canal fishing?

Discussion in 'ARIZONA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Capt_Catfish, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Capt_Catfish

Capt_Catfish New Member

State:
    az
    Happy new year all.
    Dont post on here much , but Id like to do alot more fishing in 2009
    I moved into a new house last fall and there is an srp canal about 100yards from it.
    I walked over there the other day and met an old timer who was fishing.
    He pulled up a stinger and had some nice channel cats on it.
    Says he catches several an hour all the time, and hes even pulled some flat heads out of it.
    Im stoked, im going to try my luck out this weekend. Anyone here have any luck in the canals? Im going to run a 18inch leader behind 1 ounce weight and drown a worm.
    What works for you?
    thanks
    capt out-

2. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey Captain I know I've heard that before since I moved to the area in August about the canals and haven't had much of a chance trying them. I did how ever try them I can say least 2 or 3 times with my kids and we did catch a mess of channels no bigger than the worms I was using to catch them. Fun none the less with my kidos, good luck and can't wait to hear how it turned out.

3. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    If I'm fishing for channels in current i like to use something with a scent they can follow and attack, like stink or dip bait, even shrimp or mackeral. If using dip bait then either sponge rigs or dip bait worms or grubs work good too. Most guys have their favs but if your lookin for dip bait either hog wild or bowkers are excellent. Do NOT get bowkers on your clothes or on paint. You will have to burn your clothes, your truck won't start, and yer dog won't even like ya anymore. :smile2:

:cool2:

4. team454ss

team454ss New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I have an SRP Canal not far. I don't know about the catch rate, but I have pulled a 10 pound channel and a 5, and a few 2s. I went last week and sat for an hour and a half and got nuttin. Took the wife a few days later and the same luck. Fishin is just slow.
    I fish at 67th near Bell in Peoria. You can usually pull a decent carp if you just want a fight. Also, SRP actually pulls their tilapia out in the cool months, keep them in warm tanks for the winter and then back in they go!!! Thing is, I just cant catch em.

5. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I use to fish the Canals in Yuma and would tear up the flatheads caught some channels but thats not what I like to fish for. Some parts of the canals were to shallow but others were better. I used a easy setup in the canals a 1 ounce egg sinker and a large hook such as a circle or king khale 8/0 to 10/0 with a live bluegill the bigger the better in my opinion for a few reasons they stay alive longer and are alot more lively the big ones will have your pole bouncin for a while. Alos the bigger bluegill will keep the smaller fish away. I miss fishin Arizona.

6. AZOutlaw

AZOutlaw New Member

State:
    Arizona
    What are the laws regarding canal fishing? There is a canal Around Dobson Between Elliot and Guadalupe. I would like to try out.

7. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Nick,

I have been wondering that myself. I live at Dobson & Warner and I see that canal everytime I drive to work & back. They just got done pouring a cement sidewalk along that canal so I'd be interested in giving it a try. Where in chandler do you live? Send me a PM if you want someone to tag along when you go - I'm game...

Mark

8. bass or bass?

bass or bass? New Member

State:
    North Phoenix Arizona
    General AZ fishing regulations.
    My fishing partner fishes the canals regularly and catches lots of channels. When using nightcrawlers he gets his share of bass too. Happy fishing.
    ~N.A.F.C.~B.A.S.S.~BoatU.S.~N.R.A.~

9. AZOutlaw

AZOutlaw New Member

State:
    Arizona
    What a coincidence. I live on Dobson and Warner S.W. side. I may give it a shot Friday night.

10. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    haha...you and I are neighbors....I'm on the SW side as well. If you go Friday night let me know...send me a PM or you can text me on my cell phone 480-403-1524...

11. bass or bass?

bass or bass? New Member

State:
    North Phoenix Arizona
    Wow! See how well these things can work out? Happy fishing.
    ~N.A.F.C.~B.A.S.S.~BoatU.S.~N.R.A.~

12. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    Canals suck

13. brianthelion02

brianthelion02 New Member

State:
    arizona
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:

14. AZBADBOYCATFISH

AZBADBOYCATFISH New Member

State:
    PHOENIX ARIZONA
    I heard there is a canal off of 16st and northern thats suppose to produce good catches but havent tried it for myself.