Can you all help me? - need a new rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Chad M, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Chad M

Chad M New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I went snagging for the first time today. I hit something huge it broke my new heavy action big cat rod after a 5 minute fight. What rod do y'all suggest?
    A solid fiberglass or another hollow graphite rod?
    Thanks Chad M

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Check with spoonbill, he snags quite a bit. He may be able to steer you in the right direction.:wink:

3. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    I think solid glass rods are the ticket for snagging, yes they are heavy but it's not like you are bass fishing with them:eek:oooh:

4. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Well first! What do you intend to use the rod for? Snagging or catfishing. If you intend to use it for catfishing get a catfish safari rod. If you intend to use it for snagging go get a real snagging rod.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I use Ugly sticks big water boat rods. (BWB) 1140 MH 7.0'
    I have been useing these for years and have landed spoonbill up to 100lbs, on them. I use braided dacron and have never had any eye wear at all with these. They do have a heavy version in the same rod but I prefer there MH as its a lot more fun to fight the fish with, they dont wear you out from the weight and they also work just as well for catfishing when snagging season ends.
    Don't waste your money on one of those Broom stick snagging rods, you just as well strap a reel on a pool stick. Ive seen them all including solid oak and pool sticks, they will wear you out, are no fun to fight fish with and will sit in the shed the rest of the year.

6. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn

What weight was your graphite rod?
    I would go with med heavy to heavy e-glass rod.

7. Chad M

Chad M New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The weight is 20-60 lb line 3-8 oz lure.
    Chad M

8. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Sounds like you had a bad blank or it was built incorrectly. You might contact the manufacture of the rod and see if there is a warranty. I have a American tackle blank med. heavy that split after catching a couple of 3-4# blues. American tackle sent me a whole new blank at no charge.

9. Chad M

Chad M New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I took it back to farm and home supply in Quincy ill, they said if i break another one just bring it back. That's pretty good service in my book. What solid rod do y'all suggest? Chad M

10. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Spoon, what is that ugly stick big water stick you speak of? I had a fish break one of my 7-6 ugly sticks last year and last Saturday I had a small tree float buy and take 4 of my lines out..I managed to cut 3 of them but it ran about 60 yards of line off the last one. I was trying to play the tree and get back some of my line but the tree won..my ugly stick broke! Are the BWB rods better? I'm not real sure what these are, they are the ones Walmart have. I was really surprised that pole broke. I dang near fell out of the boat!

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Dave, they are Big Water Boat Rods. I dont believe you will find them at wal-mart. I ordered mine thru cabelas, look under saltwater rods. They cost 65.00 ea. I use the** BWB 1140 7'0" MH

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    and if anyone finds the bwb 7' not enough the bwb 8' should darn well fit the bill its big & bad i got both.

13. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I own 3 or 4 of the ugly sticks that I got from Walmart and this is the second one to break..I would rather pay a little more and get a rod that I know is not going to break if I ever hook a pig. I had the tree coming in..really shocked me that the pole broke. I'll check out Cabelas..we have one down here..Thanks for the information.

14. Chad M

Chad M New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the replies, I'm going to check out rods at Gamemasters in quincy today on my to work.
    Thanks again Chad M