The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fishing a lot more this year than in the past years. Part of it due to pandemic, part of it because my son like to go with me. I have been keeping my rods, reels etc in the car for ease of storage. The car is parked in a garage that is not heated or insulated. In the past, my rod and reels are kept inside the house

Is there a concern that cold temperature may do some damage to rod or/and reel? At what temperature should I remove them from my car in the garage? I am in Kentucky so the weather changes a lot. Some days it maybe very cold (temp may go down to single digit in the middle of winter), but then we may have a warm spell in the 50s and 60s for a few days.

·
Administrator
10,647 Posts
I have never heard of it being a problem. The lubrication in the reel may stiffen up when really cold but again I have not heard of it being a problem. This should not cause harm to the reel or rod for that matter but it may not work as freely as you remember it.

·
Registered
Winston, Indiana
4,147 Posts
Coming at this from a different perspective,
I would be more concerned with my rods being stolen from the car at Walmart or such like.
If you’re able to put them inside when it gets cold enough to do potential damage, why not just keep them inside all the time unless you’re going fishing?

...W

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
Your reels have much fewer moving parts and are at much greater tolerances than the engine, transmission and differential in the car you have them stored in, both are going to experience heat expansion and cold contraction but I doubt it will cause damage to either. Like Catman suggested I loosen the drags and spool tensioner but I also loosen the reel seat collar, never had one lock up but I just always do it. Long way of saying, "I think you will be fine"

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Coming at this from a different perspective,
I would be more concerned with my rods being stolen from the car at Walmart or such like.
If you’re able to put them inside when it gets cold enough to do potential damage, why not just keep them inside all the time unless you’re going fishing?

...W
Because I am too lazy to take them inside the house then back into the car haha....

All kidding aside, we have two cars, and my old SUV is our second car that usually only driven when we do long trips. Thanks to the pandemic, we have not had any long trips or even go anywhere. We both work at home and the kid is doing his school at home, so both cars do not get driven much these days. Right now my car is only driven when I go fishing, so there is really no need to move my gear out of the car. I was just wondering if I maybe I can keep it in the car until spring. I can easily move them into the house so nbd.

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
1,903 Posts
My rods and reels are in my shop. Unheated unless working out there. Our temps will get to minus 20 at times. But, they dont get used till the three foot thick ice on water is gone.

·
Administrator
10,647 Posts
My rods and reels are in my shop. Unheated unless working out there. Our temps will get to minus 20 at times. But, they dont get used till the three foot thick ice on water is gone.
Bill, just think about how much you are saving on boat gas. Those poor, poor guys down south have to continually keep putting gas that their boats and drag their gear out on the water in those 50* temps to fish. I just can't see how they can keep doing it. lol

·
Registered
159 Posts
Dave houseman mentions something on this topic. In the cold the lub in the reels will ‘gum’ so what he does sometimes when it’s really cold is if he is bank fishing. Puts the heaters in his truck on high to warm up his reels before he casts.

·
Old Squeezer
21,506 Posts
BCT!!!
NO do not store them anywhere. If you are not using them just ship them to me [postage paid of course] and I will "take good care" and keep them active. I may even send you a few action shots in use.

Reactions: BCT

·
Registered
967 Posts
I live in North Dakota. When the season comes to an end the drags are backed off and the rods are stacked in the corner of the garage. We have temp swings from 30 down to -30 and back up with the brunt of winter not getting over freezing. I have no issue with leaving the gear in the garage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am fishing a lot more this year than in the past years. Part of it due to pandemic, part of it because my son like to go with me. I have been keeping my rods, reels etc in the car for ease of storage. The car is parked in a garage that is not heated or insulated. In the past, my rod and reels are kept inside the house

Is there a concern that cold temperature may do some damage to rod or/and reel? At what temperature should I remove them from my car in the garage? I am in Kentucky so the weather changes a lot. Some days it maybe very cold (temp may go down to single digit in the middle of winter), but then we may have a warm spell in the 50s and 60s for a few days.
Rods and reels- no. Heavy pound test line will get stiff in extreme cold temps. Just keep using them all winter and they should be okay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts