Can you believe my favorite reel is discontinued?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by dannybcc, Aug 24, 2006.

1. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Gentlemen,
    My current flat head reels are a 7000, 7000C3, GTI310 and a BG9000. My wife and I fish at night with 4 lines out. To each his own but my overall favorite would be my 7000C3. I went to order a couple for a good friend and Cabelas showed them as diccontinued. Scheels today also showed them as discontinued. "Can you beleive" of the 4 reels mentioned Berkley would discontinue what I consider my favorite.

Dannybcc

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

It happens all the time. Just wait I would almost bet it comes back out under a different name with a bigger price tag.

3. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    They can still be found...try another source.:wink:

4. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Danny I was in bass Pro in Council Bluffs Iowa Yesterday and they had them and I looked at one because I wanted to see If it had the new carbon matrix drag system. It diden't. but anyway they have the 7000c3 in stock But how many I can't answer. Hope this helps. J.D.Straka :smile2:

5. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    catfish conedtion has them. also just saw them at wall mart, it may be that the 05 have been discontinued. and there wating 4 the new drag system

6. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Bass pro's got em'....99.99:smile2:

7. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Good Luck finding the good ones made in sweden. The ones now made are junk and you will still pay a pretty penny for them and they will only last a short time.

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    The 7000c3 is still listed on ABU's website.

9. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Thanks for the replies guys. We will be in Council Bluffs labor day weekend so I will check out Bass Pros.
    Thanks again
    Dannybcc

10. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    They will probably come out with one that has the new drag system in it and it will cost even more!

11. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Hay Danny Forgot to mention it but as desperado just posted they are now made in China the ones I saw at Bass Pro were made there. What in the world is going on? Is Everything going to end up being made in China? Sad State of affairs as far as I'm Concerned!!Time to let these manufactures Know how we feel and Boycot some of them till they get the Message. Don't know if it will Help though Just my thoughts.

12. dannybcc

dannybcc New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Hello jdstraka
    I see your from Iowa also. If so you probably also remember when Berkley Beddell moved most the Berkley production to china. And I beleive he was our state representative at that time. I couldnt believe an elected official would do that. That was probably 20 years ago just guessing. Now Berkley bought Abu Garcia and did the same. On the positive side maybe letting others build all our toys gives us more time to fish!!!!!!!
    I think Penn reels are still american made. Nothing wrong with a Penn reel. They are a very quality piece. I have had my GTI310 for about a year now and it is moving up my Abu list of favorites.
    Danny j

13. Mr. Rooster

Mr. Rooster New Member

State:
    Hurst, Texas
    I have 3 7000c3's. One that was made in sweden, and two that were made in Taiwan. The two made in Taiwan were assembled in Sweden and still undergo quality control in Sweden. The parts are the same. Labor is cheaper in Taiwan, that's the only thing. All three of these reels perform the same, casting distance, drag, etc. I know that certain dealers still sell them new in box on e-bay. The only 7000's I have seen at Cabelas or bass pro are the high speed models. If anyone can substantiate a physical difference between the reels made in Sweden or Taiwan, I would like to hear it. When I contacted abu garcias website I was told that parts are still the same, and from what little disassembly I have done I have been unable to refute their claims. i also own Penn reels and a Tidewater 30L and all of them, including the abu garcias, have gotten the job done, be it in fresh or saltwater. I have yet to lose a fish because one of these reels malfunctioned or broke down. Usually it is just angler error or alcahol.

Eric