Can you catch catfish with rocks?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by kccats, Jul 21, 2006.

What kind of rock is best for catching catfish?

1. Igneous

2. Sedimentary

3. Metamorphic

4. You cant catch catfish with rocks

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I have seen so many "Can you catch catfish with ______" and found that every single thing has been used to catch catfish. In fact, usualy, there will be many posts about differant ways to use _________ to catch them.

So, in my feable attempt to throw down the gauntlet and say once and for all that catfish will eat most anything let me ask you.

Have you every caught a catfish with a rock? Have you ever caught a catfish with a rock in it's stomach? What kind of rock was it? How do you present a rock to a catfish? Do you do anything special to prepare the rock? What size of rocks do you use?

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I'm going to go with negative on this one.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    soak 'em in some anise extract:tounge_out:

4. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser New Member

State:
    New Mexico
    they do bite on a lot of things but I would have to say soak the rock in anise with garlic salt and chicken liver blood. then just tie them on the line with no hook and hopes he holds on lol.:tounge_out:

5. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    You didn't get hit in the head with a rock lately did you? :confused2:

6. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    No, but I have been accused by many brothers on here of being very hard headed.

So far, sedimentary rocks are in the lead. By the responses I have got already, it appears that the rock needs a "little help" by soaking in something.
    Sedimentary rocks would certainly be better for that since they are a bit porous and would have a tenancy to hold a solution longer. I suppose that you could even drill a hole in on and put a hook through it to act kind of like a sponge bait. You would not even have to use a sinker then!

I could probably even market it...
    "Chris Rock Bait" .... "For the bottom feeders"

It could be however that I was misinterpreting some articles I read about turning over "rocks for bait"....

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have caught fish with rocks in there gut but I can't see them eating them on purpose.

8. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    If you look around long enough you can fid a rock that is fish shaped. attach a trebble hook and fish it like a lure. suspended or on bottom. It is hard to find floater rocks.lmao

9. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I caught a catfish with rocks one time. It was just after I noticed that my windshield was broke out!The little sh^% was sneaking around the back of my boat with a guilty look on his face and rocks in his pockets! :eek:oooh: :lol: lmao

10. mwhham

mwhham New Member

State:
    kentucky
    ivory soap works

11. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Gee, I've been spending all this time buying and catching bait when all I needed to do was use rocks for bait!!!:angry: :crazy: :wink: :sad2:

12. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    im voting no
    no way a rock will work as bait haha
    maby as some sort of lure if it was shaped exactly right but not bottom fishing

13. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Put your thumbs in your ears and wiggle your fingers as you say wewb wewb wewb wewb wewb real fast. After a few minutes the catfish will surface to see what is going on, at that moment you throw a ROCK and knock out the fish.

14. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    yeah i caught a catfish with a rock. I stood over the side of the boat and threw the rock as hard as i could to the bottom and knocked him out cold:lol: :tounge_out:

15. TongiKat1

TongiKat1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Wow.

If I were lookin for a rock to fish with - I would start in the bottom of my neighbor's gas grill.

16. CatManAndy

CatManAndy New Member

State:
    ohio
    Rocks are all ill use for cats, for some reason the ones around here love them. I rig my line as follows: egg sinker, bead,barrel swivel, 10 inch leader then a circle hook with a rock on it. you have to drill holes in your rocks to able to put them on the hook, but its worth the effort. I ve caught many a nice flatty with just a quarter sized piece of sandstone.
    Im just pullin your chain. lol im full of crap

17. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I have caught a rock while Catfishing...does that count?

18. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Good luck with that! I don't think it is possible but after you find out let us know.

19. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    sandstone work's, but if you are after the big ones its's hard to beat a chunk of red brick.

20. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    only way i can think of to use a rock or rocks to catch catfish or just fish in general is to make a fish trap by building them up in streams and or shallow lakes, etc... then either bait it or "run the fish down into it...

basically its a funneling wall or 2 depending on the traps placement in relationship to the river... with a boxing wall (square that contains part of the funneling end in it... and closes off the funnel end so fish can't escape) that gives the fish a "safe" area... then you can either dip net or spear the fish once they are in the little box area... Its hard to describe i guess...

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/basegear/fig8-21.gif

Its the middle one in the picture although they used sticks (which work better) rather then stones... Both will work though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.