Can I Catch Rabbits With A Muskrat Foothold?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by channelcat_tracker, May 26, 2006.

1. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i now gaurantee 223smitty will look at this post like everyother post. well heres my question. i have a teacher who has a corn, strawberry and lettuce etc.. garden. well with that comes rabbits. what i am going to tell you is what i think will happen. well he is paying me 5 dollars a rabbit to trap and get out of there. well my homemade boxtraps are either destroyed from the harsh weather or wont catch anything. so do you guys think that if i put a small foothold or muskrat foothold by that garden and put corn or clover etc. on the trap, do you think i could catch em. plus id put a 110 by their holes to get them also. well i personally think that i can as well as that post with the 220 and carp. well go ahead and give me your answers!

2. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    OK, I know I sound like a broken record, but be sure it's legal for you to trap rabbits at this time of the year.

I'd probably use a cage (live) trap. Keep in mind & be aware of the neighbors animals (pets) with footholds & bodygrips. Regardless of how responsible YOU are, all pet owners aren't! (leash law)

If you catch 5 rabbits....5 more will follow. Exclusion (putting-up a fence) would be the best way to keep them out of the garden.

Smitty

3. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    One other thing (just re-read your post), don't put your bait/lure right on top of your trap. You want their (whatever you're trapping) attention to be focused on the bait/lure....not on the trap, they'll step in the trap while "working" your set.

Smitty

4. channelcat_tracker

State:
    Iowa
    ok but when im trapping is about the first or so week of september when the season will be just picking up for rabbits. um i think i said that post wrong i wanted to put like corn in a small trail and then put some dirt over the trap and put the corn on top of that dirt on the pan so the bunny will put his head in it or foot. also i want the bunnies to keep coming because thats just more trapping money in my pocket. also i think its more fun trapping than puttin up a fence! you know what i mean smitty?:lol: :big_smile: :roll_eyes:

5. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    Usually leg hold traps are required to be put in a den or something. Just setting them on top of the ground where anything can step in them is generally illegal and also irresponsible. Get you some lumber and make some cheap rabbit boxes. The kind where they trip the notched stick and the door falls down. You can safely release the rabbit and catch it over and over until your neighbor is broke.

6. OsageCountyCatman

OsageCountyCatman New Member

State:
    Osage City, KS
    My late father was a cop for Topeka PD. Back during the early 70's he used to run box traps along the river levees when he worked night shift. How he made them I dunno, that art unfortunately went to his grave.

I do still have the .22 revolver he used on them however.

7. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I dont usually deal with rabbits on the job. If I do a .22 has always worked. What do you bait you rabbit boxes with? I have two I made just to fool around with in the yard and my garden and I put cut apples in them but they didnt catch any rabbits so i shot them with the .22.
    Thanks
    Stephen

8. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    as a boy we used to put cabbage leaves in rabbit boxes, course we caught possums too!

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    We used Sweet Potato for rabbits around Santee in the 50,s.It is VERY hard to bait all animals in the summer as there is too much food available.Most animals will go to salt anytime.Pellet guns and a flashlight work well.Try to find a light with the old type bulbs.They REFLECT the rabbits eyes a lot better than the new halogen bulbs.peewee-williams

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Grumpy.Shame on you for the last remark.We are suppose to be teaching sportsmanship and setting a example for our young people.Heh,heh,heh.I like to have died laughing.peewee-williams

11. channelcat_tracker

State:
    Iowa
    i dont set the traps just plain anywhere. just a 110 in there holes and a foothold next to their feedin site and thats it. gettin paid so hush up tellin me its useless. i need to make 2000 dollars to get a .223 and then the rest goes in my bank account by my choice. i need to get to college!

12. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I agree with 223smitty on the rabbit trapping. First off check and see if its legal as its not here in Ohio even with a box trap which is the way to go for rabbits. They are simple to make and sometimes don't even need bait because rabbits like to run into places like a trap or tunnel to hide when spooked but a good bait is lettuce leaves and crush them a little to put off a stronger smell or pull some clover and put in the box. I think you can find directions on how to build a rabbit trap on the internet.

13. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina

First off telling people to hush up when they are trying to help you is not a good way to get get anymore advice. I am young just getting out of college and people that have been trapping for years are the way to learn the skill. It is not just about setting traps and hopping something gets into it. If you are setting footholds out you are just setting them anywhere. Even if it is next to their feeding site that does not mean the rabbits are the only ones that feed there or travel though there. Also putting 110's in the entrance of their hole doesnt nessarly men that it is safe. All kinds of animals including domestic animals use those same holes. What if a domestic dog smelled the rabbit in the hole and stuck his nose in the hole and he 110 closed on him. It could kill him if it was to hit him right. The you are looking at a lawsuit which I dont care how much money you have you dont have enough for that. Then you wont be going to college because you wont be able to afford it or be able to get a loan with th lawsuit against you. You must think about all aspects of a nuisance wildlife job before you begin. Thats my 2 cents.

14. channelcat_tracker

State:
    Iowa
    wow never looked at it that way. i guess ill use a box trap or just go out on a dark night with a lite and pellet gun and get em that way. i appreciate your advice. dont think i was thinkin right when i told you guys to hush up but i am getting paid for this and dont think its right to discourage people to the point where its useless to go after that job. well keep postin