Canadian nightcrawler farming.

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by lilrivercatman, Mar 2, 2007.

1. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi, I would like to know if you can raise Canadian night crawlers, NOT the little red worms. Would it work if I bought a couple containers of them from Walmart and then adapted them to my farm(If possible). Also what is need to make a farm? Container, Feed, Bedding exc! I need all the info I can people! Thanks In Advice. Lilriver.:roll_eyes:

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    first of all take into consideration the temps that they are kept at and that should give you an idea of whether or not it might work in your area ,.They're not called CANADIAN night crawlers for nothin

3. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I got a refridgerator that has some room in it! :lol:

4. tfabry

tfabry New Member

State:
    Fremont, Wisconsin
    Get african nightcrawlers the multiply fast and are easy to raise

5. luke1wcu

luke1wcu New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've never heard of african nightcrawlers. Are they only sold in certain parts of the country? Is there a place online I might be able to find them?

6. robbor

robbor New Member

State:
    Ca
    I have put left over crawlers in my compost pile a few times and I have yet to ever dig one up. I believe they like cold weather. If I were you id consider raising/catching something else as bait unless they are already naturally occuring where you live. Ive been toying around with crayfish, because I can catch alot easily at night in local creeks and If you have any standing water you can pop them in. Cattle troughs, kids swimming pools, cage in irrigation ditch, mine are in a few 55 gallon drums in the back yard. If they are for catfish Id guess you could even put them 5-6 to a pack and throw them in the freezer, we do this with fish for bait during the summer. Just grab a bag out of the freezer and head off fishing.

7. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I have read many books on raising worms, and all of them say it is impossible to "farm" nightcrawlers.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe the BOC library has several threads about worm farming.

9. Gate420

Gate420 New Member

State:
    Canada
    It is very possible to raise Canadian night crawlers
    all you need is a few things and depending on your location a refrigerator to put them in there are several methods for doing this so it would depend on how serious you are and how many you want to grow but for some a plastic shoe box that you can get from walmart will get you around 50 adult worms and a ton of babies so u could dedicate a fridge and put a garbage can in it as well fill it with dirt potting soil rotten leaves and the like for thier bedding do not pack it down it needs to be as lose as possible to allow them to move freely open the container everyday to allow air in and every few days give the soil a turn to insure no pockets of bad air get in and kill your worms every 6 months take about a third of the soil out and replace with new bedding Feeding night crawlers is different then feeding compost worms feed them stale breads greens and stuff do not bury thier food and be sure to check for food that has started to mold or rot take it out or it will kill your worms the first time you feed them check it in 3 days take out whats left them you will now to feed them a little less then that every 3 days till they multiply you can also get more info for feeding them and other ways to care for them online I hope this helps somewhat.

tstarkey73 likes this.
  10. slimjimzrule

slimjimzrule New Member

State:
    Escondido, CA
    I dont know much about canadian nightcrawlers but i have farmed regular nightcrawlers. Just get like an storage bin, fill the bottom half with moist soil. Put in the worms and just moisten the soil every now and then. Drop in fruits or coffe beans and they will get fat and make little worm babies. Change the soil about every 2 months or so to get some of the worm poo out.

11. K.C.

K.C. Member

State:
    MI
    I have a freind of a freind that raises crawlers. She uses corn silage as the bedding and the food. Grows a ton of them. I would go catch a bunch of "freeranging" crawlers instead of buying them. Any moist rich soil at night will have them on top of the ground. I use a red lense flashlight and can catch hundreds of them in a night if I want to. My back usually protests around 50 so thats when I stop. :smile-big:

12. Worm Wrangler 31

Worm Wrangler 31 New Member

Name:
    Mike Duernberge
    C'nadian Nightcrawlers pretty much cannot be farmed. The majority 95% are hand picked and shipped all over the U.S.. I pick these native dew worms all spring and summer until temperatures make them go down deep. I sell thousands each year and everyone is handpicked late at night. I live in Wisconsin so these worms are pretty much the same species as Canadian crawlers-Dew Worms. The best bedding I have found is Buss bedding,shredded newspaper[black ink only] and shredded cardboard. you must keep these worms refridgerated in the 45 degeree range ,anything over 50 degrees and they turn to mush. I can keep crawlers for months with proper moisture and temperature and a change of the bedding ,but usually sell out before I need to worry about changing out bedding!Check out my you tube page Uncle Mike Outdoors for more info!

13. BBK

BBK Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Kevin
    I pick a ton, and raise some also. All the nightcrawlers in north america are "canadian crawlers". Mine reproduce in my bins all the time, they take about 6 months to grow to fishable size.

I tried buss bedding, my crawlers never did well in them at all. Its actually the worst ive ever used. Frabill bedding is the best, it lasts longer and the worms grow much faster. I also feed with frabill food. Buss beading lasts about 6 weeks, frabill lasts about 15 weeks for me.

My bins are all on the concrete floor of the basement, 62-66 year around. Worms are always plump and active, unless i use buss or brown bear bedding.. then they are skinny and soft.

14. superviper

superviper New Member

State:
    ohio
    We let go 30 or 40 dozen in our yard about 20 years ago, and I've never had to buy any since. I don't know if they are canadian night crawlers, but they are huge. Some stretch out to more than a foot. We used to catch them at the local baseball field after heavy rainfall at night. We would catch so many that our backs would hurt the next day from hunching over. They are sensitive to light so I use a flash light covered with a white tee shirt to find them. We only threw 30 dozen or so out of the many hundreds of dozens we caught in our yard. They started to breed in the yard and now I just go out the night after it rains. Oh! and if you decide to stock your yard, wait until it rains for awhile so they can dig the dirt up before the sun comes up