Canadian River Spots in oklahoma?

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by Catfunk, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Catfunk

Catfunk New Member

State:
    OK
    Does anyone have a good spot that is mostly legal to fish on the Canadian river? I am hoping to fish it this spring and need a spot near OKC/Norman that I can night fish and is easily accessed by a 2wd car. HELP please:confused:

2. sem21

sem21 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I Think You Can Fish It Along I-40 Where Thay Have Damed Up. I Think The Access Is On The South Side Of The River . You Might Do Some Scouting Befor You Go.

3. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    havent fished it there. but at the sand pit on 134th st i think by the i44 race track i know that there is an axcess , i see people there all the time havent fished it though. have a day . any day is a good day to sneek up on a fish,& it takes a big fish to weigh a hunnert lbs.

4. Catfunk

Catfunk New Member

State:
    OK
    Do the police mss w/ you there and run you off? Heard anything about nightfishing there?

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My understanding is that you have to have a city permit (and state license) to fish in the Canadian along brick town frontage. The best place I knew of, and haven't used in years and years, was off Hiawasee road (near Jones, OK). The river came under a bridge and had a hole on the east side of the road. But I think it was just small ones caught there... think you have to follow the river closer to Eufala before you find fish with size.

6. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    2 yrs ago gought a 35lb flat head about a quater east of the bridge , was scearred!!!. lol to eat it though . u can still get in there by the bridge. any day is a good day to sneek up on a fish.

7. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    you can park in the church parking lot just east of I-35 right off of highway 9. It is just a short walk to the river from there. The police shouldn't mess with you if you have a liscense and a pole. Night fishing is not illegal while loitering is. Be polite to the cops and you shouldn't have any trouble.

8. Catfunk

Catfunk New Member

State:
    OK
    You are speaking of a Norman location, correct? Hwy 9 & I35? Didn't know of a church near there???? If so, is it a good spot???

9. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Just a couple blocks east of 9 and I35 you will come to a street that heads toward the river. It dead ends and then there is a church on your right. Park there in the parking lot and then the river is just a short hike. There where some decent spots around there but now Dolese has its operations going on. If your prepared to do a bit of bushwacking down the river banks you'll find a decent spot or two. I usually hike down the bank and fish the little pockets where the river cuts under the vegetation. I pulled some flattys around eight lbs out of there. The sand bass ought to be running through there in the next couple weeks or so but I dont usually start catching cats real good in the rivers until after the sand bass run. So if your targeting cats It might be a bit early for that mostly shallow river. But yea right there around I35 and 9 is where im talking about. You used to be able to fish down rock creek but now the new land owner will run you off. A kayack or shallow water canoe would be a great investment if you plan on fishing that river alot. One more thing, if you like bass (large and smallmouth) there are loads of them in that river.

10. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Andru,

You might try the river above Overholser lake. There is road access from the lake patrol station, go North after crossing the canal. I haven't tried it in a long time but you may still be able to fish the river where it runs through the Stinchcomb (?) wildlife refuge. I think there are a couple of roads running North off of NW 39th st. just West of the bridge at the North end of Overholser lake. Also, there are a couple places you can reach the river in Yukon. Just follow the roads running North from 39th st.
    Hope this helps some.

Paul

11. CJSCASTER

CJSCASTER Guest

Andru,

The above info. is for the North Canadian. Don't know of any access points to the (South) Canadian river.

Paul