canals

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Jamesriver, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Jamesriver

Jamesriver New Member

State:
    Richmond
    There is a 200 year old canal that I have fished for channels. Would an outside bend be deep at only 200 years old(please don't post guesses, just from personal experience). And, how big would flatheads get in a canal that is only 10 to 50 meters wide, but connected to the main river, I have caught one 36 inch flat in it. And it is not fished by anybody, only overshadowed by the main river. It is decently deep, and FULL of downfalls, dams,locks,riprap,etc. And, does anyone know when people started putting revetment in rivers, there is an area full of it. But it is a abadon canal out in the woods.

2. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Stefan welcome to the USCA ,from N.C.. Does the canal you are talking about have a good flow thru it or is it a dead end canal .If it has a good flow the outside bends should be deeper than the inside bends . From what you said about it ,it should hold some fish might just need to try it when thing warm up a little . I know around here i have had some luck on creeks of the main river .

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010

3. Jamesriver

Jamesriver New Member

State:
    Richmond
    It has flow, but it is slow, like any flatwater river.

4. Blind In Texas

Blind In Texas New Member

State:
    Houston, T-E-X-A-S
    Deep is a matter perspective.

Outside bends of moving water are nearly always deeper than the inside bends. The slower the regular water flow, the less drastic the difference should be. The depth of outside bends to inside bends will be relevant to one another given normal discharge rates, quantities of rainfall for you area, and degree of curvature for any given bend.