can you guys(and gals) please help me

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by dumpyloser, Aug 15, 2003.

1. dumpyloser

dumpyloser New Member

State:
    South/North Carolina
    I was a member of the site way back in 2003 when i was stuck in KY for the summer for nothing to do. I acquired a lot of knowledge during those two months, but I still struggle when it comes to catching fish. I go to local lakes and rivers and sit there for hours and rarely get bites or catch fish. one time i sat in the same spot for nearly 24 hours without catching 1 fish. I am not about give up the hobby (I love to sit at the lake and enjoy God's creation). I just want some help on what directions i need to go.

I have recently used:
    night crawlers
    red worms
    shrimp
    stink bait

I have previously used:
    Chicken livers
    Beef livers
    rotten chicken soaked in a little bit of water with red coolaid, to give a bloody appearance (a recipe i saw on here way back in the day)
    trout chow
    dog doo

I fish at night, because that is the only chance we can get.
    I am not JUST fishing for channel cats, in fact i'm not even sure whether that is what I am catching (it's been a while).

I fish the Raleigh area (Falls Lake) and the Upstate SC area (Lake Cherokee, and Thicketty, and occasionally Wiley, and the Broad River)

The most recent failure was this past monday night/tuesday morning we traveled an hour to Wiley(sp) and stayed for about 4 hours without a hit. I used shrimp and even tried a trick that worked for me while i was in KY. ( use 1 or 2 hooks with worms or shrimp and 1 hook with a longer leader that was a sponge stinkbait hook, just to attract fish. NOTHING

I feel like I'm going to the doctor and telling him my symptoms.... so with all this info, can anyone stop the pain and prescribe me with a cure? :sad2:

2. dumpyloser

dumpyloser New Member

State:
    South/North Carolina
    btw i'm fishinf from the bank... and i've also used helgramites (river) and minnows, but i forgot to include them

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Try using any cut bait or live bait native to the water you're fishing. Thats a start. I'm sure others will chime in.

Welcome back! Tons of good info for the taking. Check out the library,anything you wanna know there!:big_smile:

4. dumpyloser

dumpyloser New Member

State:
    South/North Carolina
    thanks... In SC i can't use cut bait, atleast not bream (which is all i know how to catch) In NC, I have tried that too with no success, but i never tried it for a long period of time. When i do catch fish they are not any size.( MAYBE 2 lbs). I just want to have a night where we catch multiple fish each. The girl i go with always rubs it in my face because she'll catch more than me (which is usually 1). Heck I'd rather see her catch more than me, just so long as there gettin caught! Haha.

5. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I would try a different soap or deodorant, it could be something on your hands that is turning them away. No offense intended, its just cat fish can smell anything. They have sensors all over there body and are very sensitive to smell, so to speak.
    If your girl friend is catching fish, is she baiting the hook or are you?

6. dumpyloser

dumpyloser New Member

State:
    South/North Carolina
    i thought about that too... so i've started using disposable gloves made out of purple nitrate (no powdery stuff, and they are much thicker) to try and see if it is the problem. Actually I have seen increased bites (albeit very little) since then. Most of the time, I bait the hook. her catching is minimal as well, just slightly more than mine (because i never catch anything :tounge_out:). Also i switch soaps and deodorants often just because i find something that i think smells better or works better :p. I've tried simple things like not gassing the vehicle on that day, washing my hands only in water w/o soap, and when i do catch a fish, i get it's slime all over my hands on purpose and even rub it on the leader sometimes (read that here too back in the day). Thanks for the help guys... i know it's got to be something simple that i am doin/not doing that is causing the drought. BTW is the literal drought in the southeast and the low lake levels going to effect how and where i can get bites?

7. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Welcome (back) to the BOC.
    How deep are the holes you are trying? What time of year are we talking, now? Are you using a lot of light on the shore? Are you fishing in areas that are heavily pressured? What in the areas that you are trying makes you think it is a good post? Maybe just need to try some different spots. I think I read somewhere that 90% of the fish in a given body of water only occupy 10% of that body of water. I think that is how it went.:confused2: Your problem may just be your locations you are fishing. If you are not fishing some type of structure, or where there is a source of food than chances are the fish won't be in that spot either. I have fished and done well in spots for years and had no luck at all in the same spots this year because of the record low water levels. Found new spots and caught fish everything else stayed the same.:big_smile:
    Just my 2 cents.:big_smile:

Thanks
    David

8. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Other things you may want to try is, different leader lengths, or sinker weight. Maybe your bait isn't staying down, or it is down to far due to a short leader.
    Alot of it is trial and error, try one method one day and try another the next.
    Eventually you will find a happy spot that will work in most situations.

9. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I feel like location is more important than bait choice, or what deodorant/soap you use. If you're in the right place at the right time, none of that will matter. I only use live or cut baitfish. I take along worms as well just incase I can't obtain any baitfish, or if I'm fishing a certain lake where worms is the most productive bait. Normally, I don't get skunked, but I fish good waters and have experience fishing those waters.

I would suggest not leaving your bait in one spot too long. I usually reel my line in and move it if I haven't had a bite in 30-45 minutes. If I KNOW I'm in a good spot, I might wait longer. I'm not saying pack up, and move somewhere else. Just cast deeper, or shallower, near structure such as brush or timber, or rocks.

It's a shame that you aren't allowed to use perch/bream for bait. What about shad or herring? Idunno. I feed them what they eat, and feel like most prepaired baits are gimmicky. Not that some of it doesn't work, just if you are in the right place at the right time, the best bait is often free and plentiful. Keep your head up, and keep changing tactics 'till ya get it figured out.

10. dumpyloser

dumpyloser New Member

State:
    South/North Carolina
    Big Dav I am not sure about the depth as I am fishing from the bank. I can say that none of the lakes that i fish are particularly deep (except possibly Wylie (sp?). The time of year, is now as well as the other 11 months too... but now is always more important :p :wink:. by the light on the shore, do you mean a lantern etc.? I used use a lantern, but now I just fish by moonlight and/or fire and flashlights and occassional car lights. what do you mean, by pressuring ( a lot of people fishing it???). if so, they are not overfished i wouldnt think.

I have tried different spots to no avail, but that could have a huge amount to do with it... but again, it may not :cool2: . maybe I should try baiting hole, then if i don't get bites i should just watch other people fish from a distance (haha... that aint gonna happen)

11. dumpyloser

dumpyloser New Member

State:
    South/North Carolina
    ive used different sinker weights, but i just use the stock leader length that comes on the eagle claw/lazer sharp hooks from walmart. (maybe i can play with that some).

i don't know how or where to get shad or herring fresh, but i have used the shad that is sold in bags.

12. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest

Ryan,
    Get yourself a minnow trap and / or minnow scean (spelling ?) and catch yourself some creek chubs for bait.

Bright light on the beach can sometimes be an issue if it is in an area that does not always have the light. Such as a street lamp, parking lot light, etc. If there is a bright light on outside you bedroom window and it is not suppose to be there you know it. So do the fish. IMHO. I think this is more of an issue with Flatheads but it could very well be an issue with all cats and everyone may not agree with this. :eek:oooh::crazy:
    That is what i meant by pressure. If an area gets fish heavily and or often it can make the fish sparse and the ones that are in the area can be hard to convince they need to eat.
    I find that this time of year the fish are holding in a little deeper water. You can use a slip float stop (just don't snug the stop down super tight) and a good size sinker to find the depth you are fishing. The float will push the stop up the line and stop when the sinker (weight) hits the bottom.
    Cast it out let the sinker go tot he bottom and carefully reel in the line to the float and measure the line from the float stop to the sinker (fixed in place).

Location, location, location.

I hope this helps and whatever you do, don't give up until you can catch more fish than she can.:smile2:

Thanks
    David

13. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Shad in the bag=leather soaked in formaldehyde. If you were a fish would you eat it lol. Where to find shad. If it is in the waters that you fish (most places it's abundant) they can often be seen flipping on the surface of the water in schools. In the spring, they will be concentrated in shallow water typically in the backs of shallow coves, or around boat ramps. They can be caught with a castnet alot of times from the bank. If they are there, and you have a net, you can usually catch them. Ask around. If you can get your hands on some, that would be a great go-to bait for any catfish.

14. dumpyloser

dumpyloser New Member

State:
    South/North Carolina
    how and where would i use the minnow trap? I've never done any catching of baitfish and never had anyone to show me this. I guess u could say i'm a first generation fisherman, nobody has ever shown me anything outside of putting a liver/worm/shrimp on a hook. everything else i've had to try and learn hit or miss on my own. just keep missing haha.

i've never caught one off of those shad lol, the only good they have been is one of my friends caught a very nice small mouth bass reeling in to check his bait :big_smile:. I'll have to check and see if it is illegal to use shad or not. i know at one lake it's even illegal to use minnows . You guys have been a lot of help so far!

15. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Here you go is an priceless collection of information. http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38576
    Its the BOC library, scroll down to page three and you will find info about bait and catching bait.
    Hope this helps. I can spend hours in the BOC library reading and learning.

Thanks
    David

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    did you say you have tried using dog doo? :embarassed: how did you hook that on? rollo

17. dumpyloser

dumpyloser New Member

State:
    South/North Carolina
    just like you would pack on stink bait.... except using a rag to keep it from touching my hands lol.... it was worth a shot, as is almost anything else.... I even read the thread about using rocks for bait haha.... i'll read into the library later, i've got to go to work soon

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    like you would pack on stinkbait huh...WOW.. that is a new one for me..lol...so if my dog gets the squirts we can still use him for chummin!!!LMAO!!..rollo

P.S. might try the more conventional ways and not so much the experimentive ways.. keep throwing the liver and cutbaits even.. i think you will have better luck with them...atleast i hope....rollo

19. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I also bank fish and I can almost guarantee you it's has a lot to do with the location and bait. This time of year is hard, the best you can do is keep moving. The lower levels have made it hard because it's taken away a lot of bait fish holding structure. I would try to make it out during the day if possible also. I've seen fish still coming up shallower when the water warms up late in the day. As far as light, I don't think it matters as much from the bank unless your summer time flathead fishing right off the shore. I run lights and campfire all summer long and do just fine because I'm casting a good 100' out. They will get mad at a flashlight while netting so watch out for that is all, LOL...Just my own opinion. Also trying the shad or herring is a must if possible. Remember its winter..sometimes smaller baitfish parts do better than whole.

Finding a partner to fish wit helps also, it keeps you busy and it's more rods out to cover the shore line.
    Ya just got to keep on trying different combinations and spots. Keep your chin up, have fun, and don't give up.

-Jim-

20. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    BEING A REDNECK THAT I AM I WOULD SAY TRY SOME CHARTRUSE DINAMITE. ask the local bait shop whats good .