Can ya help a rookie?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by saltfisher420, Apr 2, 2009.

1. saltfisher420

saltfisher420 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Hello To All!!

Well I just recently moved up to the Knoxville area, and a buddy of mine took me out catfishin'...Holy Smokes is about all I can say! What a rush! It reminds me of many summer days spent on the Ocean doing a bit of "bottom fishing". Well I have been over to the Fort Louden Dam and had a real nice "run" but the hook didn't set, but my buddy ended up catching a 25lb Blue that night, and I knew that the game was on. Well last night went out and caught a real nice channel cat that weighed in at 9.5 lbs and of course get beat again by my friend catching a 17 pounder!! Basically I just wanted to introduce myself and see if any of you guys could give me some tips. I'm not looking for the honey-holes, but any ideas on what they like to eat, rigs, time of day, or tips on fishing the Dams; would be great.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Welcome to the BOC. You will find a lot of nice people here on this site. If you have a question there will be someone to answer it. Also a lot of them will tell you where their honey hole is.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Welcome to the BoC Lewis. I don't fish the rivers so I'll let the other guys help ya there with rigs etc. Now bait, that's the same everywhere. Use bream, blue gills, herring, shad, threadfins...things of this sort. Blues really like fresh cut bait ( and live ) but Flatheads are more commonly caught on live bait. Your channels tend to eat like the blues. For us here, small cut bait is working well. As the water warms up bigger baits will do great.

Check local laws on what your allowed to use a bait in your area. Also hit the local bait shops and ask around ; )

g'luck
    -Jim-

4. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    welcome to the BOC Lewis ,i,m trying to learn my self check the boc libray it,s got a lot of good info

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    There's lots of Real Good info, as well as folks here,,,,

Get you some quality tackle that'll handle what you're huntin'.. rods, reels, line, hooks, etc.. Sounds like you're off to a great start though!!

And,,, Welcome to the BOC:wink:

6. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    I don't fish loudon much any more but if i did i would go up between the bridge and tellico dam and catch some 1/2 pound bream along the rock bluff then go back to the river and use the bream for bait.

7. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Dickie and Lewis.

8. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome Lewis,Read,read,read. thats all you have to do here you will find everything you need.Go to the catfish Publiction fourm and find what you need to know.Then ask a few questions about what your looking for.in the catfishing fourm.you find what you need.These guys and gals are more then happy to help out a brother.
    smokey

9. saltfisher420

saltfisher420 New Member

State:
    Florida
    I appreciate all the replies!! Thanks!
    Just outta curiosity, how do I "thank" someone for their posts? I have seen a few people who have done this and would like to be able to do the same. Also I think that I am going to go searching for some of those Skipjacks that everyone keeps telling me about. Does anyone have any advice on rigs or where to find them in the Knoxville area??

10. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    you cant go wrong with a white grub. Date Time (Central) Generators
    4/3/2009 5pm - midnight 4 or more
    4/4/2009 midnight - 1am 4 or more
    1am - 5am 3
    5am - 1pm 4 or more
    1pm - 4pm 3
    4pm - midnight 4 or more

times when they run generators at Pickwick sat 4/4/09
    I have always done better when they run the more gemerators. Good luck.
    smokey

11. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    OOPs sorry you will be at the other end of the Great State of Tennessee .
    smokey

12. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC Lewis. You'll become a better fisherman with the things you can learn on here and may meet a new fishing buddy on two.

13. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lewis Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. Check out the BOC Library when you get the time. Lots of fishing info to be found.:0a22::0a25:

14. sleazyj187

sleazyj187 New Member

State:
    montana
    i use a Sabiki rig, you can pick one up at just about any bass pro shop, or you can go online to www.bassproshop.com you should be able to find it there, they work very well, good luck

15. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    I'll give you a bit of advice that everyone knows... except the newbies.

It's real inside track kind of stuff.

When your new you want all the tackle and location info and times and such.

The #1 thing you really really have got to have ....

Time on the Water!!!!!

The more time you spend out there, the more you will realise what works and doesn't and the more you will be able to bring focused questions to the BOC. It's the main thing that seperates the consistent fisherman from the hobbie fisherman. Don't forget to have fun but be out there as much as you can.

16. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    Welcome to the BOC!

17. kaous

kaous New Member

State:
    TN
    welcome to the BOC man. you've joined a great community of fisherman. these people will turn u in the right direction and are willing to help out a fellow fisherman. gl out there man and have fun.:wink:

18. jworm

jworm New Member

State:
    TN
    hey i fish with east tn cats. i use shad for bait and baitfeeder systems on my reel. i use 50 braid and ande 60 flrow on the leader. use a 2 or 3 ounce egg sinker let them run but if they drop it wait dont try to see if there becauce there not but they will b2 back. we have a tournment may 9 below loudon come see the weigh in at 3.00 pm

19. saltfisher420

saltfisher420 New Member

State:
    Florida
    So do you have any more info about that tournament out of Louden? We just got a boat and might want to check it out.

Thanks!

20. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    That is so true. Take that desire you have for catfishing and run with it.

Sounds like your already doing pretty darn good as it is. Keep up the good work!