Canadian bear WOW!!

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by CarolinaCats, Oct 16, 2008.

1. CarolinaCats

CarolinaCats New Member

State:
    Rural Hall
    Got a email from a Pro Wrestling Promotor I know in SK Ca. Check out this bear!
    This is the email he sent me describing it,
    Hey, Morgan(My Referee'n name).....how would you like to try a little taxidermy with this specimen??? No idea of the specs, but the pictures speak pretty clearly to the fact that this fella is B-I-G!! Shot just north of Tumbler River, British Columbia, which is in the north-east of the province. And this grizz isn't the biggest around: the Swan Hills grizzly of northern Alberta is bigger, as much as about ten feet nose to tail. Interesting note on the Swan Hills version is that they were sort of "discovered" in the late 1940's by Al Oeming, who was a pro wrestler,and Stu Hart's promotional partner in Edmonton in the late 40's and 50's, and ultimately a world-renowned zoologist. While he didn't discover them as such, he was the first to research them and isolate them as a sort of sub-species of plains grizzlies. They're found in just one small area south of Great Slave Lake in Canada's Northwest Territories and slightly into Alberta. As well, they're on the verge of extinction at this point, with I understand perhaps 70 or 80 surviving, not enough to carry on the breed successfully, as "civilization" encroaches on them unless there's some massive intervention on mining, oil exploration, etc. in their habitat.

I saw one of them up close years bck at Al's Alberta Game Farm in Edmonton, and what a sight.....one of the really big boys, up on his back legs I estimated him at 11 to 12 feet tall, from maybe 50 feet away. Pretty unreal........

Bob

Enjoy,
    ~Teddy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cheez

Cheez New Member

State:
    Trion,GA
    Amazing animal! The bear is dead and the guy holding up the paw still looks scared.:eek:oooh:

3. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    When they are all extinct, we can fondly look back at these pictures to tell our grandchildren.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

:confused2::roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Wow,Teddy,Thats a brute,But then grizzleys are! Thanks for the awsome pics.

6. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    wow!!! now thatsa biggin, nice pics too

7. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    That is one amazing critter!! I think I have seen those pics before? Regardless, though, awesome animal!!

8. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    wOW, THAT IS A BIG BOY!:eek:oooh:

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Sad, sad pictures.
    I'm not anti hunting and I'm not saying they are bad guys but why,oh, why does such a magnificent animal need to die at the hands of men?

10. petersoutcats

petersoutcats New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It's called Hunting!
    Man's first Job

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Teddy thanks for sharing the pics with all of us. Awesome!!!!. Whopper!!!!!!.

12. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Scott,
    But why?
    Like I said, I'm not anti hunting but what is the point of killing that bear?
    So a guy can say "I killed a bear"?
    I confess I don't understand and I'm not trying to piss anyone off.
    ...W

13. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    "Some" people do eat bear meat Winston. I love to hunt, but I'm not going after something that will eat you if you make a mistake!:eek:oooh:

14. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    My question is... If there are only so many left...why was it allowed to be hunted?:confused2:

If I dont eat it, I dont hunt it. If it aint going in my freezer, it certainly aint going on my wall. I do have that much respect for wildlife. :roll_eyes:

Either way, thats a massive bear and very beautiful. :wink:

15. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Magnificent creature it WAS, judging from the photos. Be kinda hard to CPR that! I too wonder why anyone would want to kill such a beast unless there were special circumstances, such as your life being threatened, or over population of the species. Bear meat is very greasy, and not what I would call gourmet meat. I guess you could make a fine necklace from the claws, and the skull would look nice hanging on the wall. Shame to kill such a creature for the few treasures he would provide. I had the opportunity to wander the wilds of British Columbia a few years back doing studies on hemp production, for a major organization. I must say that BC is one of the cleanest places on Earth. You see NO litter ANYWHERE, rarely even a cigarette butt. Their waterways are crystal clear. Even their harbors are so clear, you can see starfish on the bottom in 20 to 30 feet of water.
    Bill in SC

16. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Thats one huge grizzly! Thanks for sharing the pics!

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

I think if you re-read teddys post,You will find that the guys did NOT kill an endangered bear,He just added that those were exceptionally larger bears.

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

See above post,Bill.

19. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    only way id go fishing in b/c is if they were some where else

20. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I think that if bears were indangered there they would not allow hunting of them.

BTW it is a very nice bear