can i change out 35hp for a 85?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by leftemptyhanded, Feb 10, 2009.

1. leftemptyhanded

leftemptyhanded New Member

State:
    St.Joseph,Missouri
    i have an 87 alumacraft v bottom 17 and a half ft wondering if i can change out the 35hp and put an 85 on it.cant find ratings on the boat and i cant find info on the net anybody have any links?

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    yes seems a 17 footer should hold it

3. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    how wide is it thats what really matters

4. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    I had a 100 on a 17 deep v!:eek:oooh: it would haul bootie, It finally quit running!

5. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Here is a link that you can look at http://www.iboats.com/Alumacraft_Boats/bp/20br1008. I don't know about yours, but my duracdraft thats the same size as yours will only hold a 70 horse although diferent companies have different capacities. hope the link helps.

6. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    we ve got a 17.5' polar kraft semi v and it is rated for a 25 to 85 hp can you call a boat place that would know about your brand USA BOATWORKS IN KC K
    they are a good place for us because they have people that know about older boating equipment and they may have some info onit or we have found manuals on the internet

7. leftemptyhanded

State:
    St.Joseph,Missouri
    man i just got on iboats and they rated it for 50 that sucks.think i should try to push it?i have a 35 merc and want to get 85 johnson im its useally just me and a buddy does passenger weight have any effect to what they rate the motor?

8. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, per the Coast Guard regulations your boat has to have a plate fastened to it somewhere stating how many passengers/weight and horsepower it is rated for. I think it would handle the 85 okay but you will have to use good judgement and accept any responsibility if something went wrong. Chris

9. jasonminitruck

jasonminitruck New Member

State:
    tennessee
    personaly I wouldn't do it you could crack the transom, or damage other parts of the structural integrity of the boat with the torque that the 85 horse would put out. I would go with the max that is recomended for the boat.

10. leftemptyhanded

State:
    St.Joseph,Missouri
    i wonder what the weight difference is between the 35 and 85 it was rated for 50 on that iboats.com.has anyone heard of guys going bigger that what there rated for?

11. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Man, I wouldnt do it, I know I told earler, I had a 100 on one I was a big water boat and was rated for a 125!
    If it messed it up you would be worse off, IMO stick to the 50!

12. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    wrong or right my 17 foot boat is rated for a 90 hp. motor. I have had a 115 hp. on it for the last ten years with no problems. But - - - I baught the boat with no motor and thats what I had to put on it. I did put a piece of plate steal behind it to help the transom :smile2:

13. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    What I would do is call the manufacture and with serial # in hand they will tell ya in a heart beat and also tell them their is no rating plate on the boat bet they would send you one:wink:, why guess:confused2:

14. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I would think, other than the safety factor, is that where you will possibly run into trouble is with the Water Patrol if they pull you over for an inspection.

Another factor would be the insurance company. If you had an accident on the water and they can find any excuse at all not to pay they will. An improperly, illegally equipped boat would fall into this category in my opinion.

Good Luck.

15. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Find ya a good 40hp if you have the gumption....shoot bet ya could ski behind it then:tounge_out:

16. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It seems like a year and a half ago I sent Whistler a formula I found in the USCG rules about how to determine the maximum horsepower for a boat, and maximum weight for a boat. This article is in the Library and I have referred several people to it over the period of time.

You may not agree with the result you receive, but I'd personally like to caution you in the sense that if it could be proven that you knowingly exceeded the max HP for your craft, you could be held criminally liable for death, injuries and.or property damages. Best bet is simply comply with the law/rules.

17. Steven Armstrong

Steven Armstrong New Member

State:
    Sallisaw,Oklahoma
    i don`t know anything about the laws up north but in oklahoma, if ever inspected by the lake patrol a ticket would be written , i work with an x lake patrol he says that inspection plate is one of the first things they look for you must have that here and must not exceed weight, motor size or people allowed