Cane pole and Fly line

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by RIP, Mar 7, 2006.

1. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    When the gills bed up I like to get the fly rod after them, thats a big fight for such a small fish. One year I got the idea to put fly line on a cane pole and man I had a ball. What I did was put fly line the lenght of the pole with about a 18'' leader (4lb.),small hook and no weight. Put a cricket on the hook throw it out, the cricket will float for a little while then will slowly start to sink when the floating fly line straightens out you got him. My brother in law and I had a ball catching brim that way, give it a try.

2. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    I will have to try that love to catch them on cane pole

3. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    i like catching them on canepoles also and man pound for pound Bluegill can give you one heck of a fight

4. ejones1961

ejones1961 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    interesting idea RIP I will have to try that it sounds fun.

5. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    when i was a kid we would make poles from long sticks we found and tie a line to it with a hook and a stick bobber caught a lot of bluegills and crappies that way ahh the nice sweet times of a slow paced life being barefoot and chewing on a piece of grass and yakking with your best friend.

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Gills think they are monster fish, lots of fun.

7. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    does the fly line kink or twist up after a while? I want to try that. I usually take a 20lb mono 3/4 length of my cane pole, and tie it to 4lb. i put a size 12 longshank wire cricket hook on with a bb size split shot about 12 inches above the hook, and a lil bitty piece of nightcrawler, for the bigger ones. for bait size and minnows, i use the same setup but with a # 16 hook.