Can you catch yellowcats using mudcats?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by Texas catfish hunter, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Texas catfish hunter

Texas catfish hunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hi, I just joined today and I am looking forward to talking to all y'all. Maybe someone can answer a question I have. I have been told that mudcats or(pollywogs) are good bait for yellowcats . I put about 20 on my tortline awhile back and they finally died after being covered in moss. I cut the fins off prior to using them. I have heard that they are good bait from the game warden and reading in mags. Do any of you out there have any experience with them? I have plenty and sure would like to know. Thanks :confused2:

2. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Don,
    First off, welcome to the BOC. Lots of good folks on here and lots of good information on catfishing. Mudcats do make good bait for flatheads. They are very hardy and will stay alive for quite a while.

Good luck to you,
    Bobby

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    They love them, As well as drum.
    pete

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I heard they are good on trotlines. btw welcome to the boc thanks for joining

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    mudcats are good bait for flatheads that said it sounds to me like your bait is getting down in that moss and hiding.try and set your lines a little off bottom or move them to a place with a hard bottom where they cant hide.

6. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    welcome to the B.O.C., best catfishing community on the planet. Yes they do work, I dont use them much because I dont catch them often. But when I did, I have caught a flathead or 2 on them.

7. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    flatheads will eat mudcats clipped or not. and you won't catch a mudcat too big to use as bait. they are a good option when the shallow water will kill bream when the water warms up.