Canadian hunting advice?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flathead willie, Nov 25, 2009.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm looking into booking a hunt in Canada next year. I'd like to get a big bear with a bow, but I'm also interested in a combination hunt for deer and bear. I figured the best place to start is with you guys. Has anyone ever hunted in Canada? Do you know of any guide services with good success rates. Which provinces have the biggest bears/bucks? Which provinces have the best success rates? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks!!

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Billie,I wish I could help you out,Best I can do is tell you to do a google search ,and check the user ratings of a few.

3. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    Billie ,you have probably hunted outfitted hunts before but if you have not (CHECK REFERENCES )reputable outfitters will give you names and numbers of both successful and unsuccessful hunters, call them.:wink:

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Great advice! I would also add that if you are going with bow to make sure that the outfitter has experience in archery methods for bear. I would also pick one animal and go with it, if you can get a bonus animal then great. But I wouldn't go in it with the mindset that you are going to hunt for two species for a week. You will just be stretched too thin

5. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I think it sounds like a great idea, not sure if the deer and bear seasons coincide. I know a guy who used to hunt in the Angle Inlet of MN, wanted to have a hunting lodge there, may do some guiding too. He could probably give ya some advice. I don't know his number but can probably get in contact with him, it might take awhile. I'll send a PM with his name. Deer should be bigger up there, outdoor magazines also have advertisements you could start checking there.

6. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I spent about 6 hours yesterday going over websites. There must be 1,000 guides in Canada!

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    But are you any closer to narrowing down your search,Billie?

8. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Not a bit!! They all claim to be the best!! LOL I like the ones that offer combination hunts. Bear and deer would be nice, or bear and moose.

9. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Personally I've had it with Canada, been there 3 times, twice fishing and once and the last hunting with my son, it seems that everyone but the outfitter is after your bucks and are rude, rude, rude.
    I thought it was just me, but my son said the same, we are NEVER going back.
    There are a lot of other places that are much more fun than CANADA, :crazy:

10. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Sorry to hear that. I've been looking up there because the packages themselves are so much cheaper than anything I've found in the U.S. Heck, early this morning, on my brother-in-law's suggestion, I looked into bear hunts in Alaska. I couldn't believe it! Most were from $8500 to $18,000. They didn't even list combination hunts. They said, "Call for pricing." I used to go to Maine every year fishing so I know they don't have the numbers of bears that Canada does. If I'm going to spent $5,000 hunting, I want to be pretty confident that I'll have a chance to get something.

What would suggest, Showme? I'm ALWAYS up for a really nice deer, also.

11. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i dont know alot about it, but one thing i do know is you need to check on how to get your trophy home, you are going to be bringing it into the states from another country and there are different regs about how and what to do to get it to your house. make sure you add that to the price of your hunt.