Can you school me like I'm a 5 year old? Please?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Guns & Cockpits, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    Hi guys, new guy around the catfishin' world, and the only thing I've ever fished with is cut mackerel, a weight, and a little trout pole with some 8 lb. test.

I'm working on upgrading the rig, as the fish I've been catching have been bigger, and too many snapped lines tell me that I'm doing something wrong.

Two things I'm real curious about, and I'm looking for an explanation like I'm a 5 year old:

1. Trot lines. What are they? How are they used? What do they do? I tried a search, but they're all about details. I need the basics!

2. Live bait. How does one go about fishing live bait? I have access to catching a ton of blue gill and tiny small mouth bass, and I've heard they work, but how is it accomplished?

Thanks in advance for any help, I'm looking forward to broadening my horizons and moving up the ladder to the big cats.

2. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome to the BOC erik

a trot line is a string of hooks seperated about a couple feet tied at one end and usually sunk on the other the hooks are fastened to the main line by a leader and baited , these are used to catch a multitude of fish at one time . check your local laws before useing these .

now the live bait can be hooked through the nose or the back which ever you prefer or find to be best suited for you , they tend to do better in current when hooked thru the nose

for more info look in the archives on here

good luck

3. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    erik check the regs i know in southern cali at jennings and san vincinte u can't use trot lines or live but really fresh mackeral is the ticket and fresh water oysters or musslels work great i hope this helps

4. CatfishHateMe

CatfishHateMe New Member

State:
    Il
    here, i didnt feel like explaining it and i reckoned itd be alot easier to see a picture.

Attached Files:

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You will invariably learn alot from this site. I have only one suggestion, go big. I too used to mess around with tiny line. Whenever I would lose a fish, I would get a little bigger line. Don't waste your time losing good fish. Get some 20# or bigger line and drag them babies right out of the water.

6. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I would check regulations in your state about livebait. states have very different regulations. In Indiana you are allowed to use any game fish you catch as long as you caught it with a pole and it is legal length. These are about the loosest regulations i've heard of regarding livebait. I would bet smallmouth are illegal or at least must be of legal length. I wouldn't a small smallmouth, the CO's might frown upon that.

7. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    Hey thanks a lot for the info. guys. I'm getting the feeling that both trot lines and live bait are probably against my local regulations, otherwise I'd probably have seen some folks using them by now. But it's nice to know anyway, now I don't feel like such a noob...

8. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Hey Guns & Cockpits, hope yer not in China Lakes....not much in the way of fish there. I'm new too, but here goes. You're gonna be surf fishing in fresh water. Gotta have a pole at least 7ft. long. Reel has to have enough torque to reel in yer first date, with line absolutely no lighter than 20# test. The hooks are as big as yer little finger in J formation. The sinker is 30 to 50 caliber. The bait is the size of fishes they have fer breakfast in Israel. Use yer trout rig fer catching bait, red worms instead of salmon eggs. The catch basket you have for trout fishing is now good for your lunch. If yer bank fishing go with the 8-12 ft. rod. If you are float fishing the float is bigger than a can of Bud. There that saved you some time.
    Welcome to the BOC. Great site. Good folk. Check out the articles. It's all good.
    :smile2:

9. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Erik, check your regs. Over here we get a pamphlet when we buy our liscense each year, plus the DNR has a web site with the same info. A trot-line usually has a minimum of 50 hooks tied to a strong main line, around here they string the main line across a river or creek, or across the mouth of a cove in a lake. You can tie each end above the water to trees or rocks or under water (if boats are a problem) to the same. Some guys put a large weight on the center of the line to sink it. Like a gallon jug full of rocks to keep the baits on the bottom and keep from tangling with boats. The hooks are spaced 2 to 3 ft apart. The hooks are tied to the main line with 12 to 15 inch leaders, so they hang below it. If live bait is legal, bait half with live bait and half with cut bait. Mackerel,shad,bluegill whatever. Hook live baits in the nose or the back between the tail and dorsal fin. And if you think your line is too small now wait till you start using live bait. Invest in an Abu Garcia 6500 or 7000. learn how to cast it and put some 80lb power-pro on it. Use the rod you have now to catch bait.Buy a cast-net and get some shad to use for bait, either live or cut.

10. SC Hartwell

SC Hartwell New Member

State:
    Pickens, SC
    I use saltwater gear (stand up boat rods, star drag bait casters, 20-40 lb. test line). Just a suggestion but if they're big catfish in the area use heavier gear, at least MH action rods.

I usually hook live bait under the dorsal fin and use a 7/O King Kahle, 2 ounce sinker, barrel swivel, and bead to protect the know.