Can you haggle for new boats like cars?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by kitsinni, Dec 30, 2008.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have been looking around for my first boat and I was wondering if you can haggle new boat prices, or are they set?

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    In todays economy i would think a person could jew his way into bout whatever he wanted if he had money down and credit. Every day they set on a lot, the less profit there is to be made.

3. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    I would have to agree with John on this one, I always have, pretty much any big tickett item, always worth a shot, (watched granddad to many times growing up) He's thought always was, no matter where your at shopping chances are they are not the only one selling that item....... One thing for sure, the worst they can tell ya is no, then they hear BY, LOL.........

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Of Course. Try it and see.

5. pphillips

pphillips New Member

State:
    OK
    what kind of markup do dealers put on new boats? used boats?

6. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    This is the year of the bargain, if you've got the cash.

Just spend it at home, and keep America working!

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Boats are NO different than any other merchandise. Make them an offer that hurts their feelings, and work from there. Personally, I'd opt for a good used boat and save even more. A sale from an individual might give even more leeway for a STEAL!

BB in SC

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    You can haggle with anyone.

Whether or not they take the offer is another thing, and that depends on the dealer, the boat, and of course what you are asking. Trying to get $1,000 off a $45,000 center console is very possible, but trying to get $1,000 off a $3,000 duck boat is nearly impossible.

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Everything can be negotiated. If you seen my mother in action you would be surprised what can be negotiated. Even grocery store prices can be haggled with her around. I used to just shake my head when I was younger thinking what is she doing. I learned real quick no price is set in stone. Don't get caught overcharging her even a couple pennies either.

10. Whistling Dixie

Whistling Dixie New Member

State:
    Texas
    You can absolutely haggle with a boat dealer. I spent a significant amount of time haggling when I bought my boat recently. If I had accepted their first offer I would be out $5000 extra. I know it's a dirty trick but I often shop every dealer within a 500 mile radius and make them put their offer in writing. After you collect your offers then you can see who's gouging and who really wants your business. In my case I really wanted to buy from one certain dealer because their E-tec mechanic is considered to be one of the best in the nation, so I took my lowest offer and told them they had to beat it our I would go somewhere else. They beat it and then some. A long term customer is often more important than the upfront sale. Stand your ground:tounge_out: