Can someone explain "Gutpocket" bait

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by Team Hold EM Hook, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Team Hold EM Hook

Team Hold EM Hook New Member

State:
    al
    to this here georgia boy
    Thanks

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    just imagine a fish, such as a bass or shad...whatever type you prefer it to be. If you cut it in half, normally you'll have a head piece and a tail piece. The gut pocket is the entrails = and depending upon how cut, it may be a part of the tail, it may be a part of the head, or it may be a separate wedge cut from the fish with just the entrail, or the guts.

3. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Cut the tail off, cut the head off, and what you have left is a piece of bait with the 'gut pocket in it. Now thats a good piece of bait,but I like the heads too, actually the head is my favorite piece and I try to nab 'em before anybody else gets them!:smile2:

4. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    When twist the head of a fresh gizzard shad it exposes a gizzard and if you take index finger and scoop out entrails all i one bunch that is the gut pack the gizzard is kinda cube shaped.

5. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc good tips in boc lib check it out:wink:

6. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    how do youhook your skip heads? i usually hook them in the eyes..

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    In one nostril and out the other. Pretty secure that way and won't pull out easily like the eye sockets. Just work it in slowly so you don't tear a big hole. Theres a pretty tough 'bridge' of cartilage over the nostril that is suprisingly strong. Plus you have LOTS of hook exposed to catch that Cat!

8. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Darryl on this. The heads are my first choice . They have performed well for me.

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I learned quite a bit this past week on the James and these are some of the observations I made and will use thanks to Captain Hugh.

Out of a big shad I get 4 pieces of bait. The head I hook at the bottom right where it is cut. The is a little V there that is THE TOUGHEST part. I was throwin bait as hard as I could and it never came off.

I filleted the sides leaving the ribs intact. The sides were boneless. I hooked the corner and rolled the bait flesh side out to create a large bait that looked like a donut. Make sure you leave the hook completely exposed.

The remainder, being the largest piece of bait is the spine ribs and Guts. Again I hook that piece in the V in the belly right by where you cut the head off. That's what I caught the fish in my avatar on.

I scale the bait for scent and discard the tail.

Good Luck,

Shawn(OHIO)

10. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    THis is some great information for us newbie's.

11. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Now ya got heads and ya got tails. There is nothing wrong with a piece of tail.
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:

The guts are in between.

12. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Correct, but the piece of tail is mine. I'm not givin any of MY tail to no fish lol!

13. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The way I cut a skip for bait, First I scale the skip, then I cut from the anal fin up to the spine and over to the back of the head and cut straight down to the bottom of the gills (this give you a perfect gut-pocket that is enclosed, except for the ends) then I cut the head off, then I can fillet the remaining meat off the sides (above where the gut pocket was cut from)that gives me 4 baits. I throw the tail away. You can also just "steak one out, with about 1" steaks and then you have steaks and a head section. I used to do this, but you loose the guts real quick in your little steaks.:wink:

14. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    after 20 years of fishing with the same guys ....no names.....they still havent figured it out i cut the bait and give everyone first choice..... no one wants the big ole narly heads..... that i did on purpose,.....year around a big ole head at the end of my rod !!!!!!

15. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    if you ever fish one of rbtt tournaments, ask about it its my favorite,hook a 10 to 14 inck mooneye through the lips ease it out and wait...there aint nothing like a big live bait ,it will sit there and tug with all its might but it can also sense that it is a sitting duck and can tell that a big ole cat is in close to him ,live bait can tell you you are getting to get a bite before the bite!

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    When I'm cutting up a shad or skipjack for bait, the tail is the piece I least want to use. Unless I'm running low on bait, I don't use them.

17. Mizzbigcat

Mizzbigcat New Member

State:
    Warren County Ohio
    Never heard the term before but it sounds like the bait I use.

I catch a bluegill,3-5 inches, stomp on it or squeeze it till the guts pop out...from you know where, lol. The flatheads tear that stuff up!

18. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Sweetie, they might tear it up more if you kept them bluegills alive and sassy. :wink:

19. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    HOW DO I SIGN MY OLE LADY UP FOR YOUR BAIT HOOKIN SCHOOL......LOL
    :smile2:

20. stump jumper

stump jumper New Member

State:
    illinois
    IM SENDING NIKKI TO A OHIO FISHING SCHOOL:big_smile: