Can you catch suckers with rod and reel?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Bigones, May 23, 2006.

1. Bigones

Bigones New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Howdy brothers I was just wondering if you can catch suckers for bait with a rod and reel? If so what do you use for bait? I know a creek that is full of them but I my cast net is way to big and I can't throw it. Thanks

2. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    Use redworms, a small hook, and as small as split shot you can get away with.

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Ill second Chubba's response, just a tiny redworm on a size 10 hook and light line, I like to catch them with ultralight rigs and 4# test. I imagin eyou can see a whole school of them, throw ahead of them and let the bait slow tumble down to them so you dont spook them, sit quietly and wait, they are "nibblers" and "Peckers" on the tight line, experiment but know they will sit on top of and suck your bait clean of fthe hook so when the tip is bouncing, hit em! If your waiting for them to run and hook themselves, it will never happen. When you hook them, get them up and away from the school as quickly as possible, then reply the scenaro over and over until you caught your fill. They can be quite frustrating to hook so keep at it!

Salmonid

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    yup, thats how i used to get them in early spring. i never had any luck fishing for them past mid april though. how big is your cast net?

5. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    What we do to catch suckers is we find a school in the creek that we can see swimming tie on a treble hook and chase the fish up and down the hole.Try to get them to swim near the hooks and wham .

6. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'll go along with that, small hook and small worms. I got a lot more with giging them thou. Carbide head lamp on the creek.

7. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I use nightcrawlers on the bottom with a single split shot in small creeks for redhoarse suckers around here. I usually use a #2 hook.

8. riverratmatt

riverratmatt New Member

State:
    ky, totz
    crawdad tails on a 8 or 10 hook

9. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    now i know you're gonna think im stupid here but. what do suckers look like? and are they called any other names? because i dont think i have ever even seen one

10. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Most are a gold color like a carp, some are more of a greyish color, but they are slender built and have mouths that kinda look like carp mouths. Only difference I've noticed in the mouths is that sucker mouths are more at a downward angle then the carp which is a little more straight foward. Most of my luck with them have been using nightcrawlers or old clam meat.

11. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    ya i catch them all the time for bait i go down to a lake about 20 miles away its kind of a dumb lake cuz all it has r mud cat and sucker so i catch some suckers then use them for bait with a small hook and a lil worm.

12. Fry Guy

Fry Guy New Member

State:
    Warrensburg Missouri
    The suckers we have in Oregon are silvery like a trout and can get pretty big. Always caught them when trout fishing with a worm and would always think it was a nice trout till they got real close. Most of the ones I caught were around 10 to 12lbs.

13. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've caught hundreds of them growing up. Using #6 hooks and a single split shot fished with a whole nightcrawler. We'd catch redhorse suckers up to 8lbs, silvers up to 3lbs, black suckers about 2lbs and the same with stone rollers. We'd also catch a lot of carp and quillback carpsuckers.

14. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Find where they're at, add some worm on the hook, and you can catch some good kitty bait.

15. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I'egaught 3 tis week channel fishig, lsrgest 20 in. 2 1/4 lb.