Canal run March 14

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by bluehunter, Mar 13, 2009.

1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I will be making a canal run this Sat thru Sunday morning to just get out of the city for a bit and venture out. Really don't expect to get a flat but well see. A friend got a 25 pounder so I may get one or so too. If anythings good or bad I will let yall know. At least its not burning up out there at this time so I can get some day fishing in and do some observatory things. Will post results upon my return.

2. CatMan(Cali)

CatMan(Cali) Well-Known Member

State:
    Fresno Californ
    Good luck out there. Hopefully you'll find a hole or two that we can come back to first week of April. Will be waiting to hear how the trip went.

3. whiskers67

whiskers67 New Member

State:
    california
    what canal are you talken about.I'm in so.cal. but love to fish the lower kern and pull alot of channels out of there

4. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    He's talking about the canals around Blythe and Palo Verde.

5. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Went to do an overnighter out in the Palo Verde area. Went into town for a few essential in Blythe. Stopped and picked up some nice size goldfish. Talked with a few anglers in search of some catfish also about other things and then off we went.(Son and I). This was more of a get away trip for me more so than with just catching fish. A lot of times when I go fishing, I just do it to relax and spend some time with either myself or my son. No need for a group of people every time, or out there for other things. But just to get out and fish, which is the sole purpose that attracted me to fishing in the first place - the relaxation and solidarity. Also the quality time, which I share a lot about my father in this adventure. Eventhough he is gone, a lot of found memories I have about him out on the water, just us too.

We went out in search of some more bait. The tilapia were at a few select drain canals. The size of them were pretty good and I hope to still get some at that size once the season gets into full gear. I did not even try to get bluegills in the backwaters. I do pretty well with just nice size tilapia and will take those anytime when the gills are tough to find, which can a lot of times be the case.

The water level of the canals were very low - super low. The lowest I have seen it. I went off to quite a few spots that were only a few feet deep and some were almost dry spots. This kind of concerned me and I spend a little bit of time just driving around trying to find the spots that were not that low. Quite frankly the only areas I found were 35th st bridge and Marlow rd area that had decent level of water, and those were lower than it normally is.

You could see quite a few huge Tilapia and carp swimming around, and few gills too. The lagoon area bridge(Mid town of Palo verde) was so low you could see clear down on top of the bridge and water was no more than 2 feet.

I decided to give a small drain ditch a shot from about 430 to 6pm. After 5 minuites of having my goldfish in I get a run. I was on top of the ditch and had to hop down the ditch, which took a little time going around trees and branches. By the time I get there the flat goes into snags. It did not feel big though maybe 5 pounds so I just snapped it. This ditch area produced more bites too but I am sure they were turtles as they picked apart my goldfish taking the guts out and nawing the head off. After this happened 3 times I decided to move as the area was infested with turtles and I did not want to waste bait like that. The next picked area was Marlowe rd that was not so low. We went there and set up and kicked it for the night.

As the night went on it became quite cool so we stayed in the car. The wind picked up later as the night went on. However; the flats were a no go. Not one single touch. Eventhough the bite was a zero I still came back home refreshed for the upcoming school week. The past week was stressful for some teachers as the pink slips went out for a lot of them as 5000 LAUSD teachers were expected to get them. I was lucky, but others was not. It really pays to have that valid credential and clad I can tell you that much.

As far as the flatheads - I believe that it has to warm up a lot more to get them actively going. Channels are to be had there, but thats not why a lot of us go there. I did get a 3 pound channel while I was fishing for tilapia, I released the channel. Will back back out there around beginning of April, will be doing some more searching. Season is still early and have not even started yet, so there is still high hopes for what is to come this Spring thru fall.

B

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I fished the Palo Verde Outfall Canal on this run. This areas has nice flatheads, channels, stripers, largemouth and small mouth bass, pig tilapia and carp too.

7. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    On a side note the water level of the main river was good and up around outside oxbow and the Cibola refuge area. However the lauch ramp in that zone outside of Oxbow entering the Cibola refuges area seemed they are working on it. As well as working on the camp area too there so this is not a good place to launch at now if you plan to lauch to the main river. Walters camp and Macintyre would be a better choice until this area is ready. I will check this zone again next time I roll.

8. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I put together a short video of some of the areas. Actually this is how to identify certain canals for the begining river angler. River Vets already know about this. This can give you a visual of what the areas look like before you come down. Also good for others as well to use a a brief visual who are beginners.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2a029PVnEw

9. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Hey Brian them Flats should start showing soon, heard the other day they were starting to bite pretty good on the canals, cool vid ya put together dude your getting it down

Hey Scott going to be down that way myself w/Martinman and billyjo, not to sure about when were going to make back to Blythe but know were staying up at lake Mohave until at least until Sat morn, when ya go out there make SURE you have some warm clothes to put on and some blankets going to be warm during the day a cold at night, Blue and myself froze or butts off the early part of May (remember Blue:smile2:) and Scott I would take some gear to get you some channels, Dude if you would like seeing ya live so close by maybe we could hook up for lunch (at Hunny's:wink:)sometime this week and could help ya get a good start on things I'll will be headed out to the river for the week this coming Sat morn so its got to be this week , Ill bring my laptop to and show you some maps and pic,s from around, to bad your not going this coming weekend cuz I'll be down there by myself :wink:

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yea Dale I remember that. As soon as midnight came around thru the morning the hawk was really out that outing. LOL. Hence why I wore a jacket in a lot of the pics. It was cold this past weekend too, but we had the car to warm up in. :smile2: I want to get back out there fast especially when my boat is ready. I am looking forward to the Pichaco run we will make still. Thats an area I want to fish.

I did get the email Dale just been busy lately. It came out as pics instead of the actual video though. Brought back memories though. I have not had a night of flatheading since that when we were on a wide open bite of hawgs. That was something special that night for sure.

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Cibola refuge the one I was actually talking about is off hwy 78 just outside of Palo verde right behind Oxbow. The actual Cibola is on the Az side. The launch that we used in the backwater at that camp is being worked on. Dont know how long it will take I will look back over there when I go back. That area is about 30 miles south of the I10. So your best bet for launching the main river will be else where either Macintyre or Walters. I have a link to the boating launch area but the site seems to be down. Will post it up when it is up. There are quite a few camps areas and lauching too.

12. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Blue I sent a bunch of pic's along with the vid, its ether the 1st one or the last one, think ya got to click on it, look at the property's to see if vid or pic.

13. riverbud55

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    yep Scott they moved to across the street and a hair bit closer to the freeway I'll buzz ya

14. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    ok, will look into thanks.

B

15. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    You know Blue.. the river goes low every winter but the drainages usually stay up... Snagged2 brought some Flats out of those drainages in the middle of winter. The water stays warm enough in there to catch them pretty much all year. However I think this water being low which I've never seen before was your problem. Just so you know up by 2nd where I usually catch tilapia and bluegill .. the water is too high! And it's keeping me from getting my bait at my most reliable spot. Strange drainage ditch happenings for sure..

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Yes I never seen it that low either. My reliable spots were pretty much a no go to fish as some spots were out of the water. I hope they come up by the spring time runs. I found a few ditches that were not so low I should have stayed at the one ditch I had the run at but those turtles were deep in that spot too and I did not have a reliable number of bait to gamble with losing half of my stash to turtles pecking with them.

Yea I hear about them being in those pipes a lot during the winter time just waiting for something to fly pass them. That is an adventure I would like to master while I still have some physical ability.:cool2:

17. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Brian, a trick i learned for the turtles was take along a couple of bags of unsalted anchovies. run into turtles and start cutting the chovies into 1 inch or so chunks and throwing handfuls in. helps chum, and the turtles seems to go after them and not my bait. used to do that around calexico canals and it seemed to work.
    gary

18. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks for the tip Gary. Sounds like something I will try next time.

19. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Dale I put the pics and the short vid together.. Boy was that cool. Is this getting us jacked up for the flat season or what? Thanks for sending them. I had to change the format of the vid over for the movie. It had its print on the vid dont know how to change it yet but still learning. Thanks anyway.

will put it up soon.

20. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele