Can Hogs really screw up fishing in a river?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by TX Fisherman, Dec 20, 2006.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    ive heard that hogs can screw up the fishing in certain parts of river because of there droppings? is this true?

2. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I think that it would take alot of swine to disrupt the ecology of a river, such as a confinement or stockyard. Some feral hogs or if a farmer that has a few for his personal use should cause minimal damage to the water, feral hogs can really screw with the pheasant and quail population.

Aaron Drier

TA2D

3. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Yeh hogs can pollute an river or pond. Lake Shafer has been closed for swimming because of a hog farm leak. There are ponds around here that can not be fished because the hogs have been in them. Nasty nasty stuff.
    Bill

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Live stock feeding operations have the potential for serious pollution. Some brothers in North Carolina may have a few stories about pig farming operations in that state. As i recall, when I lived in South Carolina, at least one river was being seriously polluted by runoff from pig farms.

5. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    After hurricane floyd here in N.C. the neuse river basin got pretty messed up for a while after a lot of hog farms flooded.

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The rains of Floyd not only flooded the hog farms the media and state wants you to know about but every waste water treatment plant from Goldsboro on was flooded. Caskets were popping up out of the ground right and left and joining the other contents of the river.

Farmers have been the scapegoat for the river pollution for ages here.
    Most people that read the newspapers and watch the news on TV have never and never will paddle down the Neuse but they soak up all the disinformation like a dry sponge.
    The fact is that there was a half million gallon sewage plant spill last week in Durham. The chances of any of those in NC knowing about it are slim because it was buried in a single paragraph grave deep in the back of the News and Disturber. There are alot of municipality spills yearly in this state. Remember earlier this year they had to close Lake Wheeler and Lake Benson because of a busted sewer line in Cary? that isn't the first time. I've seen raw sewage floating on Wheeler several times. I'm not talking about a cupful, I'm talking a slick.
    Had it been a hog farm that spilled just 50,000 gallons it would have been front page in every paper in the state along with discussion of fines and penalties said farmer faces.
    Those of us that have fished the Neuse know that it aint hogs using the feminine hygeine products,birth control, toilet paper, drink bottles, beer cans, tires, or bait cups we routinely see on the river.

My family makes their living hog farming so I am aware of alot of the restrictions placed on farmers pertaining to lagoons.Things the media fails to mention. It is heavily regulated and heavily inspected. You pretty much have to employ one person just to handle the paper work associated with lagoons and spraying. Lagoons have to maintain certain levels and cant be pumped below certain levels. You have to have a certain amount of acreage per hog house to spray on. You cant spray if its raining or windy. You can only spray a certain number of inches on row crop. It's complicated but the farmers are adhering to the guidelines set by the feds and the state because they are still in business. They continually have more regs thrown at them costing them 100's of thousands of dollars to adhere to but they manage to do it.

The farmers do more as stewards of the land and its natural resources then the state or feds ever thought about doing in NC. Hog farms do get soil and conservation awards. This one has. A farmer makes a living off the land. He is going to be the last one to destroy it.

What really ticks me off is seeing people in a store talk crap about a hog farmer while they are stuffing their face with a sausage biscuit. I guess some folks think pork falls off passing clouds and lands on grocery store shelves.

The municipalities have always and will always pose more of a threat to the rivers here then a farmer. There is proof of this. You just have to read the entire newspaper from front to back and read the fine print.

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    My dad used to raise hogs, and most of his neighbors that moved in after he was already raising them complained. Hey these folks move in the country and then bitch about the smells. I just laugh.

They need to stay in towns or live in a subdivision. LOL LOL

8. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    so it can screw up fishing, okay thanks alot. btw oh no, youre defanitly right about the smell thing.

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    pollution is all around us but if it happens up river the folks in the down flow dont hear about it , but feel it when we dont catch fish