's very limber, and at 4', it's much easier to transport and store than a regular cane pole.

11. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I havn't used a cane pole in a long time but I use a 15' telescopic pole for jigging in catails and brush piles, it's simple and fun!

12. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    My dad taught me how to fish with a cane pole. When he passed away, my mom told me that he wanted me to have it. It's really old and brittle. I'll never use it again, but I have it displayed in my house. Everytime I pass by it, I think of the fun that we had and how much I miss him.
    Debbie

13. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Thats the first pole i was able to get hold of on my grandparents farm. A bullhead was first fish i caught on worms i dug out of the cattle feed lot.

14. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    My papal always told me when we go fishing he could have more fun with a cane pole than a regular rod and reel. He still uses em' today.

15. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    as a youngster i had my choice of canes they grew wild at the creek.i used them to catch chubs then used a bigger one to catch bass and cats.ive got 2 20 footers hanging in a tree drying rite now.

16. PAWPAWME

PAWPAWME New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    THE FIRST FISHING TRIP I EVER WENT ON I USED A CANE POLE.I LOVE TO BRIM FISH BECAUSE ITS FUN AND IT ALMOST ALWAYS PRODUCES FISH.I USE A BRIM BUSTER ROD AND A SMALL OPEN FACE REEL,BUT I ALWAYS REMEMBER THE FIGHT AND TUG OF THE CANE POLE.AM I TO PROUD TO USE A CNE POLE?I DONT THINK SO,BUT I ALWAYS WONDER WHAT MY BUDDIES WOULD THINK IF THEY HAPPEND ACROSS ME SITTING ON THE LAKE BANK WITH A CANE POLE?THEY WOULD PROBALY LAUGH,BUT I KNOW ON THE INSIDE THEY WOULD KIND OF ENVEY ME.I THINK I JUST MIGHT GO GET ME ONE,PUT THE OLD PRIDE TO THE SIDE BECAUSE IT IS REALLY ABOUT THE FISHING,NOT THE EQUIPMENT.

17. Brando

Brando New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Heck yes. They are $4, and readily available. If you fish with kids at all, it's great! You don't have to worry about line tangles, reels "exploding" (believe me, with kids, it happens), or anything else. Just plop 'em in the water and go!

I mean, I love these kids and all. But there is NO way I'm letting a Berkley Cherrywood get snapped in half from being stepped on. Again. It happened twice last year and that was more than enough to convince me to try bamboo.

I don't blame them. They're kids. But fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame is a ... uh.... well it's shameful to do things that are wrong. Tricking people is wrong see, so there should be some shame.

18. Slick Skin

Slick Skin New Member

State:
    Charleston ILL.
    I still use a bamboo for catching flathead bait.stick and a string pretty simple pretty effective..

19. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I havent used one but i say there good poles, and sorry to hear about his health

20. Defender

Defender New Member

State:
    Hastings, Nebraska
    who happens to be autistic. I don't know if he will ever be able to handle a rod with a reel, but so what? The cane pole works just fine.

I took him fishing for the first time last summer. It was on a sunny Sunday morning, and I went to the early service. Mary took our girls to the later service, and I took Andrew fishing.

I rigged up his brand new rod with some monofilament, a bright red hook, a split shot, and one of my old ice fishing bobbers. We walked to a pond near our house, and I whistled the song from the old Andy Griffith show as we went along with the cane pole and some worms.

We got to the pond. I baited up the hook, swung it out into the water, and handed the pole to Andrew. The bobber had only just settled down when it started moving and went under. I told Andrew to bring his pole up, and he caught his first fish.

I think we caught at least 50 fish. With a little experimenting we even caught some on the bare hook! We were having so much fun that as my wife drove by on the way home from church she stopped, and my younger daughter had to give it a try. She caught her first fish, too. Yes, I took pictures.

If you asked me if we use cane poles at my house, I would have to say yes. This is the one pole I know I'll never get rid of.

Attached Files: