Can You Fish Swollen Rivers?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by IndyMedicGuy, Jun 4, 2008.

1. IndyMedicGuy

IndyMedicGuy New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just wondering if you can fish the rivers when they are swollen, muddy, and running hard? If you can are there different techniques to use to catch fish in these types of conditions? If not anyone know of any good lakes to go hit? I need to go do some fishin lol

2. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN

3. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I love it when the rivers come up. Find a nice tributary mouth & camp out there!

4. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    I'm almost excited the rivers are blown out. I finally have my house jacked up and no longer have to worry about evacuating every time the river comes up. Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Yep, I agree! The mouths of feeder creeks are excellent spots when the water is up. Its always definitely worth a try anyway! Just take extra lead and hooks and hang on.....:wink::big_smile:

6. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Here is a pic of the progress so far. I still have sidewalk and handrail to complete. If you look at the new view you can see the river is coming over the bank. The carp have already moved in the flooded area and are grubbing for worms. I have yet to see any cats do this but it could happen. By tomorrow I can fish off the deck. LOL

Attached Files:

7. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    jim you can fish off your porch now bro.! lol

medic,

the fish are easier to locate when the rivers high. they will be in predictable areas until it goes out of its banks,then they scatter too much. when still in the banks you need to fish the edges behind anything that divers current very close to shore. they will sit behind things and wait for a meal to swim by.

8. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Rairdog! Now that's a project!!! High & dry now, huh?

9. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    me and crayjet fished white last night a its up big time but we pulled some nice channels behind a island right next to the current is were theye all came from big around 11lb only had cut shad