Can You Buy Live Shad

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by IndyMedicGuy, May 29, 2008.

1. IndyMedicGuy

IndyMedicGuy New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Are there any places around to buy live shad at a bait shop or something? I also here that skipjack works well but all I have ever seen is frozen. I have heard that fish that has been frozen then thawed for bait doesn't work well is this true?

2. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It's very hard and almost impossible in my eyes to beat a fresh piece of bait especially with a frozen piece. And I never hear of any baitshops selling live shad (not saying they dont) because they are so hard to keep alive. Thats the same reason I don't see skipjack at the baitshop either. However I do take skipjack and some shad and freeze them throughout the year for those times when Bait is very scarce and I want to hit the river. And although they arent freshly caught I still do quite well on my thawed bait, especially my skip jack. They are a more mushy when they are frozen and then thawed so you cant throw them as hard, but they still work. So I would get some frozen skippies if you can and take those fishing, Im sure you will still be impressed with how they work. A lot of times of the year skips are the only thing I can buy a fish on. Fresh or frozen

3. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Unfortunately no. Shad are notoriously difficult to keep alive without extensive care. It would be impossible considering the moving around, water changes, and stress in any kind of retail situation.

Also I have had very little luck with frozen shad. That may not be the case for other folks, just been that way for me.

I have however, had great luck with frozen (or very chilled) bluegill. One thing I have noticed though; if I catch them then immediately put them on ice while they are still kickin' I catch more catfish. If they die in the bucket before I ice them, my catch rates go way down.

4. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Another reason you can't buy live shad is that live shad are illegal to fish in many waters in Indiana (most of them actually). I know you are wanting them alive so they are fresh, but if I owned a baitshop I would be nervous about selling an illegal bait, even if you can't get in trouble.

5. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    the only place i have ever seen live shad for sale is down at santee cooper. They have huge concrete tanks that stand about 4 ft high and are 10 yards long. Before i went down there i never heard of such a thing. In the winter time i can keep about a dozen or two alive in a 5 gallon bucket with good air. But once the water warms you're better off putting them in the freezer bag alive and in the cooler. Put a few paper towels in there too.-bassmassey

6. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Shad are very hard to keep alive like everybody says. I prefer skipjack and some bait stores sell them theres a baitshop called sportsman corner in henderson Ky that sells frozen skipjack and I think frozen skipjack work very well except if your fishing for flatheads then you need fresh same day skipjack kept on ice. I catch alot flats like that. But fresh is always better but frozen works well also. Hope this helps.

7. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This is a very good question. My father just recently close down our baitshop 12 years so i know the rules. Like someone said shad are illegal to fish with live in many of our waters in Indiana. So the DNR to keep populations down put a law agianst selling live one just for the simple fact that they dont get in waters there not in. Shad are Illegal to sell (ALIVE) but dead are legal. They wouldnt make it to the consumer alive any ways unless the owners went and caught and took very great care of them. Thought i would give my 2 cents.

8. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    The rule for not using live shad was established years ago to keep them from spreading into other bodies of water. Now they are everywhere and the DNR just hasn't seen seen a need to change the rule (as with many other rules). I have talked to our DNR officer and that is his explanation. He tells me "it won't be a problem HE catches you using live shad" even though it's illegal. Other officers might not have the same opinion. The way I look at it, if there are no shad to be found the the cats are feeding on other baits. I try to find river minnows or catch panfish. I very seldom head to my fishing holes with bait. It's much more challenging to get to a spot with a casting net and ultra light and catch some bait first before targeting cats. To many people get hung up on a particular bait that has worked before instead of trying to find what the cats have available to eat. If it takes too much effort to catch bait (like and hour) it seems the cats aren't there anyway. Especially this time of year when the cats are gorging for pre-spawn. They are never far from food.

9. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    When I was with the DNR we had some discussions about legallizing the use of live shad in some more waters than just Brookville. I just checked the 2008 regs and I didn't see any other waters listed. I'll send out an email & see what happened with that. You are right, shad are nearly everywhere in Indiana already, but those places that don't have shad don't need them!

10. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    I checked with my DNR buddy & he said that the rule changes they proposed are still being considered. If the changes are accepted, they would allow live shad to be used for bait at 6 other waters besides Brookville as long as those shad are captured in that lake & used only in that lake. The primary purposes of the shad rules are to make them available at a few more bodies of water but at the same time to tighten up the transport and possession rules thereby making enforcement easier and inadvertent or intentional stockings a little less likely.

I hope this is encouraging for some of you. I'll keep you updated on the progress of this.

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Oops sorry, wrong thread:embarassed: