Can I get some suggestions for a drifting problem Im having?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by buster1395, Apr 26, 2009.

1. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    Well I got a 25 ft Sweetwater pontoon with a 150 mercury on the back. I have tried several times to get the boat to drift long ways with the rods out the front but just cant get the boat to do it for nothing. I can put an 8' sock on each of the pontoons at the front and still the front end of the boat wants to sway around sideways on me. Just will not stay straight for nothing. The boat is very heavy especially in the rear and it sits very low in the water. The pontoons are almost under water completely in the rear and only out about 10" in the front. I've talked to the dealership about it sitting so low and uneven and they tell me the big Sweetwaters do this and I just have to deal with it or add the tritoon. Just about every other pontoon I see sits way more level in the water than mine does which in turn probably would help the front and rear drift more consistent with each other. Adding a 3rd pontoon would likely help this problem some too but I cant fork out another 4g on that right now. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    the only thing i colud suggest is the old bucket trick. take a 5 gallon bucket pop a few holes in the bottom tie 1 off the front and 1 off the back almost touching the bottom .this may work

3. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I agree with Catoon. Try the buckets. That motor is going to put a lot ofweight on the back of the boat.

4. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    Have ya thought about trimming your motor up as high as possible to cut down on the drag of the motor? Also if the motor is still in the water I would turn the wheel away from the dirrection you're drifting and bungie it there and see if that helps - it might not - I would look at how to reduce drag on the back of the boat just as much as how to add drag to the front - every little bit helps - you may even just have to run your lines xtra far back and use the motor to controll the drift - you may have to adjust the rod holders also - have you ever just let the boat do it's thing and then tryed to adjust to that instead of trying to make it adjust to what you want to do?:confused2: JUST A THOUGHT

5. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    Thanks for your input I got a few things in mind I might still try but I've already tried most of these things like trimming the motor and adjusting my rod angles with the boat but the problem is that it never sways the same way. One minute the front of the boat is swayed 45 degrees right then it sways to the left the same way. Its just a constant struggle.

6. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    is it possable that you might have water in the toons? you can have those toons filled with foam it might help, adding a third toon on the front will only help with the front weight

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Take my mother-in -law fishing with ya. Make her sit up front, when your done just push her in for me.

-Jim-

8. team salmon

team salmon New Member

State:
    kansas
    LIKE ME - I BET A BUNCH OF YOU GUYS ARE THINKING THATS A HELL OF A GOOD IDEA (DON'T KNOW YOUR MOTHER IN LAW JIM) BUT ON THE 2ND TRIP YOU CAN HAVE MINE!!!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

9. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Chris have you tried putting the socks on the back off the boat and fishing from the rear? may help may not.

10. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    this question is probably asinine but are u drifting in a river or lake. drift socks wont work in current.

11. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I don't have a pontoon but I couldn't imagine trying to get my boat to drift backwards in a strait line. Most boats want to drift the same way they drive, bow first. Since the front of most boats have way less resistance than the back, even on pontoons. I use drift socks to keep mine sideways. The only way I could imagine keeping is strait backwards is maybe dragging a real light anchor. I bet it still sways a little side to side though. Is there any reason why you don't want to drift forward and fish out the back or drift sideways and fish off the side? Except that the front of the toon is real comfy :wink:.

12. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    With a toon you pretty much HAVE to drift from the rear of the boat. Trying to drift sideways is like pssing in the wind. It can be done but not worth the mess you have to deal with.
    Think, the back is heaviest part of boat, it will be hardest to move by the wind. This should be your furthest upwind part. to fish like this you will have to fish outta the back.
    Good luck,

13. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    Yeah I wouldnt mind fishing out of the back but thats where my big L shaped couch is and our stand up changing room, battery area is also. I'd have to climb over all that just to get to a rod and I also dont have a way to mount rod holders back there. Oh well guys thanks for the input on my questions I'll just deal with drifting out the side of the boat for now until I figure out something else.

14. Bluerider

Bluerider New Member

State:
    Bethalto, IL
    Thanks for the giggle, I needed that

15. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Have you tried draggin' a chain on the bottom? That should give it some pretty good resistance. Let more rope out on it for more resistance.