Canal Lakes This Weekend Questions

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by JustCats, Aug 14, 2006.

1. JustCats

JustCats Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Looking for a little help. My 8 yr old son and I are going to Canal Lakes this coming weekend. We will arrive on Friday mid afternoon. We are going out to fish with Brad Browder on Saturday. Are there any good bank fishing spots at or near Canal Lakes. I am not very familiar with the area. I would like to fish Friday night and Saturday night & possibly Sunday morning. Any help is Greatly Appreciated. I know I could have ask the person at Canal Lakes but I thought I would get more useable info here.

Thanks
    Tony

2. klemsontigers7

klemsontigers7 New Member

State:
    SC
    make fun if i'm wrong but do you mean the santee lakes?

3. JustCats

JustCats Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ha! I can laugh at that. We are staying at Canal Lakes fish camp. It's located on the diversion canal.

Tony

4. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Yes there is some bank fishing but at night I would fish from a pier as not to be gator bait. The gators are more active at night. Good luck and stay safe.

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    you can go up to the rediversion canal and it is strictly bank fishing and no boats allowed in the canal. i was there acouple weeks ago and there 2 guys had a blue and flathead both were atleast 40 lbs. its wide open and alot of locals fish there.

6. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    No boats in the diversion canal ?? When did this go into effect. First I've heard about this.

7. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Tony
    There is some really good fishing right off the docks there at Canal lakes.There were several really nice flat heads caught there off the docks the last few weekends. I was there last weekend and there were people fishing from the bank on both ends (toward the bridge and on the other side of the restaraunt) and they were catching fish. They were fishing at night using cut bait and live bream. Good luck and post your results !!

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    DWreel, Ronald was talking about the section between where the canal exits the lake and the power plant intake. There is a cable across the canal there, and no boats are allowed. You're probably thinking of the canal below the power plant, which is open to boating, except for the sanctuary area immediately below the dam.:smile2:

9. JustCats

JustCats Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks so much for the info guys. I will definitely post the outcome of the weekend.
    Ronald, were you talking about the canal over at St. Stephen?
    I thought I had read post on the site about fishing off the dock at Canal Lakes, I just didn't want to take up their time when I made the reservations.
    Again thanks for all the info.

Tony

10. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    yes its the canal up at russelville. when i was there acouple weeks ago thats were we fished cause the weather was to bad to be on the lakes.

11. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Hands down the re-diversion canal in russleville is the best bank fishing spot I would invest in a cart or make your own because you can do alot of walking but they're is some big fish caught off the bank down there.Give each spot an hour to hour and a half then move 50 to 100 yards and try again.2 years ago 2 of my fishin buddies went to santee hired a guide and only caught 4 fish biggest was 20lbs, the next day they went and fished off the bank of the re-diversion and caught 10 flatheads and blues and just about all of em where over 20lbs and his personal best flathead at 64lbs.Needless to say they wouldnt to happy with the guide situation.This is not he said she said this guy fishes with me once or twice a month I seen it with my own two eyes.

12. klemsontigers7

klemsontigers7 New Member

State:
    SC
    the rediversion canal has only produced for us in the spring, but then again, i've never been in late summer, we absolutely wore 'em out one spring, give it a shot and if they're pulling water you'll need 3 oz pyramid sinkers

13. gtva

gtva Member

State:
    Bassett, VA
    If you fish below the docks at canal lakes ( toward the bridge) there are several snags waiting to take your tackle. The dock right in front of the restaurant seemed to be snag free. If you haven't fished with Brad before, you have picked a good guide, I have fished with him a few times and and am sure he will do whatever he has to to get you on fish. The blue in my avatar photo was caught with him this June. If you find any other places to bank fish please post them, i would like to go down this fall and give it a go.
    Greg

14. ToonCat

ToonCat New Member

State:
    Tega Cay SC
    Tony, Let me cut to the chase. Everyone has offered you some good info on bank fishing. Bottom line is you got an 8 yr old kid, fished all day with a guide, and want to look for a little night bank fishing. Canal Lakes is one of the few and the best places to do it, and your're staying there. Mosey on out to the bank about 8:00 and set up....then have fun. Let the boy catch a few bream near the dock and hook em up for flatheads. The state record was caught in the canal very near where you will be fishing. Many of us work to hard at fishing in what supposedly is the best place. Relax and enjoy where you're at. Canal Lakes is a good place with excellent fishing opportunity right there.

15. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Tony
    check out the board in the store at Canal lakes and look for the picture dated 8-16-06 they took of the fish i caught with in 50 yards of the boat ramp thursday night. Friday night I fished the same spot and caught a huge flathead over 40 lbs and several huge blues. My name is on the picture and I think its on the left side of their picture board. For two nights I never went any farther than 50 yards from the boat ramp.