Can someone tell me what is wrong w/ my impeller

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Team Hold EM Hook, Jul 15, 2008.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I couldn't see anything wrong in the picture. The tips of the impeller is to point to the right when they are in a 12 o'clock position, as in your picture. The impeller is not centered in the water pump housing as it would be if you installed the housing, then the impeller. Of course, your impeller may have dry rot, or cuts/abrasions/worn spots - if there is anything wrong with it in the first place. What specific problem do you think you were having?

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya other than some kind of calcium or dirt on gasket nothing looks out of the ordanary. was it not pumping??? or pumping as well as it did?

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Are you refering to the three tines. Thats not unusual for todays design on the later model rudes and johnsons.

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    didnt even relize that. most ive delt with had 6 or so.:eek:oooh:

5. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    When idling it will sometimes stop picking up water, then you have to rev it up to make it start pumping, if you are backing up alowly it will also use its prime, and the 3rd fin is not bent now here near like the others. I just put this in 2-3 months ago as well
    Thanks

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I wonder if it is all ready worn out. Did you replace the water pump housing at the same time? I also noticed my manual said to place a coat of light oil in the housing... guess that is to keep excessive wear from happening while your assembling the unit. But, if it did quit pumping, I think I'd take the little bit of safety offered and replace both housing and impeller. If you run the motor without any water, just for a few seconds, that impeller really heats up. Think about it... that thing is going to go around without any type of lubricant. It is going to wear and wear fast. That's why someone invented those muff things, but you can't run the motor above fast idle without the same thing happening.

7. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I totally agree replace.You can buy the kits from e-bay.There is a forum on this sight that will take you step by step and it really is simple to do this yourself. PS That is a strange looking impeller.

8. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    It looks to be to small of impeller to me, just my two cents worth.

9. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
  10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    When an impeller is turning it will flex at the odd angle that it appears to in the picture. That impeller is the same type used in the 70 h/p range and if its loosing its prime then it will need the wear plate and the stainless cup replaced right along with the impeller. Get me the model number I may have a new one myself. There are easier places to buy one other then e-bay.
    Never dry start a motor as it will disintegrate the impeller in about 20 seconds.

11. Team Hold EM Hook

State:
    al
    The bowl it sits in and the plate were replaced when the imp. was

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Is this on a three cylinder motor. If its loosing its prime then it has either got to to be the pump or its gathering air bubbles in the top of the water jacket and trapping the water and not letting it circulate. Get me a model number on this.

13. Team Hold EM Hook

State:
    al
    2 cylinder
    The model # is strange, E50ESLEUS, when you look on evinrudes' site there is no exact match for this number. I have ordered a new housing, bowl, plate, and impeller for it. What kind of lubricant do you put on the impeller, and also do you put it all over the IMP
    Thanks

14. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Just lube the inside of the cup with dishwashing liquid before putting the cup over the impeller. Then never start it with out water running in it or on the muffs.

15. Team Hold EM Hook

State:
    al
    Won't the dishwashing soap wash out after the 1st time its cranked? I thought there was supposed to be an oil or grease on it that will continue to somewhat lubricate it

16. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    It will, but it will lube it for that first start when everything is dry. Kind of like when you re-assemble a motor and use lubricant on the bearings. It washes off, but it provides lube for that first start.

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    You surmerg it in water or put the muffs on and the water becomes your lube then. The dishwashing liquid is to help ease the impeller into the cup and there is no kind of permenant lube for an impeller that I have ever came in contact with.