Cancerous Leads

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by indiana_fishin, Jul 28, 2006.

1. indiana_fishin

indiana_fishin New Member

State:
    Indiana Baby
    I've always overlooked the fact that the lead we use 4 fishing can cause cancer.I was readin the back of a label when i realized this.Now I know me and alot of other fishermen out there bite our leads onto our line.I'll use pliers if i have em but i usually dont.Has anyone heard of anybody getting cancer from fishing leads,or god forbid know a friend or family member?

2. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    i don't worry about cancer as much as lead poisining. It will make you stupid. Don't ever put lead in your mouth. It causes brain damage. you should wash your hands after handling lead.

3. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    ther are so many ways to get cancer. how would it ever be traced back to that. i wonder how many cases have been overlooked with that cause

4. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Oh Fuzz Leonard, I've got it. I'm stupid and brain damaged!! Must have been at a early age too. Darn that lead.
    Bill

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I do not use split shots anymore. But I did as a kid. Boy, I am glad I finially found out what is wrong with me. LMAO

6. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Guess that explains the hat. lol.

7. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Jeez, I think everyone is just really jealous of this hat!! I may have to auction one off to get everyone off my back. hehehe

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    you know... that lead warning is also on fishing rods (where is the lead in that) and alot of hooks, etc... things that don't have lead in them... I think its been blown out of proportion a bit and people are so worried about it... I think if you get cancer from doing something you love then so be it... I'm not going to stop using lead for all my stuff at all... I would like to see proof that lead is really what caused any issue... because now adays EVERYTHING, seems to cause cancer because they don't really know what causes it... certain foods will and won't help or cause it, chemicals, drugs, etc... Its almost as bad as the DNR officers around here not knowing size limits, Regs and all

Live your life... if you die because of something you love then so be it... If you want to be cautious about every little thing then i have a plastic bubble for you that we can chain to a few cinderblocks and toss it in the potomac so you can "see" the fishies...

9. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    You know it seems that you can get cancer from just about anything these days. I remember a few years ago the talk abouot eating hot dogs can give you cancer if you eat a few million of them. The study was done at a university or something. I guess what I am saying is if you are going to get it you are going to get it. You shouild be cautious but not overly cautious.

10. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You know if this is the way God is going to take me Home then Hmmm Okay. :smile2:

11. Georgiajack

Georgiajack New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I think a lot of us at one time, or another, has bit lead on their line. When they came out with warnings I started opening the tackle box, and going for a pair of pliers. IMHO herbicides, and pesticides, with regular exposure, are a much higher risk, but I am still using the pliers. I have had friends, and family die from cancer, not a good way to exit this world. Good fishin', Jack.

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Lead and cancer....

Where I worked for 32 years, almost everything we made or use in the process was listed by EPA as Hazardous Material. One plant used 5 tank cars of Benzene a day. Benzene (do a search on Benzene) is the bad one, they say it causes cancer, the maximum air limits is 50 parts per million. I've been in liquid Benzene up to my ankles and had it sprayed all over me.
    I melted lead when I was a kid, used the earth for a mole to make toy swords.
    Been melting lead for bullets and weights for the last 35 years.... I'm still alive or was this morning. :lol:

And I played with mercury many times when I was younger.

Just use common sense when handling lead...

13. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Cancer is no joke.I lost my Dad 2yrs ago to cancer and My wife is going through cemo right now she had it on her head in her lump node's and in her throt and in her chest that was last Aug and now the pet scan shows 0 zip nada no cancer anywhere THANK YOU GOD!!!!Befor I was a Correctional Officer I was a Union Hot Tar Roofer Loc24 and a welder in the ship yard in San Deigo so Like I said befor It is in GOD'S Hand's.And I still bite my split shot's......

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Lead is dangerous to kids more so then adults unless you are still reproducing or desire to.
    It is a scarey situation and a dangerous situation when you find elevated lead levels in children.
    It can come from the old solder used on copper pipes to the old lead paint on the window and door jams.
    Shotgun shells and fishing weights dont pose the dangers like pipes or paint.
    If you have the bad pipes and the old paint , your child is exposed constantly to lead.

15. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Me too.Chemical plant.Does this mean that in 10 more years I am going to be as hansom as you?peewee-williams

16. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    If cancer is how you are suppose to leave this world to go home then that is how you will go. IMO it doesn't matter what you do, you will leave the way you are suppose to. If you know where you are going and who you will be staying eternity with, (GOD), then don't worry about it, if not going there then you better worry a lot.

17. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    As hansom as me... LOL, Peewee, I bet you're thinking.. In another 10 years I hope I don't look as bad as that old buzzard. :lol:

No kidding, I hope your disability is not due to anything from the chemical industry.

18. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Lead is not harmful. What is harmful is the lead oxide, the white powdery stuff that forms on old lead that has been exposed to the elements or chemicals. Lead oxide is what they used to put in paint and is what forms on the solder joints of old plumbing. Lead oxide is also formed when lead is heated too high, around 700 degrees. Until it boils, vapors are lead oxide and very harmful to breathe. Keep the lead pot just over the point where it melts, around 600 degrees or lower depending on the alloy.
    I use printers lead for sinkers. It melts at a lower temp and when it oxidizes the tin oxidizes first and protects the lead. It's also harder which makes it more difficult to cast.

19. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Great info Jammer, thanks.

20. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I think most of the bad things you hear about lead is bull it's just big brother looking over your sholder.Heck they say a gun will kill you which is bull cause a gun never killed anybody ever,you could lay a loaded gun down and it would lay there till it rusted and fell apart and never hurt any one unless some body picks it up and points it at someone and pulls the trigger because the only time lead is a real danger to a grown man is when it's coming from a gun barrel.I been around lead for 50 years in plumbing,weight casting and bullet casting and I'm still here.The fact is you're in more danger driving to the store than if you chewed on a split shot every day for the rest of your life.Ok lead in paint may not be good for kids but I grew up with lead paint all over every thing and I'm still here cause my moma told me to eat the peas and cornbread and don't eat the paint.Like it been said before live your life and stop worring about what someone setting at a desk is trying to scare you with.Most likey he is scared to go outside cause the sky might fall.