Can I eat a Catfish that has tapeworms?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Guthooked, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
    I went fishing this afternoon and I caught about 10 keeper sized channels. I brougtht them home and cleaned them. When I was cleaning up I saw that there was two tapeworms on my cleaning table. I am hesitant to eat the fish since I found the tapeworms. Are they safe to eat?

2. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

yuck and no.... when i doubt throw it out!!!!be safe out there

3. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Actually they are safe to eat, provided you don't do it sushi style.

350 degree cooking oil and any tape worms would be fried... besides from what i understand they are living in their guts not their filets.

4. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    They do live in the guy when fish get them.

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I woulnd'nt because the actual worm may be killed or segments therof; the cysts are what would be worrysom. you cant see those! Better to be safe than sorry! JMHO

6. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    the way i see it is that tapeworms live in the hosts guts and feeds on the energy particles that comes from the hosts food. i see that it would probably be safe to eat but if it was one catfish that had it in em then throw it out. best bets would be that you might get sick because the cat would be starving since the worm would eat all the mushy food!

7. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I did a search and while un appealing most all fish tape worms and other parisites are not transferable to humans. Most state D.N.R. websites said prepare as you normaly would as they are safe to eat! Still it's a little disturbing!

8. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I just could not force myself to eat a wormy fish. safe or not!!

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Shame CPR wasn't practiced. Then there would be no problem. LOL. I do believe the fish would be safe due to the afore mentioned threads on the temperature the fish was cooked and the entrails have been removed. It is just the psychological thought that would make the fish bad - and that should not hurt you.

10. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Guthooked, are you sure that they were tapeworms. About 25% of my cats seem to have those little flukes on them usually on the head and around the mouth. They really get them bad when they come off the nest, because of the weakened state they are in. As long as you thouroughly cook your fish, you shouldn't get any parasites that they have. Vern

11. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    If we checked out the intestines of most of the wild and many of the domestic critters we eat,we would find worms.If you don;t believe me,start looking.They are safe as long as cooked properly,and you have been eating such critters all your life.Ranchers,Farmers,Vets and homeowners have to repeatedly worm their animals of all species.You can eat your flesh out of a burger joint or the river,you still have the worms.If you refuse to eat flesh that had worms,please practice catch and release and become a vegetarian.I have seen it all of my life and was taught it in my agriculture classes in high school.Please do not waste good fish and game.peewee-williams

12. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I remember looking at a piece of pork chop in a microscope in high school! Yuck!

13. ozzfreak

ozzfreak New Member

State:
    Berryville, Arkansas
    If they truly were tapeworms, I just coudn't force myself to eat them, I need to lose a little weight, but not from a parasite, lol.

14. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Fish are cold blooded, humans are Warm blooded. Parasites that like fish, don't like you because of this difference.

15. ozzfreak

ozzfreak New Member

State:
    Berryville, Arkansas
    That makes sense, but it would still just be a mental thing for me.

16. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Coldn't be any worse than my wifes cooking.......:big_smile:

17. Lawdog

Lawdog New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    don't take the chance. When in doubt, throw it out.

18. pursuit

pursuit New Member

State:
    CA
    Although a waste of natural resource I wouldn't eat them because of the psychological factor. Make them into cat food or something. Dogs also love a good fish fry. I have seen many parasites in game fish from my experience and it's not too appealing. Like other people said, it won't hurt you but the thought itself would make a great tasting meal go bad.

At least these are not worms that are in the actual fish fillet itself. Once, I had to throw away delicious Halibut steaks from a 40+ # fish because I saw 3 six inch earthworm looking critters in the white flesh. On another SW species, I discovered what I thought was blood vessel in the fish to be actual parasites. I made this discovery when I left the fillet out in the kitchen sink for about half an hour. Next thing you know, the fillet was covered with nasty tiny little worms moving around. Luckily, I didn't bag these fillet or battered them.