Can you catch bait ,cut it up and freeze it ??

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Montgomery, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    should you go catch new bait every time you plan to go fishing for cats? or can i go catch some bluegill's or chubs or soft crawls. and start freezing them for the next or up coming season ? can i freeze them whole after killing them or squashing them. or maybe cut them up into picese .and maybe store them in little cups with lids soked in chicken blood or somthing and then frozen??

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Mike,

Fresh Bait is always the best by FAR. But you can freeze bait and catch fish on it later on. However, I would not freeze any type of baitfish besides Shad. I did try to freeze Bream one time and it just wasn't any good at all, and I can sort of see why, not enough oil and blood.

So for the most part, try your best to stick with very fresh bait, but if you have to freeze some bait, try to get something besides Bream. Shad is best.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I freeze shat all the time, do not cut it up, freeze it whole.

4. JamisonM

JamisonM New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree totatly. Even though I use mullet, I made the mistake of cutting them up before freezing. This led to all the oils and blood from the fish leaking to the bottom of the bag. When I buy them from now on, I'll be putting them in platic zip-lock bags whole and when I go fishing, I'll just take a bag or two from the freezer and cut from the frozen fish what I need for bait.

5. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I agree. Frozen bait does work, but it will be a mess to handle if you cut it up prior to freezing it.

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I appreciate very much the answer to the question of freezeing bait. I appreciate very much the brother who asked it as I too was wondering the same thing.All of ya are great people and I'm very proud to be associated with ya.Pat Powell:big_smile:

7. FWFeecherman

FWFeecherman New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Mike! Yes you can freeze your bait. Katmasterjr is right when he says fresh is always best. But, one thing I do every year and have had a lot of success with is freezing cutbait made from suckers. I go every year to a local river when the suckers are spawning (usually late april in my neck of the woods). I have a blast catching them on light gear and I keep 15 - 20 depending on size. I then take them home and I fillet them. I then cut them into varying size pieces of cut bait. I then vacuum seal them into small (about 1lb) packages that way I can choose depending on how much time I am going fishing. I then throw them into the freezer for when I need them. When it is time to go fishing, thaw them out slowly and you'll have great bait. Remember though, once you thaw them out, don't refreeze them. It gets nasty if you try. I have never tried crawdads, so IM not sure about freezing them. Tight Lines and Screamin Clickers to Ya!

8. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    This summer I started saving and freezing gills because it was so hot out that they were hard to come by. It saved some time thats for sure. However one of the members here (Jason Berry), told me that his best catches usually always come from fresh caught live gills. So I took his advice and I was able to up my catch ratio as a result. So I gotta tell ya fresh caught and live if possible is best (in my opinion). Thanks again Jason!

9. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    By the way...welcome to the BOC!:smile2:

10. Wayne J.

Wayne J. New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Froze goldfish once just wasnt any good, but I do buy frozen skipjack, so I guess its all in what kind of bait it is. I also agree that fresh is always best. good luck to ya.:cool2:

11. mashunter18

mashunter18 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree with the shad, I just freeze them whole. Its nice to have bags of them ready for a last minute trip or late night trip. Plus the kids love to go with me to use the cast net.

Sure if your fishing for big flatties its nice to have the live fish, but if your shad is already in the freezer grab a bag, that way if you strike out on live or even fresh your set....

Iv refreezed shad before and dont think there is that much difference over fresh for channel cats atleast.

12. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I freeze any bait that dies in my tanks. Chubs, shad, bluegill. The works. I have had decent luck on the frozen ones, but I still 100% prefer fresh. Freeze them whole and use the quality zip lock bags. Definetely don't try to budget on the bags, they can get expensive, but are well worth the cost whether it is for bait or for your actual catch!!!

Tight Lines

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I agree with Jack. Fresh is best but froze bait is better than no bait. When freezing try to remove as much air out of the bag as you can. Some people use vaccum sealers and say this works better than the ziplock bags. Also when collecting and storing bait never let the shad stay submerged in water, keep it on top of ice until you are ready to bag and freeze it.

14. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Frozen crawfish should work as well as frozen shrimp, though the stuff you get in the stores was probably flash frozen so retains its odors well. I've used refrozen shrimp with no noticeable difference in the catch ratio.

15. usmc0208

usmc0208 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    It's not as good as fresh bait but it works

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I'd rather stay home than fish with frozen bait.

Learn to find fresh bait for every trip and you'll have more fishing success, I promise. Frozen bait might work, but it's a distant second place to fresh bait.

I'm a bit fanatical, I suppose, but I want my bait to be alive and lively just before I cut it into pieces and put it on the hook, o I keep my bait in a Gralyine bait tank. You can't get any fresher than a piece of cut shad that still twitches when you stick the hook through it...