Can i get a few suggestions on a bait tank?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by buster1395, Oct 7, 2008.

1. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
  2. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    That one may be ok for the winter months but You are only gonna have trouble in the warm months,It is not insulated.You will have a real hard time keeping any bait alive for long in the summer months.Best bet if it is in your budget is to go ahead and buy a good insulated tank and get it behind you,it will be well worth it in the long run,I would suggest a Super Bait Tank 2,Grayline or CreekBank,they aint cheap but they do what they advertise.:wink:

3. bruce edmunds

bruce edmunds New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    i have a greyline 30 gallon ,the best around i think never had any bait die in it ,they are top of the line.give rodger a call he will fix you up

4. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    You guys know the price range of these tanks? What would be the best size tank for 3 or 4 dozen herring and 10 or 12 perch at a time?

Anyone got a used tank like those grayline tanks I would love to save a few bucks.

5. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I have the SB2 30 gallon,great tank and they are made in Easley,SC,they run about $500 for the 30 gallon,most others are in the same price range,I would at least go with a 30gal for that many baits,they make a 40 and 50 as well as a 20gal

6. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    Chris

Marty is right. Even though you can get by with a plain tank, the commercial ones with an aeration/filter system and insulation is the way to go if LIVE shad or herring is what you want. I have probably spent more than the cost of a good tank trying to achieve the same results making one. That being said, I think fresh fresh dead bait is equally effective for cats (blue and channel). Bream are pretty easy to keep alive without a commercial tank if you are going for the flatties.

7. buster1395

buster1395 New Member

State:
    Abbeville, Sout
    Well guys thanks for the tips. As much as I would have liked to have a grayline or sb2 tank I couldn't spend the extra cash. I found a guy in Augusta that sells Keep Alive tanks and got a very good deal I think. He sold me a brand new 30 gallon insulated tank with the upgraded size ka1100 aerator for $300 shipped. I also bought some Sure Life Shad Keeper formula for the water. Should this be all I need or do you guys suggest I use something different for the water treatment?

8. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Use 1-1 1/2 cups of salt{water softner} per 30 gallons with shad or herring for stress relief,dont need it as much with bream or perch
    You can also use some Zeolite packs from a pet store to soak up ammonia buildup

9. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    I bet you will catch a lot of fish using your new tank. Congrats!!

10. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    Buster,you will need some"foam off" for the water also,if you have shad in the tank,sure life makes it or you can use non dairy coffee creamer,it will work fine.I know you allready have a new tank on the way but on the striperboard.com website someone has a tanks for sale at about all times.Theres a 40 gallon super baitII for $250.00 I have one thats 11 years old,the only thing that you will wear out is the pump.When you catch gizzard shad you will have to clean your filter a good bit because of all the slime and junk they spit up.The insulated tank is a good investement especially if you do much hot weather fishing.

11. martygreen

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I put him on the same one Sam,great minds think alike I guess,Sam is right,I forgot about the foam off,it does a great job as well

12. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    30 gallon Creek works best for me. I've read on here and also been told over the years not to dissolve the foam as it goes down into the water and will cause the shads gills to become clogged. I always keep it dipped off with my bait net. Also don't overcrowd. Creeks are made in Albamare N.C.. I have had the same problems with two 30 gallon keep-a-lives that I've seen posted on the BOC quite a few times now. Keep-A-Live is a very good tank ex-cept for shad in my experience. They would work great for me with a few more issues worked out. Still use one now in salt-water on a friends boat and does a good job.

13. dudley-1

dudley-1 New Member

State:
    SOUTH CAROLINA
    I feel like the filtration of a tank is just as important as the insulation is.Them nice slimy fresh caught gizzards will clog something up quick.