Can I run my motor in saltwater?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by 69Charger, Jul 3, 2007.

1. 69Charger

69Charger New Member

State:
    Tx
    I just bought a boat with an 85 model 140 Johnson. I thought about taking it down south to use in the bay next month. My question is will the saltwater hurt my motor or is there any special precautions I need to take before and after?

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i run my motor in fresh and salt water, but there are certain things to do to it. i get the dealership to do most of the things like grease and stuff like that. but, there are some after market lubricants and saltresistant things you can add.... i just dont remember what they are. the biggest things that i do are flushing the motor out for twice as long as normal. i also clean and rinse the boat motor and trailer very well. im sure bubbakat could be a lot more helpful than me you should ask him. all in all i do run mine in salt water and have run several older models in salt water also.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The most thing that is forgotton on running in salt water and it was nailed in the upper post. Flush,flush.flush Did I say flush it out with clean clear water.

They make a product that is called salt away and it has proven itself over and over. Rince the outside of the motor and trailer and wipe the boat down after each use.
    Don't wait about doing this. Do it quickly because just as quick as that salt water hits dry air it starts is process.

4. 69Charger

69Charger New Member

State:
    Tx
    Many thanks gents, just what I was hoping to hear!

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Heavy rain or clear sunshine,I always flushed the motors and ran a sprinkler for a while in my boat with the hood off of my motors and "all" of my gear laid out.Then under my boat and trailer and under my truck to wash away the heavy salted mud and dirt that you pick up at boat ramps and around saltwater.I fished my outfit heavily year round and it did well stored in my yard uncovered 1 1/2 blocks from the ocean for the 7 1/2 years I lived on Tybee Island Georgia. I found that running my motors in swamps or any "black water" will help clean the calcium deposits that saltwater and some freshwater coats your water passages with.I guess it is the "Tannic acid" from the vegetation.I had a 8 HP.Mariner that had heavy deposits.I moved from saltwater and used it heavily in black water for a few years and it completely disappeared.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If your trailer isnt galvanized or aluminum dont do it.

7. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Glad you thought about the trailer.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. 69Charger

69Charger New Member

State:
    Tx
    No worries there, it's galvanized.

9. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Springs and anything scratched will rust.My galvanized trailer came with Cadmium plated bolts that rusted freely.I replaced them with Stainless Steel.I had to "Loke-Tite"the nuts on as SS lock washers didn;t hold from the vibration.I love you Brothers and Sisters,peewee

10. wirehead80

wirehead80 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I would look at getting some fresh Sacrificial Zinc Anodes. Make sure you have good contact with what ever metal part you attach them to as they need good contact to do any good.

11. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    First off.The best thing you can ever do for your vehicle,boat,motor,trailer fishing gear and tackle concerning saltwater is to talk a buddy into taking his rig and gear.Then leave yours at home.If you can not or will not do this then the rest of the advice on here is the next best thing you can do.Bronze or Brass alloyed shear pins of all types were used in older motors of all sizes.This is not good in saltwater as it will cause aluminum to corrode.If your year and model motor has a shear pin available for saltwater,use it in the saltwater and replace it as soon as you are back in fresh water.The saltwater shear pins use to be tougher to break and did not protect a aluminum prop or your gear train as well.Also grease all fittings on your motor and your prop assembly well. Every 3 months I used to remove,clean,inspect and replace the grease and anything else in the prop assembly as needed along with the zincs and bolts if needed.I always cleaned the zinc contact point on the motor with toothpaste and a toothbrush.Do not use a regular cheap steel or brass wire brush on the zinc or motor.You do not want the possibility of any tiny iron or brass particles embedded in your softer zinc between it and the motor or anywhere else on aluminum for that matter.If you have the type of zinc with the fin that offsets the motors rotational torque,be sure to mount it exactly as it was or it may affect your steering.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee