Can I Do This (Transom)?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Spider, May 12, 2009.

1. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    My boat had a piece of plywood attached on the inside of the transom. The transom is an inner and outer aluminum wall with wood core. I'm guessing that the plywood was a cushion so the OB clamps didn't deform the transom aluminum. The clamps had pretty much buried into the plywood and made two round cavities from clamping. I'm wondering if I could replace this plywood with a piece of 3/8" aluminum sheet instead of wood? The OB is only a 9.9 HP and the boat is rated for a max of 20 HP. I'm only wondering if the OB clamps would be able to move on the aluminum because of not being able to bite in.
    Thoughts?

2. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Larry, I think you have hit the nail on the head when you said that the clamps would move around on the aluminum. I think you either need to bolt the motor to the transom or replace wood on the transom with another piece of wood.

3. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    Those were my thoughts when I posted this question. I had the aluminum laying around and it was a thought. I'm going to go with a pices of 5/8" Marine plywood I left over from cutting out for my new transom insert. If need be, it can easily be replaced if it wears out.
    Thanks.

4. Soonerdg

Soonerdg New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have an alumacraft jon boat that has an aluminum plate that the motor clamps bolt down on and I don't have any trouble with it sliding around.

5. Joe

Joe Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    I used to have an old aluminum boat that the motor clamped on aluminum. It was never a problem, I never thought about it at the time, otherwise I would have guessed it would have slid around some.

6. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    I made one out of some leftover plywood. I have the aluminum one I made and could easily put it on if I want to. No big deal with the plywood. I was just thinking that the aluminum one would never be any problem like wood with rot/crush or other issue involiving a wood product.