Can somebody explain The Nextel chase for the cup points system.

Discussion in 'Wolfman's Nascar Pit Stop' started by Fatkat, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I don't understand how the chase 4 the cup works. After the race in California there was 209 points between 1st and 2nd place and 641 between 1st and 10th. Then 1 week later after Richmond and the start of the race for the cup there was only 5 points between 1st and 2nd and only 45 points between 1st and 10th places. If this is how it works how can this b fair 4 the 1st place driver? Also if ur n 11th place and do very well the last 10 races and the 10th place driver does really bad the last ten races he finishes no worst then 10th place and the 11th place driver can finish no better than 11th, I may not be a smart man but how is that fair? :confused:

2. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    I don't think that NASCAR cares about fairness when it comes to the Nextel Cup. They are just trying to attract more fans. If the second place car is 200 points behind the leader, not as many people will watch. The new points system has made it more competitive. More people will watch if their favorite driver starts out 5 points out of the lead, than if he was 200 points. And the fact that it could now be any of the 10 driver's championship.

3. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Thanks 4 the input, I understand better now, I geuss its more about ratings than RACING. :cursing: Its still hard to take since I'm a big Toni Stewart fan. LOL

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Forgottenhart is correct, now with all the races being televised and sponserships involved, Nascar is trying to make the series more of a drama and suspense scenario for the fans. The fairness plays out in the 1st 26 races. If a driver cannot put himself in the top ten or within 400 points of the leader after 26 races, then you have to ask, should he have a chance at the championship? Or should he have raced harder in those 26 races? If all the teams, drivers were equal and each had the same amount of good and bad luck, they all could be in the chase for the cup if the 43rd driver was within 400 points of 1st place.

5. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I didn't know that about the 400 point spread, I thought it was just about the top 10, that makes a little more since.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    in two words. "it sucks" lol.

7. quadman

quadman New Member

State:
    Danville, Virginia
    I have to agree about the chase, I wish they would chase it away! I think it sucks as well!

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    the only two races this year i missed are the last two. not much to watch now. although my prospect edwards is in it.

9. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    :cursing: yea I agree "it sucks" Tony was over 200 points ahead of eveyone else 4 or 5 races ago before the "chase for the cup" now after 1 race not in the top 10 and now he's in 5th place, wow they do that for the fans to make it more interesting, I'm so mad I don't even want to watch anymore.( but I will I can't help it). lol