Can I give newbie's a TIP....

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by bellymeat, Jun 5, 2008.

1. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    when you get a hit on your rod in the rod holder..... let it sit for a minute or two... it seems so many people wanna set the hook (including my nephew).
    Either the cat will take it..... I like that a lot.... or will play with it...

If you are still getting a good hit, pick up the rod BUT KEEP THE ROD TIP in the same position... If you move it (the rod tip) it moves the BAIT. So gently pick up the rod keeping the rod tip in the same spot. THEN when you feel a good pull set the hook.

My nephew wonders why I catch more catfish than him. Aint no big secret its called experience.

HCF.....
    Ron

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    A man told me once, "they either got it in their mouth or they don't; they ain't got hands!!

3. captmarty

captmarty New Member

State:
    south carolina
    I LIKE THAT QUOTE! IT IS THE TRUTH THOUGH! I USED TO DO THAT ALL THE TIME! I WOULD TRY TO SET THE HOOK BUT NOT ANYMORE! :wink:

4. dumpyloser

dumpyloser New Member

State:
    South/North Carolina
    do blues, flats, and channels bite differently? At local lakes in Gaffney bites are hard to come by some times and you do have to set the hook or they will steal your bait. Every time I've ever been to Wylie, the pull your rod almost over... no playing around with your bait, they just take it! Why is it so different. is it different species or is it just the size difference, or the body of water? circle hooks definitely give me more confidence to let the rod sit there as the fish are biting it.

5. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I really depends on what type of bait you are using.... Maybe I should have made that a little more clear in my original post.

If you are using cutbait, livebait.... I let them mess with it until they take it. I will set my clicker on, cut the drag and let them have at it.

If I'm using night crawlers or stink bait. You only have a small window of time before the bait is gone. So you can sit their all day long waiting for something to take your bait, but chances are after a good bite your bait is gone. Thats why after a minute or so get ready to do SOMETHING if they are still fiddling with your bait.

AND if you are fishing with Kahle hooks then let them do their business. NO need to set the hook.

Hope this helps....
    Ron

6. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    how many times have you hooked a catfish under, over, or beside its mouth. They may not have hands but they do have a jaw that you can hook whether its in their mouth or not.

To each his (or her) own...

Ron

7. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC

Only cats of any size around Gaffney are channel cats unless you're at Perry's Lake.

Blue cat and Flathead will run like a freight train usually but thats at Wateree and Wylie.

8. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    All the blues I catch take off with it like a screamin freight train. There's no time to ponder whether or not you should set the hook.

Most of the flatheads we catch inhale the bait and slowly swim off with it. These bites are much more subtle and sometimes you'll hold the rod for several seconds before the fish finally pulls away. I don't think it really matters when you set the hook, however, because as soon as a flathead sucks it in the games over.

The only time we get the ole peck peck bite is with channels and small blues. If this is the case I just reel in and re cast and hope they'll leave my bait alone.

9. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Hey ron, great advice to the newbies, but have you ever tried using a circle hook? You dont have to set the hook and it sticks in the corner of the mouth almost every time. The goal of using a circle hook is to let the cat swallow the bait and swim off with it and when they do the hook pulls up out of there gut and sticks and then the fight is on...

10. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <The goal of using a circle hook is to let the cat swallow the bait and swim off with it and when they do the hook pulls up out of there gut and sticks and then the fight is on...>
    Nonsense... No need to elaborate. Well, I will elaborate some. You never want the cat to swallow the bait and pull there guts out. Nosireeee! Doesn't quite work that way, nor was the hook designed to be swallowed.
    <do blues, flats, and channels bite differently?>
    Yes, blues have a SAVAGE attack on bait, and do indeed run "like a freight train" as mentioned. Flatties WILL peck OCCASIONALLY before they do swim off with the bait. When they swim off with the bait, the rod "usually" eases down slowly, surely, and continuously. There are exceptions to any rules, but I can tell nine times out of ten whether it's a flattie or a blue on the end just by the way they have bitten.
    Bill in SC

11. mrwhiskr

mrwhiskr New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I use circle hooks. Let them hit and bend the rod. Never miss. Works for me.

Keep them hooks wet
    Mrwhiskr

12. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    Never used circle hook's, But going to try them at santee next week. Do you guy's think a 7/0 is the size I need.

13. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    7/0 Will do just fine.:wink: I think you'll like using Circle hooks. Don't give up on them and Good luck at Santee.

14. bellymeat

bellymeat New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    yeah I use them a lot salt water fishing. I fish mostly for reds, trout, blues, sheepheads, and sharks. If I'm fishing live or cut I always use them except for the sheepies.

What I'm talking about is when you are using worms, crickets, or stink bait.

You don't have enough time to let them take it. NOW sometimes they will but most of the cats I like to catch are in the 4 lb 10 lb range. And will sit there and nibble. Especially if its stink bait (my favorite bait).

I guess its kinda like catching a sheepshead. They will steal your bait in a minute and you will never know it. So what you have to do is put a finger on the line to feel their gentle nibble. And watch your line.

What brought this post on was I continue to see my nephew pick up his rod and sit back down while he's getting a bite. I keep telling him to keep his rod tip in the same place. Cause if you in the river and the current is kicking your baits going to move a great distance. But for him, I guess old habits are hard to break.

later....
    Ron

15. peglegreb

peglegreb New Member

State:
    s.c.
    just sit and wait till the rod goes down and pull.

16. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    <Nonsense... No need to elaborate. Well, I will elaborate some. You never want the cat to swallow the bait and pull there guts out. Nosireeee! Doesn't quite work that way, nor was the hook designed to be swallowed.>

Bill I think you misunderstood me. If you read my previous post I said that the circle hooks stick in the corner of the mouth almost everytime, not in the gut. The circle hook was designed so that when a fish swallows the bait and hook that there is no point protruding out to be able to gut hook a fish. It only hooks when the fish is swimming away from you and the hook wraps around the corner of the mouth from being pulled out of the throat or gut.
    Even the DNR recommends using circle hooks to prevent most gut hooks.

17. peglegreb

peglegreb New Member

State:
    s.c.
    like riverrat said grab it when you caint get it out the holder then hes hocked,a bad day fishing is better than a good at work

18. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    90% of the time I wait till that rod loads up, and my hook up rate is very high. The other 10% is me running to catch my rod on the way to the water cause they caught me taking a pee break......LOL

19. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Sorry jsthumb. I must have indeed misunderstand what you said.
    BB in SC

20. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    no problem bill just didnt want you or anyone else to think I was gut hooking fish for the fun of it. That would not be very sportsman like to kill a fish unless I plan I eating it.

Most of the time when I go fishing its catch and release, but I do try to keep a few pounds in the freezer just in case they are not biting.