Can you take bait from one body of water to another?

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by alpal16, Mar 30, 2008.

1. alpal16

alpal16 New Member

State:
    Philly, PA
    I have read the fishing regulations, but was not able to find the section i was looking for. In PA, are you allowed to take B'gills, sunnies from one water system and use them in another? I was planning on catching bait from a local creek and then using them in a river---is that legal?

Thanks for any input

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Alex - Yes that is legal! I dont have the 2008 regulation book handy but I'm now looking at the 2007 booklet and on page 32 it clearly states that legally taken gamefish may be used as bait!

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    yes as long as the bait isnt from lake erie because of viral hemmoragic septicemia disease, they've got issues with up there. thats the only restriction. But this is really odd. I read about this in the pa outdoor life newspaper awhile back. but the fishing regs dont mention it. they just say if you have questions regarding this disease to call the nw regional office. (page 9 in manual). maybe it went to press before the announcement?

4. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    It's legal as long as it isn't carp or goldfish.

5. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    http://www.fish.state.pa.us/fishpub/summary/bait.html

Releasing fish from another state, province, or country into Commonwealth waters is illegal without written permission from the Commission. Transferring fish from one Pennsylvania watershed to another where that species is not always present is also illegal without written consent from the Commission.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Darn Griz, your raining on their parade. lOL