Canadian nightcrawlers?

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by tbartek, Mar 29, 2006.

1. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Has anyone had any success raising canadian nightcrawlers? Any helpful hints would be much appreciated.

2. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN

3. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    tried to raise canadians but switched over to euro.nightcrawlers..do not have to refridgerate and much more lively

4. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Chris, where do you get those euro crawlers?

5. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    ordered mine from a company off ebay if you would like i can find there address and post it for you

6. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Thanks, Chris, if it's not too much trouble.

7. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    bestbait.com

no problem...happy to help

8. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    I live in WV and night crawlers are every where when I was in texas your could not hardly find them in the ground because of fire ants. I kep a a 20 gal container set up for worms and put some in every time I feal like catching some red worms wil reproduce I dont know about night crawlers but this morning I looked and two night crawlers were mating so maybe so. SEE YOU ALL ON THE FISH BANK SOME TIME

9. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    i'm setting up a worm farm in my basement(shoulda seen me telling my wife that) and hopefully i won't be hurting for bait anymore

10. Oldbear

Oldbear Member

State:
    Iowa
    I don't see any difference between the store bought Canadian nightcrawlers and the Iowa kind which are everywhere in my lawn. My back kills me if I go out at night looking for them so I just go out early after a rain the night before and pick them up off the street out front. Then I put them in about a 12x15" plastic container with a lid with bedding and stick them in the basement refrigerater. Have them year round.

11. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    John where do you get them from?

12. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Thanks a million whistler, as usual the BOC comes through

13. vini

vini New Member

State:
    Fresno
    Quik story here guys.

A few summers back I had some extra nightcrawlers left over and went to Grandmas to drop here some fish off, mentioned I had extra worms left and she told me to dump them in here mulch bucket, just a 5 gallon bucket with all her veggie scraps,egg shells coffee grounds ect. it was about half full.

So 2 months or so go by and happen to be back over to dig up some red worms from her garden and we dumped out the mulch bucket to see about those crawlers, what we found were crawlers that were at least 9 inchs long and 1/2 inch round, scared the livin daylights out of all of us. There were just the few we had put in the bucket no babys crawlers but they were HUGE....!

14. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I just started a worm farm also. As far as I can tell, these ain't real canadian nightcrawlers. I don't believe they speak a word of French!!! But when I told my wife that I was going to keep them in the basement, she started speaking in tongues. LOL

15. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    well i'm still trying to raise 'em but i guess i need to stop taking em fishing with me or i won't ever have any....lol

16. tbartek

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Well, so far so good. I have a cold cellar in my basement and am keeping my boxes there. I've been feeding them coffee grounds and chick starter from tractor supply. They appear to be reproducing and are staying healthy. One thingI have noticed is that they have toughened up a good bit. I'm keeping them in peat moss and their skins have gotten tough and they stay on the hook better. Also, I've had them in the water for almost an hour without a bite and reel them in and they're still fairly lively. Will keep everyone posted on the progress.