Can you catch flathead catfish from the bank?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Gibbzilla, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    If so, is it possible while the sun is up, or would I just be wasting my time?

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Only flathead I have caught was from a pier but it was at Lake Marion here in South Carolina. Not sure about day or night thing though.

3. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Every one of my flatheads were caught from the bank, but ive never seen one caught in the daytime.

4. Wyocatman

Wyocatman New Member

State:
    Centralia, Illinois
    Im sure flatheads can be caught from shore. Although I have yet to catch one, i know its possible. Happens all the time. The world record flattie was caught from the bank. As far as day or night, Ive read flatties are more active at night. In my experience, most big fish are more active at night under the cover of darkness. You might catch one during the day, you wont know until you try and any time on the water is not "wasted!!!"

Dru

5. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    All mine were caught from the bank. Most at night but a few were caught late evening and early morning. The one in my avatar was caught before dark but I didn't have a camera with me and it was dark by the time Tammy brought the camera out to me.

6. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We all have learned from example or from other peoples experiences that you can catch flats during the day...as well as catching them from the bank / shore. So without a doubt I would say yes it is possible to do both. However you obviously need to be in the right place at the right time with the right bait and presentation....sounds simple huh?

Fishing is a lot of trial and error and everyday can produce a different result. If you never try to experiment or if you never try to beat the odds you are always going to limit your possibilities. If I were to listen to what some people said about flathead fishing years ago I never would of persued it and I never would of had the recent success that I have had with it in the past few years.

Flats can be caught during the day and they can be caught on a variety of baits. I have caught plenty during the day on all kinds of different baits.........however when I plan to fish exclusively for flats I prefer to fish from early evening until late into the night and I do fish from a boat although it is basically like fishing from the bank because I am always beached up or tied off onto the bank when fishing for flats. The only difference is that I am sitting in my boat instead of a lawnchair. Your biggest set back that you will find is that it is tougher to get to all the holes and snags from the bank compared to using a boat. If you do enough scouting and planning it can be done....good luck

7. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I catch a lot of Flatheads, and only fish for them in the daylight hrs and from the bank.I also catch my channels and blues in the day time.

8. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Bank is good. Flat in my avatar was caught around 5:30 in the evening, in the first 10 minutes out. Have to find a good spot, some structure, undercut bank or deep hole on outside bend - and be patient.

Dennis

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    its been said that fish eat every half hour so if your there with the right bait during that half im sure you will catch one unless your luck is as good as mine :lol:

10. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    i've caught all of my shovelheads off the bank and half were durin the day. so no your not waistin your time but mos of em wrere caught after the sun had been out for a few hours in the mornin n a couple hours before sundown.

11. catfishkiller35

catfishkiller35 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have caught a bunch durring the day I think ya just have to catchem hungery

12. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    My largest fish was caught from the bank at 5:30 in the afternoon although the river was high and muddy that day-i suspect that played a role in my catch.

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    All my flatheads are caught from the bank.

95% of them in the dark of night.

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    My father in law catches lots from the bank and he's even caught them while drifting too! Its just a matter of presenting your bait to one that ripe to bite!!

15. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Just about all my fish I have caught have been from the bank from 5pm - 7:30am.

16. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    here in mena ar.every time the rivers go on a rise we head out fishing.we are targeting flatheads.most are small but every once in a while well get one up to 20 lbs.we use nite crawlers and creek chubs.they seem to work best in the muddy waters.johnnie

17. cloneskull

cloneskull New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hm. I could use some luck catching some, from shore. I haven't caught even one, so far.

18. mgoose

mgoose New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Catch almost all my Flathead from the bank , and alot of them before dark !! This one was caught at 5:00 pm two weeks ago !! cat pic.jpg
    31.9 lbs, So yes you catch them from the bank and in the day light, This one was caught on perch fillets , just try different things , think out side the box you might say !! Get after them and keep trying !!

19. SDcatatonic

SDcatatonic Well-Known Member

State:
    SD. Califonia
    Day, night, float tube pier, dock, you name it, they can be caught.:biggrin1:

20. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    I caught one in 2007 during the day on a closed municipal water supply lake. Oddly enough , it was mid winter , and I had cast near a fallen tree. I thought I was snagged , until I got the fish to shore. It didn't move until it saw me , then went nuts. Since then , the only other one I've caught was one afternoon on a minnow , but it was small , about 10". The first was about 5 pounds.