Can somebody explain the logic

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by 1gr8bldr, May 22, 2020 at 8:41 PM.

1. 1gr8bldr

1gr8bldr Active Member

State:
    north carolina
    Name:
    Marty
    Now days, I see it where someone catches a big fish with intentions of releasing it.... yet claim they put it in the livewell to recuperate??? I don't understand this logic. I have no problem with it if you want to enjoy the moment as long as possible, but I don't buy into this new fad of recuperation.

ramon06, Flat Top and Nuclear Bill like this.
  2. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Maybe if you had a 80 or 100 gallon live well with a serious O2 system?
    I think getting the fish back in the water is the best thing, but since I don't have an 80 gallon live well with an O2 system I really have no idea

Welder, Bobp, ramon06 and 4 others like this.

3. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    That is all I can think of also. Some of the big live wells are adding oxygen to the water along with chemicals to relax the fish and help heal any abrasions.

I don't have that or a live well for that matter so I just get them back into the water as quickly as I can.

Welder, ramon06, Flat Top and 4 others like this.
  4. mooseman75

mooseman75 Well-Known Member

State:
    Utah
    Name:
    Justin
    I with the others, I don't have a live well so the purpose of what your asking is beyond me. If I am getting measurements and photo of the fish for the contest I'm in back here in Utah then I'll hold the fish in the water like Jeremy Wade does with those big catches and gently get the fish swimming before releasing to ensure they have strength. But I try to keep them out of the water very minimally. Get the hook out snap a pic and splash is about it.

Welder, Ammo, ramon06 and 5 others like this.
  5. Thunder head

Thunder head Well-Known Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Steven
    Unless there sticking it in there before they take picks or video. I dont see the point.

Even then. I dont buy, putting it the livewell only to drag it back out in 10 minutes later. Is good for the fish.

6. 1gr8bldr

1gr8bldr Active Member

State:
    north carolina
    Name:
    Marty
    And, usually, nobody rides around with a livewell full. They catch the fish...get the hook out, weight, pics.... and then have to leave the fish in wait for it to fill up. I think it's more about pics but they don't want to admit it. But that's perfectly fine in my book. Just say it like it is, "were going to put him in the livewell while we clean up the boat for pics"

Welder, ramon06 and Flat Top like this.
  7. Flat Top

Flat Top Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    George
    I bank fish, so of course I dont tote a 50/100 gallon live well around with me. When I catch a fish I make the decision whether to keep or release the second the fish is at the bank/water line. If its a keeper (for the dinner table only) it goes into a submersible creel (I use an IKEA nylon mesh laundry basket), and if not (too big or too small) it is unhooked (I use barbless hooks which makes it easy), and it swims away. Easy on the fish and easy on me.

Like most here I see no good purpose in removing a fish from the water....putting it in a live well, only to remove it from the live well to return it to the water. Also, water temps affect the fish, so removing the fish from its water temperature environment to a live well water temp environment that may be too warm or too cool cant do the fish much good as well.

According to the Missouri Department of Conservation a fish should be out of its "environment" a little as possible, and should be handled as little as possible when caught... if the fish is to be released.

Welder, mooseman75 and ramon06 like this.
  8. dpabrams

dpabrams Well-Known Member

State:
    WY
    Name:
    dpabrams
    Personally, I don't keep a cat or a walleye over 2 1/2 pounds, period, end of story. One over 27" might get a picture and weighed or measured. I don't like to tell anyone what to do with their catch but I recently left a couple Facebook groups because of all the "kill shot" photos. The world is full of 2-3 pound eaters but a giant fish is a rare thing. I don't care for limb or trot lines either but who am I to tell another man what to do with his catch?

9. CaptainBrad

CaptainBrad Well-Known Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Name:
    Brad
    In my not so humble opinion it is to stroke their egos looking for the big "grand release" photo at the end of a trip. I could all out some so called "big names" that do this too. I believe they do much more damage in stress by dragging that fish around in their livewell even if it is 100 gallon and equipped with o2.

If you are a true CPR angler you will let those fish back ASAP.

10. dpabrams

dpabrams Well-Known Member

State:
    WY
    Name:
    dpabrams
    I have a 19 gallon, aerated " Deadwell" as we call em. Used mostly for crawdads and minnows.

Welder, Herbhome, mooseman75 and 2 others like this.
  11. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    guess the next question is where are you seeing this. I read everything on here and don't recall seeing where anyone is doing this. Now for tournaments, yes they do this but that is the only purpose I know of. Again, where did you hear this?

12. 1gr8bldr

1gr8bldr Active Member

State:
    north carolina
    Name:
    Marty
    If I come across them today, I'll PM you... because I don't want to make it personal. But I have seen it much with trophy fish lately as if it's the new normal. But.... trophy fish are just that. Trophy's, therefore I understand the why. Maybe they get negative feedback from showing pics at the ramp, obvious that they have held it only to be released. So, justification takes on a new purpose. And.... I do it.... have even hauled them in the livewell to the local hangout... and release after pics. But I don't try to justify it by calling it recuperation.

13. 1gr8bldr

1gr8bldr Active Member

State:
    north carolina
    Name:
    Marty
    I sent you one, that I saw yesterday, that spurred me to ask this question. But the question arises from seeing it many times recently. But I can't recall where.... or if it may be the same guys different fish, which is possible, but I'm thinking not because i think I have seen it 5 or 6 times since I started back fishing

14. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I don't know the reason thy are putting a big cat in the live well to release later other than what I mentioned earlier. Some of the better setup live wells have oxygen added and chemicals added to help the fish get over the stress of a long fight.

If that is what their thought is I can understand their thinking. If you put them back in the river they will be released in about a minute. If they have a good setup they may be better because of it.

If it were being held to see if it were a record, I can understand that also.

Fishermen have choices and this was their choice.

15. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    That video was posted today on the Rambling thread by Mac.

16. 1gr8bldr

1gr8bldr Active Member

State:
    north carolina
    Name:
    Marty
    We once caught a 65lb flathead. We had a huge cooler set up to transport/keep fish. With areation. I don't know the size, but so big it would hardly fit in the truck cab if we decided not to take it. We had a local hangout of fishermen, where we ate breakfast and told fish stories. We took our fish, showed him off, and returned to the river. Water was extremely clear that day. We released him, but he went straight under the dock, into the shade. And would not come out to go to deeper water. We kept trying to push him out with sticks. Eventually we got him far enough out that we thought no one would see him. He was about 4+ feet deep. Laying content on the bottom. No signs of air in his belly. Looking healthy. We went back to get our breakfast. Soon, someone enters the dinner all excited talking about catching this big flathead off the river dock. LOL, we knew what happened. We went down there to see him tied up. We told them they did not catch it but snagged it of which they then admitted to. You should have seen their jaws drop when my fishing buddy went over and unhooked him from the rope and sent the fish on his way. LOL, he took off that time. I did not know he was going to do that. It was a bit tense there for a minute. 4 against 2 but they never said a word

Welder, Nuclear Bill and Flat Top like this.
  17. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I am am getting confused now on WHO was doing wrong.

Welder and Flat Top like this.
  18. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Name:
    Ramon
    I know a well known guide on Facebook that does this. Keeps about 10-20 flatties in the live well they catch all night long just to take pictures in the a.m. or the end of the trip. Its disgusting

Welder, Flat Top and Nuclear Bill like this.
  19. 1gr8bldr

1gr8bldr Active Member

State:
    north carolina
    Name:
    Marty
    My initial point is that they are not doing it for the reason they claim. Which I have no problem. I asked thinking if it had merit, someone might explain. But I'm not expecting it. The 65lb fish story is from 20 years ago, yet no different than a tournament these days . so, no wrong on anybody's part.... except maybe snagging.... or turning loose a fish that someone claimed

Welder and Flat Top like this.
  20. 1gr8bldr

1gr8bldr Active Member

State:
    north carolina
    Name:
    Marty
    LOL, my injury to my leg is getting better. Today's my best day yet for being able to walk again. Yesterday I was barely able. I'll be glad to get back to normal. And these random weird post will be replaced with actual fishing

poisonpits, Herbhome and Flat Top like this.