Can I get some help with some fishing terms???

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by upncomincatfishking, Feb 25, 2008.

1. upncomincatfishking

upncomincatfishking New Member

State:
    Cheviot Ohio
    need help understanding terms like backwash,outside bends,and so on and i see it in alot of peoples posts on here i know this might be a dumb question but i think it could really help my technique.Any help would be helpful.

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Back wash is whats left over when your beer bottle is almost empty.. Out side bends are when you run inside real quick with out decompressing. Hope this helps.... lol :eek:oooh::crazy::smile2::smile2:

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Back Wash: The way I understand it is when structure of some sort changes the current to flow back upstream. Similar to an eddy where the current swirls in a circle.

Outside Bend: geographically when a river or creek bends to the left...the right bank side would be the outside bend.

4. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio

Jack .... you are such a smartass ........ Lmao :big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

5. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    funyy jack:smile2:

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Wolfman nailed it pretty good, it took me a while to really understand some terms also when i first started, heck I am still learning. But its just like anything else, when you stop learning, its time to move onto another hobby, which I dont think will even happen..:wink:

7. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Caught a few.----- Means they didn't catch a thing. LOL!

8. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    wolfmans got it covered !

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Back wash is what my wife does when I come home from work.
    In fishing it is where the current of a river pushes excess water which either reverses itself upstrem like at a dam, or creates a quiet almost pondlike area adjacent to the main river. In times of very heavy flow these places can be deadly because most of the fish, bait and predator alike, head there to get relief from the current.

Outside bend- Look at a horse shoe, see the inside? See the outside? Apply that to the river. If you watch the current (float a stick) the side that the water flows to, where the stick hits shore, is the outside bend.

It is also the motion used to start a walk behind mower.

Rod- an elongated fishing device, usually paired with a high speed retrieval system sometimes called a reel.

It is also what I whupp my fishin partners with when they drop a sinker in the boat.

Sinker- a heavy weight attached to line to keep your hook down.

It is also a fishin partner that don't float.

Spot- A location where all the monsters lurk, held top secret in a military outpost against all comers, a tournament winner.

It is also what you leave on the floor when your fishin partner discovers you told somebody about "the spot"

Boat- a floating apparatus designed to carry fisherpeople and their gear. It is known to shrink the first time it gets put into water cuz it's always a hair too small.

It is also what you say to two partners when you need them too put the anchor out. "Can you boat grab an anchor.... and don't be fallin in!"

Run- a fish pulling line from the high speed retrieval apparatus. The sound has awoken many out of sound sleep to fight with a zipper, trip over the coffeepot tipping it over into the fire. Common to hear the phrase Fishon shortly thereafter unless like Jack you miss it then it seems to turn the air blue.

It is also the result 3 hours after Jack eats Phil's beans.

Riffle- Shallow faster water in a system that scours a hole or deep section in the river. Good for bait, good for active predators.

It is also what happens to your partners feathers when you tell him he tied his knot wrong.

Flathead- A catfish that looks like it's been hit in the head witha shovel aka Shovelhead.

It is also a disease on the Dresden and Riverside section of the Muskingum river first deteced and contracted by two fellas named Skippy and Rollo who found it hard to walk through doors when this viral infection attacked. It is caused by the adoration on newbies that grovel at their feet for information.
    It is also caused when one has a video published.

Channel cat- The most common of the catfish.

It is also the person who mans the remote. It is also a feral (domestic turned wild) cat that some use for bait with a little attractant (WD40) sprayed on.

Blue Cat- The largest of the species.

Also one lately teased by the Lady cat.

Circle Hook- A hook that sets without assistance from the fisherman.

A hook designed for dumb people, most notably conservatives.

Jay Hook- A style hook that looks like a jay and that you have to set to catch fish.

Also a punch you want to avoid by a man names Jay

Kahle hook- a hook that combines the best of 2 worlds. You can set or it will self hook

It is also a punch you want to avoid by a man named Kahle.

Knot- What you use to attach a line to a hook, of which there are dozens, all reputed to retain 150% of line strength.

It is also the bump on the head you have after being hit by Jay or Kahle.

Tackle box- A storage device designed with small compartments to store neccessary fishing items like fingernail clippers, lighter, cigs or chew, wd40, hypo needle for blowing air into worms, reflective tape, 3 types of line always tangled, and lures.

Also a box where you don't stand during a pro football game.

Lure- a piece of plastic, metal, feather or hair with hooks attached. Designed to attract different species of fisherman errr.... yeah I said it right.

It is also what a priest does..... It has no alternative meaning.

Hole- the deepest section of river.

It is also what you jump into to get away from Jay and Kahle.

Run- the stretch of water between the hole and the riffle usually the same depth all the way to the next riffle.

It is also what happens 3 hours after Jack eats Phil's beans.

Dock- A place to tie up your boat at the bar.

It is also who Jack goes to see 5 hours after eating Phil's beans.

Eddy- An area where the current swirls.

He is the manager of Jay and Kahle, not to be messed with as he is dangerous.

Bank- A place to fish when you don't have a boat. The best spot is the drive thru window.

It is also the place where Jack keeps his moldy a$$ money.

Shore- Same as bank.

It is also an expreesion used when it is time to come home as in "you ready to go" "Shore!"

Rod holder- a thing to hold your elongated casting device that falls into the water when you get a run. Evolved from a forked stick.

It is also slang for Lady of the Evening.

Addiction- what you get for visiting the BOC every day.

It is also the guy on the upper muskingum with a 20 foot SeaArk (A Dic* Shawn) had to spell that one out because this is a fishing board, and there is no WAY Ryang would figger it out.

If there are any other terms you need clarification on, just let me know.

Shawn(Coshocton, Ohio)

10. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    That was funny Shawn .... first time I have ever heard a Liberal say anything with any sustenance to it .......... Garry- :cool2:

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    lmao, easy this isnt the HI area. :big_smile:

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I just hope and pray that I'm not subjected to and endless barrage of Hillary and Obama talk while I'm tyring to fish next week.

13. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    You don't bring it up, I won't educate you. :wink:

Retired, you're learnin.

14. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    hog large swine
    also a very large member of any species of fish.
    chased by many caught only by a few.

15. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Also what my Momma says when I come home from a long trip. Cmere an let me give you a big ol hog!

16. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Look, I am as democratic as the next guy, but there is no way in hell I could go back into the Army, and serve under Hillary. Hell, If The Loanwizard was my LT in a fighting platoon, I would have to think twice as I tossed that grenade lol.

17. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    It might surprise you to know that if Hillary wins the nomination I will PROBABLY vote Republican for the very first time (National Election only, I have even donated to some local repubs here in town).

No matter cause Obama is going to win the whole thing anyhow.

18. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    If Obama wins it all .... then you won't have any trouble knowing what to buy your wives for Christmas .... a burka ... Wait ! ..... there may not be any Christmas !!! ......... :angry:

19. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Pole Grabber - Some one who grabs your pole before you can when you have a bite.

Post grabber - Some one who hijacks your thread and changes it to something else.

Both of these are considered very bad behavior. :roll_eyes:

20. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Short Strike- When the fish are not aggressive and you can't hook em.

Also a walkout of workers from the job that only lasts 15 minutes.

Cast- Tossing your line as close to shore as you can from a boat or tossing your line as close as you can get to the middle if you are on shore.

Also what you might have to wear for 6 weeks if Jay or Kahle get ahold of you.

Leader- The length of line between your hook and swivel.

Also when you follow your partner through the woods and YOU"RE the one gettin slapped with all the branches, he's the leader.

Snap swivel- the thingmajig that stops your sinker from hittin your hook.

Also what your head will do if hit by Jay or Kahle with one of them hooks.

Line- the long ropey suff on your high speed retrieval system.

Also the excuse that Skip gives when he gets skunked.

Hitch- what you use to tow your boat.

Also What DH and JW did when DH moved to Kentucky, got hitched

Anchor- Holds the boat in one spot.

Also what JW is gonna make me when he reads that last one.