can u be our speaker at odnr meeting sep 10,9:00 am in col?

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishfearme, Jul 8, 2009.

1. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    can you be the person to give all the time to this, sort out what the stuff the majority of the members want to be herd at the meeting,post it and let us know what,and how ur going to go about it at the meeting. just let us see on this tread that you would like to be the one that dose the speaking for all your brothers and sisters:cool2: and just to let you know, you wont be the only one standing there, as you speak, i for one will stand in support of you, and your words, yes the pay sucks b/c there is nt any lol, but the respect you will earn will be high, and the satisfaction you will feel that you are the front person of a grass roots movement to make catfishing just as strong,and respectable as bass fishing.please let us know if your able to be the one. after we get some folks that are willing to be the speaker, we need to make a thread,and list all there names, and vote on them, for 1 week we can have it open for voting,( only ) do to space, then at the end of that week on the same tread post who it will be that way all can see how many votes ol bubba got lol. we need to act fast on this so the lucky speker can get to work.this tread will be open for the willing, and volunteering speaker.for 1 week as of 7/9/09.:big_smile:

2. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Throw my name in the hat. I'd be glad to speak on behalf of the group. I've got plenty of experience speaking to groups of people (sales & product seminars etc) and i'm definitely interested in voicing our concerns about this great sport and hopefully getting some things done about them.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I vote for Garret!

He seems to have a level head, and wont blow his cork!:big_smile:

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What ever happens we cant let s-man "skip" do the talking..I do believe the lad would tell them to get off there a$$ and do something, and that bass are just good for bait!

But if Garret cant get through to them, I say we sick Skip on them!:smile2:

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    This is a GREAT idea! I would like to nominate one of our own.
    "Retired to Fish" (thats Garry to the rest of you). He was a game warden for most of his life. And he still has ties to the management structure in this state. And from all accounts, He is a stand up guy. I really think he could bridge the gap between us and the DNR. That all depends on if he believes in the same things we do.

If we are going to do this we need to come up with a list of reccomendations. Pick a spokesperson, Submit proposals, and then vote on the best one. Then turn it all over to the spokesperson.

If any of you have a better person to lead please post here.

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Garret is doing some behind the scenes work on this right now, and I thank him greatly for his efforts,,Speaker or not, he is going to supply some good information.

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I really don't want to sound like a dick, but I hate the whole facade of "behind the scenes". That sounds like super secret government ideas designed to screw all us taxpayers. IE... Lets figure this out ourselves, design a policy to screw the public then vote it into law without giving them a chance to comment on it. Because if they had a chance to review it they would see how bad we are screwing them and rip us a new one, and none of us would get re-elected.

If you have proposals, put them forth here, so "WE" the intended recipients, can let the powers that be know if we agree or not.

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh

i second retired also...

i would like to,but i don't think they would like my f**k this,f**k that reasoning.

9. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    If anything ask retired2fish on what is needed, he can at least get it started in the right way. Im sure Garrett would and can do a fine job but if your going in there half cocked you will end up looking like Skip :smile2:

10. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    I think the preparation for something like this would take those two people and maybe more to stay in constant comunication with each other so that we are all going to be on the same page with on another. It's going to be too much work for just one person to put all the facts and concerns into some type of presentation. And since we may have quite a bit of things to cover it wouldn't hurt to have two members speak on our behalf.

11. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Thanks for the vote of confidence guys ... Yes there is a proper decorum that should be followed at thess meetings. Although you may not see it from some of the speakers, that will be there. In most cases the speaker will probably have about 5 mins. to speak ... so you must have each and every point outlined with the info you are transmitting to them.

Another important consideration is dress code; dress for business (the speaker) and the rest,do not dress like you just got back from a weekend on the river. Hats off inside. Don't be argumentative. It won't get you any ground it may cost you ground.

Try and be realistic in what you are asking for. If what you are asking for is a new rule to be passed, in most cases this will require the DOW to study it and do their own research. You may think this is silly, but in most cases they are bound by law to do so And will probably take 2 years to be put into affect.

I have heard speakers at similar meetings ... DEMAND ... that this or that be done .... More properly we would ASK or ENCOURAGE that it be done.

That should be enough to start to swallow ... might put some more up here later ....

Garry-

12. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    You brought up a good .point ... but not the way you meant it .... Keep your list of concerns and request short ... if you have more than 4 or 5 items ... they may not have time and they may just ignore everything. If you have more than 4 or 5 transmit a letter or a volume to DOW where they can handle the concerns more easily.

Pick out the things that are really important ... Another thing is if you are going to have someone representing the BOC members ... they will probably allow you only one speaker ... unless no one else shows up.

Garry-

13. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    I think you need to think about your agenda real careful. If as a group you decide to go there and try to outlaw legal means of fishing, limb lines and jugs, then there will be some of us in the audience speaking against you. It doesn't look good if people from the same group can't get along and agree on what's being proposed. If you are going there to seek more strict limits, both size and numbers, and better enforcement of laws already on the books, I think you would do better.
    I think that lack of interest of enforcing the current laws should be one of the main items to be brought up.
    Maybe consideration of a new tax on pay lakes to fund enforcement officers to monitor pay lakes and require all fish in pay lakes to be tagged to help enforcement. Check to make sure all paperwork required by law is present and displayed at pay lakes, all businesses in Ohio are required to display certain documents.
    Don't send contradictory messages, wanting to increase the number of rods allowed while trying to outlaw someone elses way of fishing. Sounds kinda hypocritical to me.
    I would like to see a shorter length limit and a limit on numbers, both flats and channels. Why only 6 bass in a day and unlimited numbers of cats?
    For those in southern Ohio it seems the big problem is paylakes. For those in northern Ohio it is numbers and poachers (illegal mexicans).

14. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    You are correct Joe .... What ever you are asking for it must be in a POSITIVE way Not Negative ... and it must be realistic .... Garry-

15. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I would say that you are a part of a group of concerned fisherment not a part of a particular site, this way it is for the betterment of all fisherment not just the BOC.

16. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good point Gary. I also think we need a Hot Babe! from the sisterhood to present our articles. She would get and keep their attention for maybe 15 minutes or more! :big_smile::smile2:

17. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    One thing one must be very careful about is finding fault with or condemning law enforcement efforts. I can personally testify to this. If you say there isn't enough law enforcement being done in Muskingum county .... they might send in 8 to 10 officers for a week or weekend into that county and believe me, you might not like the results. They will cite everyone for every little thing. If you really look, most everyone doesn't fully comply with all of the laws everytime they go fishing. For example: leaving your rod and reels unattended. How far away from them can you be for them to be unattended; 5 ft, 10ft and for what amount of time.

I have seen a number of times when a group of officers were sent to a county and a lot of people that thought they were good sportsman got tickets, because they overlooked something they thought was silly.

Garry-

18. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Garry,you've made alot of very good points. Our agenda is to voice our concerns as clearly,concisely and professionally as possible in the time frame we're allowed . I certainly realize the importance of not being negative,critical or accusatory regarding those concerns. It's important that we be organized and that we emphazise that we're concerned about these issues and want to know what can be done about them as opposed to DEMANDING anything. I assure everyone here that if i'm chosen to speak at the meeting i'll adhere to these principals. Having said that Garry, if you want to represent us at the meeting you've got my vote based on your experience and knowledge about these matters. I'll be glad to help in any way i can. These issues are close to all of our hearts and i think it's very imporant we do the best job we possibly can at the meeting for the future of our great sport.

19. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    That's where most the times our voices are really never heard even by calling an odnr official when a major violation is occuring guess what no answer please leave a message. For the ones that have concerns in your area a great start is finding someone (If you don't already) that know's your local game warden an get introduced. During this time learn what he/she has to say about the problems that may be occuring in the area. Get inside his/her brain an then you may be able to understand their situation an maybe by luck also a personal cell phone number! Just never know it may work,,,
    I don't believe the laws are really that far off from being fair to all anyways. It's the violations of the law that is a major concern on my agenda. I'm for getting the guilty parties arrested an prosecuted, that's my take on it.

20. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    i think we need to let the person post his name on here, he is the one that knows if he has the time for all that needs to be done j i m o.:wink: