can i use live bullheads as catfish bait?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by whines83, May 6, 2008.

1. whines83

whines83 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    could someone please tell me if i can use bullheads/bluegills/breams as flathead bait..

i dont wanna break the law or get fined for using something illegal..l:cool2:

i have access to 2 ponds that are over run with bullheads i can catch them alll day using chicken livers..i figured i would atleast use em for something..

2. jerry9497

jerry9497 New Member

State:
    Tobaccoville NC
    if you legally catch it you can usr it for bait. bream and catfish just need to be caught by hook and line. if you catch crappie they must meet the 8-10 limit if there is one. I havnt tried bullhead but I'm sure something would eat it.

3. todobiennc

todobiennc New Member

State:
    nc
    I've heard bullheads are a prime prey of flatheads. Could be b/c they both hang out on the bottom.

4. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    You can use bullheads and can catch them many ways. see figure 1

You can use Bluegill/Bream as well. see figure 2

There is a creel limit on Sunfish in some places (regs. for warm water fish page 3). see figure 3

Attached Files:

5. Tubby Catfishin

Tubby Catfishin New Member

State:
    Ramseur, North Carolina
    Hey i gotta a question to add to this thread....... does the law of transferring fish from one body of water to another being illegal still apply when your using the said fish as bait? Say you catch 10 bullheads out of a farm pond and take em w/ you for bait to a public lake.....is it legal?

6. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    The rule states it is illegal to stock fish in public waters without a permit. Using a goldfish, bullhead, minnow, etc for bait......is not an act of stocking. But what if when you are done, you dump the rest in? That is stocking....so the best bet is to not worry about it. It is hair splitting that the NCWRC has neither the time or manpower to look after. Millions of pounds of fish are poached every year due in part to understaffing. Turning a few fish loose will always go unnoticed.

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Bullheads are very good bait for flatheads. . I would be careful how many people you tell about those ponds or you will get cleaned out quick. Just trim the spines off of those things and you are in the money. They will stay alive all night if you hook them through the mouth. Good luck and welcome to the BOC

8. whines83

whines83 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i called the wildlife agency and spoke to the keeper of the neuse river they both said this..

if caught on hook and line and under 30 creel including ones used as bait you can do whatever you want to with them.

if you were using a boat or tieing a line to a tree with a cable and hook. you will be fined.

also you can only use a rod an reel while using live bait.no nets/traps..

i called 4 different offices and a few of the bait shops....and i was right the bait shops dont know a thing about using bream or flatheads as bait..all they said was it was illegal.tells you how much they know right..:wink:

9. LONE STAR

LONE STAR New Member

State:
    Raleigh, NC
    Hell if I only had read this last weekend before I went out I could have possibly had fish in the live well instead of .........nothing.:big_smile: thanks to all for the great info.

10. cat'n around

cat'n around New Member

State:
    Vanceboro N.C.
    how and where do you look or go to catch bullheads?

11. Live Baiter

Live Baiter New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Just about any lake. Some people call them white cats.They are the one's that still your bait all the time.