Can I pull a boat with my car?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by patrickgd, Nov 2, 2008.

1. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Lately I've been really wanting to get a boat but my main concern is that the only vehicle I have is 2007 Toyota Corolla. The towing capacity for the car says 1500. A boat I was looking at weighs 550, not sure about the trailer weight but I'd assume it would be around 500. Does anyone know if I would be able to "put in" with a car like this?

Thanks!

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Putting in is easy, taking back out can be different.

But I reckon you can get by with that rig.

3. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I agree with Lawrence. A "light" rig like described should be a cinch for the Toyota!
    Bill in SC

4. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Just as long as ya don't launch on some really steep launch ramps or some ramps with a steep and quick drop off on them you will probably be okay.

5. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Good advice, Kevin!
    Bill in SC

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Two items to also thank about is the tongue weight and if the springs and shocks of your car can handle that. Also the radiator system on your car if you will be pulling long trips. Does your car have an overdrive lockout? This would help with the transmission. Items to think about.

7. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    I pull my 1436 jonboat with a 2006 corolla with no problems. Doesn't even affect the gas mileage too bad either. Watching the RPM's while driving you won't notice much of a difference except going up a hill. The boat ramp I use is less then 5 miles from the house too though. Looks kinda funny while im in tow, but it gets me on the water so who cares.

8. MichaelP

MichaelP New Member

State:
    Arizona
    :smile2:Exactly.

9. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I would try it. May work better on slimy ramps than a rear wheel drive truck.

10. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    pat i know your not gonna try to launch in the river in that lil car becareful what kind of boat is it if its a small jon make sure its big enough 500 sounds lil have you ever boated before espeacially in the river

11. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Remember,safety should be #1. Always.

12. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I used a 89 chevy celebrity all year to pull my boat the 4 cylinder did great on gas and i never had trouble here is a picture of it , looks funny but did the job .

13. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Hey, If it gets you there and back,,, what more do you need??

It's not like we are glam boy Bass fishermen or something!!:wink::smile2::smile2::smile2::tounge_out:

14. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Dad used to pull our 12 foot aluminum boat with an '81 chevette. I dont remember the engine size, but it was a small carbeurated 4 banger. The only time we had a problem was when we tried to recover our boat on the loose dirt hill we used for a ramp, and that was a traction problem, not a power problem. For a 500 pound boat, i seriously doubt the trailer will weigh 500 pounds unless its REALLY overbuilt for its purpose. The trailer for my 1448 jon is only about 200 pounds. Like was mentioned, make sure the hitch is rated for what you're hauling, then lock out overdrive (either with a switch or manually selecting with the gear shift) and have fun. Should not be a problem with a small lightweight boat. With all the troubles i've had with my truck this year, and with 2 kids now, i've thought about getting a used car like that and wouldn't hesitate to pull my boat with it.

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I pulled a 19' deep vee with an 85 HP Evinrude from Ft. Eustis, VA to Antlers, Oklahoma many times with a 1971 Hornet. It pulled it great, but got a little fast coming down some of those hills in Tennessee. LOL. And to top it all off, I was moving so I had plants, aquarium s's etc in the boat. Good Lord sure takes care of fools, but the rig did handle the load.

16. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Richard, I have never done any boating so I plan to start out in safer waters and "graduate" eventually to the river. When/ if I get to that point I figured I'd "put-in" in McKellar Lake. Thanks for the concern.

17. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    maybe when you get ready to go down there call me and ill come down there and help you out till you get the hang of it

18. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    so ya'll say I should have the overdrive on? it goes shifts into 4th gear fine...

19. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Regardless of what I was pulling or what I was pulling with-If it has an auto transmission I would install a transmission cooler. $100 for a tranny cooler is cheap insurance. Fyi-I learned the hard way with a much heavier vehicle.

20. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    When you use a truck to pull a trailer, most trucks have a dedicated circuit in the fuse block for trailer lighting. It is no problem to wire your car for your trailer lights, but what I'm getting at is that if while you are pulling your boat and if there is any chafing of the wires taking place on your trailer that causes any shorts in the trailer lights, then the fuse that will blow will cause trailer lights, tail lights on your car, and probably your dash lights. There are probably several other options that could be effected as well (cruise control is one that comes to mind). On a truck with the dedicated circuit, the only thing that is effected is the trailer lights.

With that being said, I ocasionally pull my small boat with a Ford Taurus. Until quite recently, gas has been financially debilitating, forcing people to consider more fuel efficient vehicles to tow with so they can still enjoy their passions. I know I have!!