Canal flathead catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by jaytee, Oct 19, 2006.

1. jaytee

jaytee New Member

State:
    arizona
    Channel 10 just had a segment reporting teenage anglers landed a "whale of a catch" from a city canal near Indian Bend Rd. in Scottsdale. After watching the segment it was obviously a flathead, they mentioned it was around 50 lbs. and I was not able to form an opinon about the weight for myself. Would any one know if the mentioned canal was part of the Arizona Canal system. Looks like I will give this canal angle a chance sometime.

2. Patton

Patton New Member

State:
    Mesa, Arizona
    ya i just saw that on channel 3 i was going to post they just said it was a canal in scottsdale and ya that was a flathead i thought it was kind of small not sure it was 50 pounds but thats what they said

3. Patton

Patton New Member

State:
    Mesa, Arizona
    [​IMG]here is that fish

4. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    That made the news?

Get the heavy tackle and head for the canals!!!

5. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    nice flattie.thx for posting.

6. shorepatrol

shorepatrol New Member

State:
    AZ
    fished the canals about 5 yrs ago , alot of carp and small channel, no flatheads, did see a kid catch a 10lb flathead at 51st ave and cactus canal though

7. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    I used to fish them when I was a kid... caught a lot of desert suckers, but mostly carp.

~ A

8. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    CNN's website has the story with the video if you are interested in watching it. The flathead was not 50 pounds in my opinion, however it was a great fish for 2 teenagers to catch.

9. shorepatrol

shorepatrol New Member

State:
    AZ
    It looks like about a 20lb fish, wasn't that big

10. martinman

martinman New Member

State:
    Clinton, Iowa
    Well I guess as rumors start to fly, people will say it is all sorts of sizes. I personally don't think it was close to 50lbs. I first heard that it was a 40lber, and don't think it was that big either.

I would have to agree with you Chad...it is not as big as they are saying. Break out a scale and we will see it weighing no more than 30lbs.

Ryan

11. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I agree! To those teens it could have been 100 pounds, it would have had the same effect!

12. CaTfIsHKyLe

CaTfIsHKyLe New Member

State:
    AZ
    I dont think it was close to 50 pounds.. but made a goos story and a fun day for those Kids... for sure.