Can you catch shad with rod and reel??

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by BLKCLOUD, Dec 3, 2007.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I always use a cast net but have never heard of anyone using a fishing pole with bait..can it be done? if so what bait would you use? thanks!

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Gizzard shad don't bite on hooks - they're plankton eaters, and it's pretty hard to get plankton to stay on a #12 hook... :wink:

If you catch one with a hook, it's purely an accident...

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i catch them all the time on rod and reel in the winter, but it's me hitting them with a crankbait, not vice versa. when we find schools of them, i'll tie on 3 trebles about 8" apart, and a 1 ounce egg sinker on the bottom, then jerk it through the school. as for catching them with bait, i have never seen it.

4. Skipjack

Skipjack New Member

State:
    LaGrange, Ky.
    There is a secret way to catch Mooneye Shad, that an old catfish master showed me once. You take a Sabiki rig and put a wax worm on every hook and a 1 or 2 oz. sinker on the end. I didn't think that it would work untill he showed me, but sure enough, it worked. You just tight line in the same places where you catch Skipjack. It was in the summertime, in a current break. We caught enough bait to fish, every time we went, untill the Mooneyes left the area.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've snagged enough for bait when I didn't have a castnet along, if they were running in thick schools; I've also caught a few fishing for crappie with a jig, when I had to retrieve the jig through a school.
    IF I was determined to try to catch one in the mouth with a hook, I'd use a small green pea for bait. Mullet are a salt & brackish water fish widely used for bait down in Florida; also pretty good to eat. Since they're plankton eaters (like shad), most folks will tell you that you can't catch them on rod & reel, but if you visit the cross-Florida barge canal, you'll find lots of people fishing for their supper, using a cane pole, small hook, and a green pea for bait. And catching them, too.

6. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    As a kid in Florida we use to catch the mullet close to the same way. A cane pole, 5 hooks in a row, under a bobber. They use this imitation looking piece of corn, made of plastic that you slip on the line just above your hook. We would throw a cum, maybe cornmeal out there and then dunk the rig in the middle of it. They would mistake it for the cum and nail the hook. It's unreal the amount of mullet we caught now that I think about it. This was on the west coast, Yankee town maybe.

Fun old times
    -Jim-

7. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    The only way i have seen them caught on rod and reel is like massa jorge said.
    I have snagged them and seen them snagged while crappie fishing. I have seen one hooked through the mouth while crappie fishing but I am sure it was snagged also.
    I have use a 1/2 oz weight and treble hooks something like massa jorge. Only difference is I casted out over large schools and ripped it back through the school as fast as possible and caught a few when they are breaking on the top. Takes a while to do it this way and they are I have only used them for cut bait when I catch them like this. Cast net is the easiest for me when I can find them.:big_smile:

I hope this helped,
    David

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    MULLET:: Canned,frozen or fresh green peas and what brand/brands for Mullet?I know that there is much difference in firmness in product brands.We use tiny pieces of Red Wiggler Worm.Thanks.

I have caught American Shad all of my life on tiny spoons and tiny assorted artificial baits while they are on their spawning run from the Atlantic Ocean.It won't be long now.I hope I make another season.I love a fried Shad!

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    I saw a article once about a guy that caught american shad on their spawning run with what he called a shad dart he said that he had been catching them like that for 20 to 30 years , he said that he thought they were annoyed by it and maybe struck at the dart, but not trying to eat it.

10. catkwik

catkwik New Member

State:
    texas
    We were dropping jugs in Texoma and this guy comes up and says if you really want big stripers take a fly rod and catch a big shad on it and use it for bait below the dam. First I ever heard of catching shad on R&R.

11. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    i have never really tried to catch shad on a hook, but have caught 2 or 3 when fishing for gills, small hook 10-12 and wax worm, and all the ones i caught were 6 inches or bigger, i use a cast net to get them i suppose i could do it with a hook but it would take forever lol

12. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Holy cats, Yes American Shad from 4 to 7 pounds are caught on rod and reel by the zillions every year. The males fight like a tarpon making several really high jumps and are a blast to catch. The fems are egg laden and don't fight but are great in the skillet. Search "Florida shad fishing " on google !!!

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We've caught some really big shad...or wild shiners as some call them. Using a small hook with a tiny piece of worm. Mostly we go for the skipjacks on jigs.

14. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Shiners and shad ain't the same...

15. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    When they shad start to school in the cold weather like now and even when it gets colder at the cumberland steam plant you can watch waves of them come in. They will come in pretty shallow. Have used a cast net on them and that was almost a mistake, as the cast net was very full. But using a couple small treble hooks and weight can snag all you want, and the big ones fight pretty good especialy when more than one is snagged.:roll_eyes:

16. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Yep!!!

but it depends on what shad you are looking for...you can catch american and Hickory shad with a fishing pool and boy are they fun....but as mentioned previously...thread fins and gizzards are mainly plankton eaters...

enjoy....

http://www.greggofish.com/log31607.html

link courtesy of greggofish...