Can you guess?

Discussion in 'Mac Byrum's Catfish University' started by Mac-b, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Review the attached photo's and see if you can tell what kind of catfish is illustrated.

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Im thinking its a channel cat.

3. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    First pic. looks like a blue though with the bottom lip not past the top lip.
    Cant count the number of rays on the fins too well, but apears to be rounded shaped. Well see what everyone else thinks.

4. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    I'm also guessing a channel cat.

5. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    The catfish has 23-24 rays.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I count 23 rays, head wider than body, white chin barbels....white cat. Would love to see that tail to see what the fork looks like. That would help clear it up some.

I catch a good many of these on Wylie that are almost like a hybrid between a channel and a white. Some of the white cats have clearly defined markings, then there are the in between fence stradlers with the number of rays being right in between a channel and a white cat!

7. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    It is an Ameiurus Catus (white catfish), WylieCat got it right. Students, next time print out the photo and you will be able to count the rays. Mac

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I counted the rays in the pic Mac...got THAT right. After that I reviewed what had been said on this board previously. Didn't look WHITE......assume that's what most folks were thinking, who may have looked at the picture. (Could that be WHY you posted it?) A lot of us may be children, as far as catfish go. That's the wonderful thing about the BOC, you learn something everyday. Now you've taught us that whites don't always appear as such.

9. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Catgirl, myself and others have been catching white catfish for years thinking they were the male of the channel cat species. Thanks to WylieCat back in August I found out what they were. I caught one yesterday and new exactly what I was going to do with it. Take a picture and share it with the BOC as an educational piece. By doing this, maybe it will not take the newbies ten years to figure out what they are catching, like it has for me and a bunch of other catfishing persons.

The membership can go to the BOC Library and find this data but, they don't know it and I figured I would help out with this process.

Check in for more on line seminar features by the Carolinas Catfish Club.

PS, does everyone know who came in third in the 2007 Cabela's King Kat Classic? I do and I'm dang proud of ________________aka, roundhill.