Can u clear things up for me? about kahle hooks.

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by whiskerchaser, Jul 31, 2006.

1. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Ok Is there any advantage of using a kahle hook? My mom just bought me some off of ebay from tim hagan she also bought danny king blood qt. and some treble hooks. But how do u use kahle hooks?

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    You have got the best of both worlds, You can set them or you can let the fish set it. They work like circle hooks and "J" hooks, at the same time. You cannot set circle hooks, the fish has to do it. "J" hooks are sometimes...shall we say...hard to get a good hookset.
    These are the only hooks I use and I have had more success with them than any other hook, I have tryed them all.

3. whiskerchaser

whiskerchaser Member

State:
    New Mexico
    Thanks I bought some 4/0 is that big enough for channel cats? like all sizes.

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Should be fine for channel cats!!!
    I use, 7/0 and 10/0 myself!!!

5. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Yes, I too like the Khales the best, then circles, etc. etc. And of course the best of two worlds.

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I use kahles all the time.

For channels (1 to about 7 pounds), I mostly use 2/0.

For blues with good size (but not huge) cutbait, I usually use the 5/0. I have taken blues to over 80 pounds with no trouble with the hooks.

For flatheads (including 50 pounds plus), I use 3/0 to 5/0.

Remember, it's more important to match your hook size to the bait than to the size fish you hope to catch. A small hook will land a big fish IF your tackle is balanced. If you put a 1/0 hook on 50 pound test and then try to horse in a good fish (anything over 10 pounds) with the drag clamped down, then it will straighten the hook - any style.

Kahles work great fished like a circle - put the rod in the holder with the reel in gear (if your rod holders are strong enough to take it). The fish will hook themselves most of the time. The only fish that have trouble are the real babies. They just don't seem to have the mass to drive the hook home. You will also miss some light biters (like when channels pick up a live bait).

If you are going to set the hook yourslef with kahles - and you can do this just fine - just make sure you have good tension to the fish. If you try to slam the hook home at the first nibble, you'll just snatch it out of their mouth. But then, that's pretty much true of any hook.

7. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    You well love the hooks that why i sale them they are the best all around hook out there. i use them on my guide service all the time for cats both blues and channel. They are a great cut bait hooks if and the terblu hooks just load them up with DK and enjoy some great catfishin.

8. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I was using a Kahle type hook when I caught the catfish I caught and he just hooked hisself. I like them a lot. I dont use anythang but Circles and Kahle any more.

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Kahles are great hooks!! You can set em or they can set themselves. All I use.

10. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I use mostly Circle hooks. I'd say over 80%, but my next choice is a kahle hook. They are great for cut bait. Even thought I prefer circles Kahle's are a close second and still a great choice for catfishing.

11. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I love them both. I probably use the kahles more than circles, depending on how I'm fishing. When drifting the lakes with live or whole bait, I prefer kahles, but in the rivers, anchored and fishing heavy cover, the circles hang up much less often. I don't use a lot of j-hooks, except when fishing nightcrawlers for channels or bullheads.

12. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Haught;
    Howdy!:smile2:
    James, your hooks are just fine for what you intend to use them for. Like J.W./Dreadnaught I lean toward the 7/0 to 10/0 sized Kahle's myself but I am seeking something totally different than what your wanting to do.
    In all honesty and within limits, for most catfish I don't think the problem will be too large a hook. Just look at how BIG even a smaller "Kat's" mouth is and you will see what I mean.:smile2:
    Catfish are a predatory fish and every single one of them that I have seen will take a "bait" anytime they, the catfish, think it will fit in their mouths! And sometimes they overrate their mouths too!Kind of like a few humans I know of too! :roll_eyes: :lol:
    Personally, I've tried "Circle" hooks and I am one of those folks that just are not skilled enough to make them work properly 100% of the time so I tend to stay with the Kahle types and in the larger sizes too, but that is works for me.
    Perhaps one of the Brother's or Sister's that see this post are able to use Circle hooks really well and will send you a Post or PM on how to use them correctly. I've tried and just can't get them to work reliably for me. That is why, like J.W./Dreadnaught, I stay with the Kahle's.
    However, having said that, I think you should try a couple of Circle Hooks along with different sized hooks of the Kahle and other styles and find out for yourself what works Best for YOU. :smile2: Your fishing style, your equipment, your location, experience, ect, all play into your choice of hook. It makes no difference what "I" or Dreadnaught, or anyone else uses that work for each of us, You have to find out what Works Best For YOU!
    O.K., I'm keeping this one short!:big_smile:
    Hope this helps some.
    Fraternally and Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

13. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    Thanks for the info guys, as a child I was told that you had to set the Kahle just like with the j hook, and I missed alot of fish. I will put the info to good use.

14. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    As Coyote1 said, maybe a circle hook expert will interject, but my experience says: Using circles requires patience and restraint, to keep one from grabbing that rod and setting the hook. Wait until the rod is pulled down hard and then pick it up and start reeling. I give a short tug after I start reeling to insure good hook penetration, but that's not always necessary with good quality hooks.
    Another factor is the rod itself; a stiff rod tip seems to cause the fish to drop the bait sometimes. I like a MH or medium action rod with a flexible tip that allows the rod to load up gradually as the fish starts to swim off with the bait. A stiff tip may allow the fish to feel the resistance sooner and drop the bait before the hook does it's job.
    Monofilament has stretch where braided does not, and that may be a factor also. I use braided, but I use a mono shock leader to allow a little stretch, in addition to abrasion resistance. Combined with a stiff rod tip, the braid alone seems to cause a reduction in hook-ups.
    Look for quality hooks with a sufficiently wide gap to allow the hook to work properlly on the size fish you are targeting. All circles are not the same.

15. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    You will love the kahle hooks. I use the 7/0 nickle plated kahle the most but keep 5/0 - 10/0 in the box. You will also love the dk's punch bait. Good luck Brother.

16. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I mostly fish circle hooks but I did pick up some 7/0 kahles the other day and am looking forward to trying them out.