Can I get some suggestions for a drifting problem Im having?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by buster1395, Apr 26, 2009.

1. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    Well I got a 25 ft Sweetwater pontoon with a 150 mercury on the back. I have tried several times to get the boat to drift long ways with the rods out the front but just cant get the boat to do it for nothing. I can put an 8' sock on each of the pontoons at the front and still the front end of the boat wants to sway around sideways on me. Just will not stay straight for nothing. The boat is very heavy especially in the rear and it sits very low in the water. The pontoons are almost under water completely in the rear and only out about 10" in the front. I've talked to the dealership about it sitting so low and uneven and they tell me the big Sweetwaters do this and I just have to deal with it or add the tritoon. Just about every other pontoon I see sits way more level in the water than mine does which in turn probably would help the front and rear drift more consistent with each other. Adding a 3rd pontoon would likely help this problem some too but I cant fork out another 4g on that right now. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

2. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    I have a 25 ft (2586 DF) sweetwater with 90 hp and mine is little low in back. Fairly level if have couple big adults in front. I use 2 ea 10 foot drift socks out the front and it drifts fairly straight. Suspect motor weight is part of your problem. When I got full tank of fuel (24 gal) and am fishing alone mine is noticeable higher in front. don't know if this is any help but it is way my boat is. Mine drifts to rear easy well enough to fish.

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Chris, I don't know if it will help in your case, but sometimes, turning the wheel one way or the other will help control the funny drift. Beyond that, I don't know of anything simple.

4. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Chris I have a 25ft Pontoon with a 150 on it also. I drift with 2 10' socks out the front and it will sway some especially when there is just a slight breeze. Like Tommy said you can conrol it some by sterring you motor from left or right.

5. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Chris my Sunbird drifts straight with one 10' sock out the back. This is how you can solve the problem. Give me your boat and I will give you mine!:wink::smile2::smile2:

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I'd just switch the socks to the sides and drift sideways, you will be able to cover a lot more water with drift rigs utilizing the full length of the boat. Thas the way we drifted with the old 24 ft. toon.
    Only other thing you could try would be to tie a rope on some kind of weight and drag it from the front of the boat to keep it straight. Would have to be heavy enough to turn the boat but light enough to drag along the bottom.

7. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    Yeah I do drift sideways and thats my personal preference in winds under 10mph because I can cover more ground and more rods out. However in the stiffer winds the boat rocks so much like that that I cant sleep at night I feel like Im still rocking when I lay down.

8. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Don't know much about drifting, or pontoons for that matter, but a 150 on a standard 2 tube pontoon sounds way overpowered to me??

As for solutions:
    I assume you have the motor trimmed up out of the water? If turning the wheel one way or the other side, like Tommy said, doesn't help, then try that.

The only other thing I could think of would be to work on the weight distribution and move all the heavy stuff that isn't nailed down (and maybe some things that are - like batteries) up to the front.

9. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Another thing to check is how far from the boat the socks are. If they arent far enough they dont work as good, but to far hurts it also. Maby try differnt distances.

10. JDWILLIS39

JDWILLIS39 New Member

State:
    NC
    :eek:oooh:Saturday my boat was drifting sideways (not bad but lines running off one side) with two 10 foot socks out and I did some thinking about it. Things I am going to check are length of ropes on each sock make sure they are the same. Check the water flow through the socks, make sure opening is the same. Adjusting the motor did help a little sometimes other times seemed to have no effect.
    One thing if the wind changed direction it took long time for the boat to come around to the new direction and get straight again. Just some more thoughts on the matter.
    See you on water.

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    It just doesnt sound right that the pontoons are just barely out of the water.Have you checked to make sure there isnt water in the tubes.I have fished on many toons and most drift well with the socks out the front.Use the motor to steer or trim it out of the water.

12. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    i have a 24' pontoon with a 85 merc and u toons 24 galllon tank and 3/4 flooring and a top that covers 3/4 the boat , that puppy is heavy :eek:oooh:, i drift off the back of mine, with one drift sock, and if there is no wind i can use the trolling motor off the front for speed control and if the wind is changing alot i can use the trolling motor to correct the boat quickly and this way the big motor helps create good drag and the lighter part of the boat is down wind as it goes through the water. i easily fish 6-7 rods off the back and i drop 2 off the front on each side one as a true down line not on bottom and 1 only out about 50' that way it don't mess the ones off the back . and it is amazing how many times i see a short strike on one of them and in 30 seconds one of the first rods on the back go down:smile2: